• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Non marring Scope Rings???

Ajax2112

Private
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2011
I need to order a set of mounting rings in order to mount a new scope I just purchased. Using the sticky guide I was able to determine what height I need but not I'm looking for info on which mounts do not mar the scope tube.

What are the best scope (rings)mounts that won't mar the scope?
Is lapping required with all mounts?

I hope this isn't to much of a newb question. If it is I apologize in advance.

Thanks

Re: Non marring Scope Rings???

Assuming you've started out with a quality base, bedded it, and if you're of the anal pursuation like I am, confirmed it's true with a straight edge of some sort, any of the name brand rings shouldn't mark up your scope - i.e. Aadmount, Seekins, American Rifle, Night Force, Badger, etc.

If you've bedded your base properly it will be mounted true without being bent side to side or end to end. You want this to be flat and true - assuming you are, you should not have to lap your rings.

Occassionally even with quality rings, you can get slight ring marks, due to variances in the anodizing thickness or scope coating from the vast array of scope manufacturers. Most well known ring brands are made to very tight tolerances such as 1" or 30 mm, but the ring manufacturers have no control over the subtle variances that may show up in tubes from scope brand A to brand B, C, and D.

What type of gun, caliber, and size of scope are you putting together? On a large magnum caliber with a large heavy scope you may want to invest in some good name brand rings.

I'm partial to Jon Aadland's rings, but others are highly recommended also. http://www.aadmount.com/TLRings/TLRings.html

I have 2 sets of these. Yes, by my own admission they are overkill on my guns, but they don't mar my scopes and Jon A. backs them up with a lifetime warranty.

You can also find these along with other brands at SWFA's web site.

You've determined the height you need, now compare that meausurment with various brands to get you as close to your needed height as you can. On a bolt gun, you'll appreciate using rings that leave as little space as possible between the objective (large bell end of the scope) and your barrel. Allow a little more room if you wish to add flip up scope caps, like Butler Creeks.

Seekins another big +, do not lap, bed your base if you wish, install your scope correctly that means use a torque wrench,

Burris signature zee rings. Been on my rifle for 2 years now with no problems. The plastic insert makes up for any misalignment's you may have.

Seekins are the best rings I have come across. I have changed out several scopes on my rifle using Seekins rings and never had the slightest mark on any of them, more importantly, the Seekins rings securely held my scopes in place.

Seekins also, Haven't had any ring marks and have mounted and changed scopes on a few rifles over the last couple of years.
Well worth the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bjordan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Burris signature zee rings. Been on my rifle for 2 years now with no problems. The plastic insert makes up for any misalignment's you may have. </div></div>Wrong answer.

I swear another thread with this same topic was started last week.

1) Who gives a shit if your scope shows ring marks? Is this rifle going to go in a museum or actually be used as intended?
2) Buy high quality rings and don't worry about it. My two go-tos would be Seekins and American Rifle Company, though there are several others that are good.
3) Avoid plastic anything on your rings, as in Burris Zee rings.

Burris Zee rings do not necessarily have the plastic inserts. "Zee" means that they fit on Picatinny or Weaver bases.

"Signature" rings have the plastic inserts. They come in flavors to fit either Pic/Weaver ("Signature Zee") or standard bases.

Thanks for all the info guys. At this point I am trying to decide between the Aadland ring and the American Rifle Company rings. I think the final deciding factors will be weight and the ability to return to zero if the scope is removed and remounted. I know Aadaland has the return to zero feature, Does anyone know if the American Rifle Comp. ones offer the same feature?

<span style="font-weight: bold">CNC</span> I'm not worried about keeping the scope as a museum piece. What I am worried about is having the scope ruined by rings that either warp or bend the tube or other wise damage the scope. I know you get what you pay for and its better to pay once and cry once then to cheap out and have problems in the long run.

Ah, see now. Your post title was non marring so I thought you meant non-marring, not non-bending.

<span style="font-weight: bold">CNC</span> I'm not worried about keeping the scope as a museum piece. What I am worried about is having the scope ruined by rings that either warp or bend the tube or other wise damage the scope. I know you get what you pay for and its better to pay once and cry once then to cheap out and have problems in the long run.

[/quote]

Ajax,

The rings don't cause the problems you describe, the base being out of level/twisted/etc. cause these problems.