• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Nomad questions...

Bigrederic

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2018
Petersburg Alaska
So, I have been wanting to try a Nomad for a while now... but I am having a hard time picking which one to order now. Anyone have experience with the Ti and L versions yet?? It will spend most it time in rotation on my bolt guns, with a little bit of time on my Rattler. I may throw it on my 300 Norma while I wait for my .338 ultra to ship.

I have a standard Nomad-30 in jail right now. It will spend time between my 5.56 AR, 300BLK SBR, and 6.5cm AR10. If I was buying today, I would probably buy the Ti. At the moments I did not think it was worth the $235 extra, but as time passes I probably should have just gone for it.

I just rewatched the Silencer Shop videos. One video they compare the the Nomad and Nomad Ti, they meter very close to each other.
Just pulling numbers from the videos looking at the Rem 700 .308 testing.
At the ear readings, these are two separate occasions so you need to take all the variables you can think of such as setup and weather.
No Can Ti/30 156.96
Nomad Ti 132.68
Nomad-30 131.41
No Can L 166.88
Nomad L 126.04
6 dB difference.

Now, seeing the great difference in bare muzzle I wanted to see their readings on the cans I own now, a Sandman S and Ti (I have a Nomad Ti in jail). So I watched their videos on those two.
No Can Ti 166.42
Sandman Ti 131.88
No Can S 166.8
Sandman S 136.8
5 dB difference.

Something is up with their Nomad-30/Ti bare muzzle numbers, they are 10 db lower than the other three occasions. Although I don't think it matters as comparing the at the ear numbers with the cans they are all very close. Does the Nomad L bring the dB below the magical 130dB safe threshold which I find bs because it still damages if you listen to it long enough, yep. But you should still be wearing something in/over your ears so with plugs/muffs at the range, does that 6 dB really matter? I don't think so, I can't tell enough to care when I have both my cans out with me with ear pro on. I bought my Nomad Ti to go on a hunting rifle, as it is way shorter and lighter than the Sandman Ti, and they meter the same.
So you need to decide, you want to lug around the L, or the Ti? I know what I want to lug around, and that is the Ti, which is why I bought it.

Reactions: Aescobar17
No experience with the Nomad-L but I have a regular nomad. I love it on my ar15s (5.56, 300blk, 6.5G). In general I really like dead airs products (own 4 of their cans).

I tried the nomad on my 300 prc and it was just ok. It didn’t do much for the recoil and while the report was reduced not sure it would be hearing safe. Definitely did better than the sico hybrid though if you have any experience with that can. Absolutely no comparison to the 338 ultra on the 300prc. That truly is a special can on magnum bolt guns.

Im sure the L would be better than the regular nomad on the Norma but I seriously doubt it will be as good as the 338 ultra. Don’t know what else you have but with the ultra on the way to cover your “max dB reduction on bolt guns” basis I’d go with the shorter dead air can for some more versatility in your stable. Reg Nomad or Ti if you’re worried about weight.

On the smaller can topic, I have a sandman K and while it clearly doesn’t suppress as well as the nomad it just disappears on the end of a ar pistol or sbr and is awesome to use.

Hope this helps, and as always take with a grain of salt this is just on mans opinion and ymmv.

Reactions: Bigrederic
Excellent point Ioveha. I think the one really high unsuppressed at-ear number might be a typo, as that's the exact value expected off the meter left of muzzle.

@Bigrederic , I can give you my input as the engineer/designer for these two products. The Nomad-Ti is astoundingly light and will give you (I feel) the best performance for the weight--I mean, the normal Nomad-30 does that too. If you're going to be lugging your gear around then get the -Ti. If you want ultimate suppression then the Nomad-L is the way to go. It's one of the few cans out there that will cause seasoned suppressor users to turn their heads when they hear it. On your Rattler, it makes the best 300BLK at-muzzle and at-ear setup on the market today.

In the end, you'll want to really figure out how important portability is and how much you want to wow others. The standard Nomad-30 or Nomad-Ti will still sound incredible to you as the shooter on those bolt action setups.

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering

Not only is the Ti light enough for a hunting rifle humping around the woods, but the 5-6 dB won’t matter if you’re only shooting it a few times a year.

I got the Nomad-L plus EBrake for a bench and prone rifle to get the extra 5-6 dB from the L plus the 3-5 dB from the EBrake. I’m hoping that extra 8-11 dB reduction plus my ear pro saves my ears a little longer.

Next can will definitely be the Ti. That is one sexy beast.

Reactions: HansohnBrothers
Dead Air makes a great product and having shot the Nomad and Nomad L (Nomad-Ti should be here soon) the Nomad and L are negligible on smaller cans and for the 300 NM the L will be worth the bucks for more sound suppression. I'm really excited to see how the Ti sounds because its a real nice lightweight can. If you're using QD the Keymo is the way to go as well....

@Mageever Any plans for Ti end caps, e-brakes and so on to match the Ti? And when for the love of #$%#$ is the Nomad-L-Ti coming?! :LOL:

Also, Jay from Pew Science has raised some theoretical accuracy concerns from the asymmetric nature of the Nomad's baffles. Do you do any accuracy testing in this regard?

I asked on Facebook about matching E-Brake. Said they will bring it up in a meeting. Glad I'm not alone in wanting it to match.

Reactions: heavy65
Same Ti question goes for their upcoming Xenomorph taper mount, which is understandably delayed.

@Mageever Any plans for Ti end caps, e-brakes and so on to match the Ti? And when for the love of #$%#$ is the Nomad-L-Ti coming?! :LOL:

Also, Jay from Pew Science has raised some theoretical accuracy concerns from the asymmetric nature of the Nomad's baffles. Do you do any accuracy testing in this regard?

I have the Nomad 30 and have seen no negative impacts to accuracy over several different rifles.... At least in my case, (and I'm guessing everyone else's) those concerns are thoroughly theoretical. What exactly were his concerns anyway? All rifle cans that I know of are radially asymmetric to some extent in that they are clipped.

Last edited: