• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nomad LT vs. TBAC Magnus

40x

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2009
Pennsylvanian
Has anyone ever done a runout video on how straight a dead air nomad suppressor is compared to a Thunder beast arms Magnus suppressor.

I understand why you are paying more for a thunder beast arms suppressor but how much dose a suppressor that isn’t perfectly concentric have affected on the precision of a rifle at long range vs. one that isn’t as concentric.

So what you’re saying is the build quality and poor welds in a dead air nomad LT are so bad that they cant compare to the accuracy and repeatability that a Thunder beast arms magnus can deliver?

Dead air nomad LT is coming in at a lower price point that is the only reason I am considering them, I wanted to hear from someone who owns both brands and has compared the precision capabilities of both suppressors at range, other then one has a lower decibel reading then the other.

Dead air nomad LT is coming in at a lower price point that is the only reason I am considering them, I wanted to hear from someone who owns both brands and has compared the precision capabilities of both suppressors at range, other then one has a lower decibel reading then the other.
If money is an issue get an OCL Hydrogen L. Supposedly as quiet or quieter than both.

Reactions: kthomas
I don't own a Magnus but do have a Nomad LT. None of my rifles showed any issues with precision when shooting with it. Groups shrank a bit but that is likely because of the lack of muzzle blast. Overall I've been pleased with performance. Typically after the first stage in a match I have folks asking what can I have since it's so quiet.

Now that’s the kind of response we should have when comparing products. Thank you AirgunnerPCP.

You prefer the quality issues and current lack of customer service/long repair times unmentioned on what’s likely a lifelong purchase? Makes sense. If your can potentially coming apart, waiting a long time to get it repaired if it’s even repairable is worth saving a few bucks then have at it.

People are trying to help by mentioning these things.

No reason to buy a Dead Air over a TBAC.
Not right now for sure... I'd wait until they get their issues fixed before risking my money on another DA can right now.

I like my Magnus, but it is slightly heavier than my Nomad-LT. And it's 1/2" longer, and 1/10" larger in diameter. Magnus is a chonk, but it's a damn fine can. I shaved weight on mine by going with an Otter Creek ZR0-DTA mount (only 1.1 oz, & only adds 1/16" to length). It's a really strong combo...I can fully recommend it.

I have both cans, and they are both precision cans. I have no problems shooting 1/4-1/3 MOA groups on the rifles I use them on...Repeatably. If you want another option to toss into the mix, the Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-L 7.62 is right there with the DA and TBAC in both performance and precision.

IMG_7832.jpegIMG_7833.jpegIMG_7829.jpeg

Reactions: 40x
You prefer the quality issues and current lack of customer service/long repair times unmentioned on what’s likely a lifelong purchase? Makes sense. If your can potentially coming apart, waiting a long time to get it repaired if it’s even repairable is worth saving a few bucks then have at it.

People are trying to help by mentioning these things.
The issues DA are having right now are concerning. It would definitely make me think twice if I was looking for a can right now. However by the time you get the can the situation may have changed...or not.

Honestly with some of the recent issues with companies/regs in this industry, the saying "you spend your money and you take your chances".

The issues DA are having right now are concerning. It would definitely make me think twice if I was looking for a can right now. However by the time you get the can the situation may have changed...or not.

Honestly with some of the recent issues with companies/regs in this industry, the saying "you spend your money and you take your chances".

I have 3 dead air cans, and wouldn’t buy another under the current circumstances.

Like mentioned previously if money is a concern OCL but if not tbac won’t disappoint.

Reactions: FuhQ
In all transparency I have a couple of Dead air Nomad can’s in pending approval waiting. I have second thoughts about Dead air as company, I tried calling Dead air a few times and no one works there or picks up the phone. I am at the point where I am willing to spend the money on a product and company that’s has real customers support. Thank you gentlemen for taking the time to respond to this post.

I was thinking it was quieter then the ultra 9 is there a test showing it’s quieter then the Magnus to?
The Hydrogen-L 7.62 was quieter than the Ultra 9 G2, but was not quieter than the Magnus (to my knowledge). But owning all 3 cans mentioned here, and having put a lot of rounds downrange with them all, they are all pretty much a wash. You will be happy with either of the 3.

The Hydrogen-L 7.62 was quieter than the Ultra 9 G2, but was not quieter than the Magnus (to my knowledge). But owning all 3 cans mentioned here, and having put a lot of rounds downrange with them all, they are all pretty much a wash. You will be happy with either of the 3.
I’m leaning Magnus just because the hydrogen barrel restriction for the magnum calibers is pretty conservative. Makes me think it’s not as suitable for 300 prc/300 Norma

I should have added, I have a bunch of DA cans, including the Nomad. I also have a handful of TBAC cans.

TBAC wins every time.
Just my personal opinion from messing with all 3 of them... The TBAC might be slightly quieter, but the Nomad-LT has one of the best tones out of all of my cans. The TBAC is more sharp and high-pitched, but the Nomad-LT has a smoother sound. Could be all the carbon on the walls from the thousands of rounds through it, compared to the Magnus only have a few hundred so far. But just something I noticed, and found notable.

I’m leaning Magnus just because the hydrogen barrel restriction for the magnum calibers is pretty conservative. Makes me think it’s not as suitable for 300 prc/300 Norma
It is rated for .300 RUM/Norma/PRC.

Straight off their website... I wouldn't consider a 20" .300WM, and 22" .300 PRC rating very conservative... They are VERY tough and durable cans.

OCL Hydrogen restrictions from their website...

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 8.47.52 PM.png

For all the Nomad LT owners or TBAC suppressor’s have you ever done a string of fire of say 20 rounds or more to see how heat affects point of impact or group size if any.

Hansohn Bros just posted a sale on TBAC that includes the Magnus SR. Still a good bit more expensive than the LT but it's a good chance to save some cash if you were leaning Magnus.

Reactions: FuhQ
Thank you AirgunnerPCP I am definitely going to get a Magnus just of matter of time. I have a Nomad L right now and a Nomad LT in jail waiting for it. Just out of curiosity do you know what date was your Nomad LT was manufactured. And about how many rounds do you through yours.

Thank you AirgunnerPCP I am definitely going to get a Magnus just of matter of time. I have a Nomad L right now and a Nomad LT in jail waiting for it. Just out of curiosity do you know what date was your Nomad LT was manufactured. And about how many rounds do you through yours.
I bought mine the day they first released them to the public... It was in December of 2020. So that's when mine was built. It's one of the OG LT's. It's had thousands of rounds through it from everything from .300 BLK subs to .223, 6 ARC, 6.5 Grendel, .308 .260 Rem, all the way up to 7mmRM, 7mm STW, and .300 Ackley Magnum (basically a .300 Wby on steroids)...And everything in between.

I'm not 100% sure on the date of manufacture but I purchased it Sept of 2021 and have put at least 3500rds on it since.

FouQ I would but I just bough a few cans not too long ago I got to pace myself lol. But that’s a great sale.

FouQ I would but I just bough a few cans not too long ago I got to pace myself lol. But that’s a great sale.
You've got 9 months to explain it away and justify it... Better to go ahead and get that paperwork rolling today. 😏

Sandman-L was my first suppressor, have 1000's of rounds through it over the years with no issues. I had not heard of any DA issues before now. Just ordered a TBAC Ultra, probably be next summer before I see it.

Thun
Honestly, I think it's the best secondary retention type mount available currently. The engineers at TBAC did a great job with the design.
my only concern is I hate when the brake shoulder outside diameter is smaller then the shoulder on the barrel. I know it’s cosmetic and I’m weird lol.

If money is an issue the Resilient Jolene, OCL Hydrogen L or Diligent Enticer L ti are all great options.

The Magnus is excellent but if you would prefer to save some money those options above are also excellent.

Oh and I wouldn't buy dead air atm.

Thun

my only concern is I hate when the brake shoulder outside diameter is smaller then the shoulder on the barrel. I know it’s cosmetic and I’m weird lol.

Aesthetically it's annoying, but you're also not protecting the shoulder of the barrel.

With regard to Magnus cartridge ratings, it is rated down to SBR barrel lengths for many magnum cartridges. 12" 300 WSM or 14.5" 300PRC/RUM, we got you covered. It's also full auto rated if you get the SR mount (SR just for retention at that point)

I have 7 TBAC cans and a Dead Air Nomad Ti. I don’t know why I bought the Dead Air other than to try it, and there is a .2 shift in elevation with that can from cold until it heats up. The TBAC cans have zero shift from hot to cold and are 100% repeatable when you remove them and put them back on.

Honestly I would never buy another brand of suppressor than TBAC and I don’t know how other companies even stay in business with poor customer service and hard to get parts (like muzzle devices from Surefire).

Am I behind the times in considering an Omega 300 for purchase?
Yes... SilencerCo is pretty much a B-list can company now. It's their own fault for doing virtually ZERO innovation for the last 10 years, and just living off a brand name legacy. They're now down the list with Griffin, YHM, and Gemtech...

There's several new companies now that are hanging in there with the long-time big dogs like TBAC and Dead Air. I wouldn't even consider one of the above listed cans. Right now, the only cans I'll buy are TBAC and Otter Creek Labs. I'm a huge Dead Air fan, but they need to get their QC issues and warranty issues under control before I'll buy another DA product. I hear good things about Liberty Precision Machine, ECCO Mfg., Diligent Defense, and Resilient Suppressors, as well, although no personal experience.

Last edited:
Well ok then...no it wasn't sarcasm and I'm sure glad I asked. The only 2 I had really considered were the Omega and TBAC Ultra 7 but I guess I need to add a few others to the list for consideration. It's going on a heavy 6.5 that I shoot steel with but I'm planning a 7mm PRC build some time in the spring so needless to say it'll be a 30 cal can for versatility. I'll be buying it next week hopefully.

Next question for those in the know, is the Area419 system with the universal adapters worthwhile for a direct thread set-up across different bolt rifles? Rifle will be fired suppressed almost exclusively and I like the idea of the suppressor seating on the taper to keep carbon off of the threads. I asked because I'm currently running a hellfire brake.

If you haven't already guessed, this is my first one.

Last edited:
Reactions: YotaEer
Well ok then...no it wasn't sarcasm and I'm sure glad I asked. The only 2 I had really considered were the Omega and TBAC Ultra 7 but I guess I need to add a few others to the list for consideration. It's going on a heavy 6.5 that I shoot steel with but I'm planning a 7mm PRC build some time in the spring so needless to say it'll be a 30 cal can for versatility. I'll be buying it next week hopefully.

Next question for those in the know, is the Area419 system with the universal adapters worthwhile for a direct thread set-up across different bolt rifles? Rifle will be fired suppressed almost exclusively and I like the idea of the suppressor seating on the taper to keep carbon off of the threads. I asked because I'm currently running a hellfire brake.

If you haven't already guessed, this is my first one.
Otter Creek Labs Hydrogen-S or Hydrogen-L .30 caliber would be exceptional for your needs. If you want a 7" can, the Hydrogen-S is quieter than the TBAC Ultra-7 Gen2, and is lighter and cheaper. Rated for up to .300 RUM/Norma/PRC magnums. If you want maximum quietness, the Hydrogen-L would be the better option. They are precision rifle cans, and built very well. I've put thousands of rounds through mine. They may be a new company on the block, but they are making huge waves, and have a lifetime warranty.

I would run it with the Otter Creek Labs ZR0-DTA direct-thread mount, but it does have HUB threads, so you can use the Area 419 mounting system if you like. You can use any HUB (1.375x24) mounting system with it.

The 2 cans are identical, except one is 7" long with 9 baffles, and the other is 9" long with 13 baffles.

Last edited:
Reactions: krumfola
Diligent Defense as well. Fantastic can, extremely fair price, exceptionally light in the titanium version. It's most definitely a precision can. Otter Creek too. No way I'd touch Dead Air with a 10ft. pole. I have one they're "fixing" and I don't think I'll ever see it again. Zero communication, no idea where my can is or what'll be done to fix it. Seems like it needs a complete redesign.