• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing No "Trigger Creep" in cocked but creep in decocked

long range fire

Private
Minuteman
Jun 25, 2008
WA, USA
I have a "new to me" Remington 700P, it comes with older trigger, not the X-Mark Pro type. The trigger feels great, but I read about various posts about trigger creep.

I initially thought the trigger has a bit of creep, because the trigger would move somewhat when in decocked position. However, when the action is cocked, the trigger creep appears to be gone. The pull is a little bit heavier than I like, but there's no creep when I actually pull the trigger on cocked the action to dry fire it.

So I'm wondering if this is OK, or if movement in decocked condition signals some type of inconsistency or creep that will occur in actual firing.

Re: No "Trigger Creep" in cocked but creep in decocked

The movement you feel when it isn't cocked is the overall length of travel.

There is still the same amount of movement when cocked, but under tension you aren't "feeling" the engagement travel between the connector and sear.

Completely normal if I am understanding your situation correctly...and if I've explained it correctly.

What you're feeling is the 'overtravel', meaning after the sear has released, the movement the trigger will make before stopping. Some like a lot, most like minimal overtravel. 'Creep' would be the amount of trigger travel you feel BEFORE the sear releases and there definitely the least is prefered.

I may be a Heritic(sp?), but when going back and forth between a gas gun with a 2 Stage, and a bolt gun, I like a bit of creep, just so the 2 trigger pulls are somewhat, in a broad brush sort of way, the same....

I see, thanks for the info. So it looks the trigger doesn't have much creep, but there's some overtravel.

Is the Remington700 pre-X-Mark trigger adjustable for over travel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: long range fire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Is the Remington700 pre-X-Mark trigger adjustable for over travel? </div></div>

Absolutely. There is an adjustment for pull weight, sear engagement, and over travel.
The one on the rear is sear engagement
The front bottom one is pull weight, and the one above that on the front is over travel.

...if I remember correctly. Sorry if that's wrong, I forget some things I don't do real often