• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noise cancelling ear protection...

boisepaw

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2020
Queenstown, MD
I am interested in upgrading from my fitted ear plugs that no longer fit very well. In particular I have seen ads for a product like Axil's noise cancelling Bluetooth ear buds. I like something like that for a number of reasons.

I don't like using traditional muff because I can't get the cheek weld I'd like.

Suggestions for really effective ear protection that is less bulky and has other features like noise cancellation and Bluetooth?

Reactions: jp_over and Erich
I'd be interested in this too, for the exact same reason - the proper cheek weld opens the seal on the over-the-ear muff types for me.

Reactions: bearring
I remember seeing some bad reviews of Axils on here. I’m using 3M Peltor EEP-100s.

Would even the walkers slim be a no go for you? Haven’t done a run and gun yet with mine, but from dry fire, I have a better cheek weld than traditional muffs.

Reactions: BC47
Would even the walkers slim be a no go for you? Haven’t done a run and gun yet with mine, but from dry fire, I have a better cheek weld than traditional muffs.

I gave that same set of walkers to my mother who only runs handguns because I couldn’t get a good cheek weld either. I searched for an over the ear pro that would t interfere with stocks and I went with the Comtacs and they work great for whatever I’m shooting. No problems prone with a 300WM, no problems with an MP5 or other run and gun rifles. Only problem I had was the price tag but I’m reminded that it was a good investment every time I shoulder up. The gel cups are damn comfy too.

I considered in ear noise canceling and I didn’t find any reviews that were solidly on the good side. A lot of middle of the road reviews.

Reactions: WEV2102
Ear Inc just adopted a new product that I've been testing and it's fantastic. The new product is called the Saf-T-Ear, which are similar to products from Etymotic and Hear Defender and a number of others, but they incorporated these with the custom molded silicone ear plugs. These insert into the custom molds and allow you the protection of the custom molded plugs but allow hearing ambient sounds through the electronics. Best of all, these, unlike a large number of the in ear electronic plugs don't those expensive and short-life hearing device batteries. These come with a case that carries a charge (rechargeable by USB) that will keep the electronics charged up.

One other advantage. If you choose to get the custom molded plugs, they'll come with additional silicone inserts so if your electronics are not charged up, your molded plugs are still usable, though without the electronics. The pricing is pretty competitive on these.

I bought some Otto noise barriers but they didn’t seem to block enough noise. My ears would ring after the first shot every time but that was with a braked rifle. They would be great for hunting, pistol, shotgun but they just didn’t fit my needs.

How do you like them?
Quite a bit. They’re my first in ear electronic so I can’t really compare it to others but I haven’t noticed a huge difference on the noise suppression compared to my MSAs. Haven’t had any issue with them falling out. I’m currently using them with the skull screw tips. I wasn’t ready to spend the money on Ottos and got these for around 130. Figure I’ll check if my health insurance would cover customs before shelling Otto money.

Reactions: Krob95
I was eyeing the Walker's Silencer Bluetooth 2.0 while browsing Experticity, but I'd like to hear more real-world feedback on them.

I'm going to schedule a meeting with an audiologist and see what they can offer. I'm ready to spend whatever I need if they fit good, cancel loud noises, and amplify speech.

Reactions: straightandtrue
Lord... $350+ for these friggin' things? Common man. I wonder if I can get insurance to fork up some dimes.

Skip putting chassis and what not on the PRS winner table... put some of these fancy pants ear buds on the table. Then they can be sold for only a whopping $50 off by the person that won them here on Sniper's Hide. What a deal!

Lord... $350+ for these friggin' things? Common man. I wonder if I can get insurance to fork up some dimes.

Skip putting chassis and what not on the PRS winner table... put some of these fancy pants ear buds on the table. Then they can be sold for only a whopping $50 off by the person that won them here on Sniper's Hide. What a deal!

I remember seeing them at the Grind a few years back. Might be at other matches too, just depends who wants to support the sport.

I run the walker's and they work great for me

With the OTTO and any of the similar products that can use different tips, the most important part to having them work well is choosing the right tip for your ears. These products can be paired with foam, rubber, pvc (flange) tips. For me, the pvc tips don't work as effectively as the foam tips. For others, it's the opposite. If you have these and find they're not blocking as much noise as you'd like, try different tips.

I am interested in upgrading from my fitted ear plugs that no longer fit very well. In particular I have seen ads for a product like Axil's noise cancelling Bluetooth ear buds. I like something like that for a number of reasons.

I don't like using traditional muff because I can't get the cheek weld I'd like.

Suggestions for really effective ear protection that is less bulky and has other features like noise cancellation and Bluetooth?

I've had a couple pairs of the Actfires now for over a year. I think they were about 40 buck at Amazon. I use them several times a week and they work great. No bluetooth though. But, when you turn them on, you can hear everything else loud and clear except the gun report.

Ear Inc just adopted a new product that I've been testing and it's fantastic. The new product is called the Saf-T-Ear, which are similar to products from Etymotic and Hear Defender and a number of others, but they incorporated these with the custom molded silicone ear plugs. These insert into the custom molds and allow you the protection of the custom molded plugs but allow hearing ambient sounds through the electronics. Best of all, these, unlike a large number of the in ear electronic plugs don't those expensive and short-life hearing device batteries. These come with a case that carries a charge (rechargeable by USB) that will keep the electronics charged up.

One other advantage. If you choose to get the custom molded plugs, they'll come with additional silicone inserts so if your electronics are not charged up, your molded plugs are still usable, though without the electronics. The pricing is pretty competitive on these.
These appear to be the OTTO repackaged by EAR. Same logo, same case etc. I am interested in the custom molded earpeice for these. I think I will call and ask them some questions.

Can you tell me how well the directional awareness works with these. I have tried other brands and was dis-satisfied. Most work great for shooting, but are lacking for say bird hunting where direction is crucial. Specifically dove and quail hunting.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

JR

Reactions: RS14 and WEV2102
I use the OTTO Noizebarriers. Have been pretty satisfied thus far.
Concur. I used my Otto’s in a recent two day PRS match. They worked well for protection and come with several sizes of plugs to try. The only way to get really comfortable in ear plugs is to use some type of molded product, IMHO. Fully agree with some of the other posters - don’t cheap out on ear pro. Once lost, it can never be recovered. I have a pair of non electronic custom molded that have lasted well over a decade I originally bought for sporting clays. I also use the gel,pad comtacs for pistol; really helps when listening for range commands. ESP makes some of the highest end in ear products out there today.

I use foam earplugs and walkers slim. Never had hearing trouble or cheek weld issues. And I do three gun.

MSA Sordin's are my over ear choice. They ride pretty high and don't really interfere with my cheek weld that much. That being said on sweaty days they did get annoying and move around some so I did some digging and I found quite possibly the most expensive ear pro I have ever seen.

Harris and Sons custom electronic ear buds. They easily can cost over 1.5 grand. But OMG the difference is insane. They can do custom mapping on what you hear and some models can have downloadable maps for different shooting sports. You go see an audiologist and get ear molds taken (usually between 50-100 bucks) then send them off to Harris and Sons and it takes about 4-6 weeks for them to make your custom set.

Have never had them feel loose or fall out and the warranty is good.

https://harrisandsons.com/shop/ is the starting place. Again NOT WALLET FRIENDLY. But man is it a whole new world shooting with them.

Reactions: WEV2102

I have axil's and they work great for shooting. However i was/am disappointed in the ability to use them as ear buds. They hear great just i have a hard time getting them in the right position for a caller to hear me. And for the price they should have had mics on both sides. My opinion!

Good discussion - I'm also interested to see if there are any new products that are a worthwhile hearing protection upgrade.

I've been using the Axil GS Extreme for the past few weeks... I had no intentions of using them as an ear bud to talk on the phone etc.
They work as exected and do everything as advertised... the sound amplification works well, the noise cancelation works well. Only thing I have that annoys me is when very windy they act just like the walkers game ears etc. but I'll take it as I hated everything about ear muffs, bulk interference with stock etc. etc.

For the price I'm more than pleased so far.

Reactions: Bignic83
I have the Howard Leights w/ the gel ear surrounds. They work and I can get a cheek weld but I prefer in ear and the over the ear create a lot of sweat where the ear surrounds contact my skin. Especially in hot weather. So I generally wear my molded in ear passive and it's difficult to hear anyone or anything. Gonna try the Ottos to see if they solve both issues.

I’m shopping too. Really like over-in ear. My right ear gets popped sometimes when muffs lose seal due to cheek weld. I have some Walker in ear ones that don’t work for very long, hard to seal etc.

These appear to be the OTTO repackaged by EAR. Same logo, same case etc. I am interested in the custom molded earpeice for these. I think I will call and ask them some questions.

Can you tell me how well the directional awareness works with these. I have tried other brands and was dis-satisfied. Most work great for shooting, but are lacking for say bird hunting where direction is crucial. Specifically dove and quail hunting.
Any feedback would be appreciated.

JR

I've only had them on the shooting range so far (fairly new) and haven't used them in the field yet. They do seem to give some sense of direction for ambient sounds. And yes, the Saf-T-Ear appears to be rebranded OTTO Noizebarriers , with OTTO focusing on the "tactical" market and Saf-T-Ear on the industrial/commercial market. That being the case, if you already have the OTTOs you can probably get the custom molded sleeves for them from Ear Inc. You'll want to ask them about the Chameleon sleeves (custom molds) for the Saf-T-Ear. Let me know if you have any additional questions. Maybe I'll post some photos later when I get a chance.

I've only had them on the shooting range so far (fairly new) and haven't used them in the field yet. They do seem to give some sense of direction for ambient sounds. And yes, the Saf-T-Ear appears to be rebranded OTTO Noizebarriers , with OTTO focusing on the "tactical" market and Saf-T-Ear on the industrial/commercial market. That being the case, if you already have the OTTOs you can probably get the custom molded sleeves for them from Ear Inc. You'll want to ask them about the Chameleon sleeves (custom molds) for the Saf-T-Ear. Let me know if you have any additional questions. Maybe I'll post some photos later when I get a chance.

I'm a newbie to this Forum and PRS but have recent experience with solving this problem for other shooting sports.

I hope this is helpful:
Consider Etymotic Research GSP-15. Etymotic Research is a maker of hearing aids and high-end, in-ear earphones. For nearly 20 years, I have used their earphones for long-distance air travel [8+ hours/day] and they seal out the noise very well. I use the black large foam eartips which insert like your typical shooters ear plugs. They have a smaller foam eartip, also.

These electronic earpro plugs use the same foam ear tips, as well as other eartips. The technicians are helpful on the phone and indicated the electronic earplugs, when used with the black tips, give a NRR of 40-45 [your results may vary]. I have used them and they work great--no more problems with cheek weld and sweaty, over-ear phones. They come with several eartips and a leather case [call them and ask for the plastic clamshell case instead]. You can get custom molded ear inserts if you go to an audiologist but I learned that makes the earphones stick out of your ear a bit. For now, I'll stick with the foam.

PROS--small, effective, easy to use, experienced manufacturer
CONS--expensive [$300], need batteries [about 50 cents a pair]

I hope this is helpful to someone reading.

Of course, I have no affiliation with this company nor any financial interest in their products--just wanted to share my experience.

Otto's with the foam tips here as well. Work great.

I got my molds done by house of hearing at uspsa nats in 2019 for a set of sound gear platinums. Best money I’ve ever spent. Granted with ROing open uspsa guns I still double up but that’s always been the case.

They seem sufficient when shooting braked center fire rifles. Suppressed rifles and non-compensated handguns they are plenty fine. It does take a range session to get the sound gear setting figure out to your personal preference.

My favorite thing about them besides the comfort is sound direction is the most natural compared to any other ear pro I’ve ever used.

Otto was was awesome till i had charging issues. 2 years old and they refused to fix them.

I use foam earplugs and walkers slim. Never had hearing trouble or cheek weld issues. And I do three gun.

This, I use ear plugs and either walker razors or 3m peltor 100. I crank the electronic hearing protection up high so I can hear people speak but between the ear plugs and muffs I have a lot of noise cancellation.

I use both insert ear plugs and over the ear muffs. Best combination for hearing preservation. I do have a tough time getting a good cheek weld on a few rifles, though.

Ok, here is my question since I am in the market as well.

Has anyone doubled up electronic protection. In ear noise canceling with electronic muffs over the top. Example EEP100 with Howard Leight Muffs over the top. Seems like the best of both worlds.....

Has anyone doubled up electronic protection. In ear noise canceling with electronic muffs over the top. Example EEP100 with Howard Leight Muffs over the top. Seems like the best of both worlds.....
I will know soon, ordered a pair of the EEP100 to try under Peltor ProTacs. The Peltors don't amplify enough for me with a foam ear plug in.

Reactions: bassmaster07

I’ve tried OTTO’s under Peltor emuffs. I wasn’t a fan as it made sounds very digital sounding. Not natural all all. Natural sound is one of the things I like most about my OTTO’s.
May have better with a different combo

I picked up the Ottos last year and they're pretty fantastic. Just have to make sure they're seated properly (if using the foamies).

I've worn them 8-10 hours at a time before and they're still over 50% charge. As an added bonus, the charging case seems to last forever. Mine was last plugged many months and many matches ago and its still at 60% charge.

Some folks absolutely love the 3M "skull screw" tips. For those who recently adopted the ottos, the skull screws are cheap enough to be worth giving a try.