• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Node Groups

Rarebreed93

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2010
oHIo
I've been working on shooting groups with RL15 and Varget powders.
I have found a group that I like but did not have my Chrony set up to get the speeds.
I have put the numbers into QL and they give me a MV speed of 2392 using 41.5 of Varget w/208 Amax bullet.
My question is; "How do I find out how far this load will shoot accurately"
Will this load go to 1K?
Thanks

Re: Node Groups

It would remain supersonic at 1k but not by much. I would think that your'e probably about 100-150fps shy of where you should/could be.

Thanks Snkbit,
I've read that link in the past and MontanaMarine has some great info.
My specs are not the same as his ie,
208 Amax (Moly)
Fireformed
Lupua
CCI BR 2 primer
Remmy .308 barrel 1/12 twist
24.5 barrel length
OAL 3.240 .010 off lands
41.5 Varget
I tried up to 44.5 Varget, showed no signs of pressure but the groups weren't as good.
MM was using RL-17 powder, I'm using RL-15
With the RL-15 I was getting great groups at 44gr (but still have no speed)

208 amax out of a 1:12" twist would be your answer to crapy groups! As would the slow speeds.

208 amax is better suited for 30 cal magnums imo, but your view may vary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">208 amax out of a 1:12" twist would be your answer to crapy groups! As would the slow speeds.

208 amax is better suited for 30 cal magnums imo, but your view may vary</div></div>

I would have to agree on the .208 being better suited for .30 cal magnums but seems like a lot of people are getting good if not great results from a .308 1:12 setup. To each his own I guess.

Well, If it works for them then im happy for them.

If a bullet manufacturer says not suitable for a particular twist, i trust in their judgement.

RB,

2nd snkbit. Try the RL 17 or VV N550. I move moly JLK 210s out at 2650, and can get 2700 pushing hard. You'll want to keep the velocity above 1300 at the target for accuracy.

HTH,
DocB

A 208 will work in a 1:12" twist, if you push them fast in a 308 Win. It is right on the edge, though. We have shot many 1:12" twists with the 208, and some have been extremely accurate. However, the bullet/load needs to be tested at 300 or further yards to know it's true accuracy. The bullet has not gone to sleep at 100 or even 200 yards. For an F-T/R 8, 9, 1K yard bullet, I think it is a great choice, since drop is not a huge factor, and less wind drift is.