• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

noise of Aguila 38gr HP vs. 40gr solid

hatidua

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2008
Colorado
Has anyone compared the perceived noise of the Aguila 38 grain hollow-points vs. the Aguila 40 grain solids when run through a suppressor? I was shooting the 38gr HP's this weekend and was very happy with the level of sound (through an SWR Spectre) and when I ran out of those I switched to Federal 711B (40 grain, subsonic as well). The increase in sound was enough to make me look out front to see if the suppressor was still attached!

I'm on the verge of buying some more Aguila online but cannot find a place that sells it by single boxes, just cases. I'm perfectly happy to buy a whole 5,000 round case but would like to know if anyone has experience with both the 38gr and the 40gr and could comment on sound. I'd prefer the 40gr if all else was equal.

Re: noise of Aguila 38gr HP vs. 40gr solid

Did you chrono the Federals? I've seen them be right on the verge of subsonic, so some are loud, some are not.

The Aguila is goooood stuff, and the 60gr SSS rounds are awesome, assuming you have the 1:9 barrel to stabilize them.

no, did not chrono the 711B but it seemed very inconsistent: some were just a bit louder than the Aguila, some were considerably louder, and some sounded like the suppressor had been removed and high velocity .22 was being used - really loud!

I was shooting off my brother-in-laws front porch into a target against a hillside 60 yards away and the echo back from some of the 711B's had me worried the neighbors down the road would be bothered by the sound.

I did some googling just now and found a decent article on silencerresearch.com that compared various subsonic .22 ammo.

Long story short: I just bought a case of the .38 grain hollowpoints online. Not as accurate as the 711B but a whole lot quieter.

Yeah, sounds like the Fed. ammo was doing exactly what I get too. Some of them aren't going as fast as the others and they stay subsonic, others are just at sonic speed so it slows enough that you don't get too much crack, but there's others that are full on supersonic.

I chrono'd some Fed bulk pack and it ran 1090-1450 fps from a bolt action. With the same day, same chrono and Aquila ammo it was running 1025-1050 though multiple mags.

all i been shooting is the aguils 38 hp's for years and the aguills 40 solids sound no different threw the Can either. both are real quiet and the impact makes more noise than the ammo fired. I got both here @ the house of 38-40 aguila .

I like the eley subsonics. I stumbled on to them trying to find something that my CZ ar upper liked to shoot. It was the only rimfire that seemed to function well. They are deadly accurate and im sure they would work well suppressed. I have bought these at Bass pro and at local gun shops. Kinda expensive. About nine cents a round. -Brandon