• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Non-Reciprocating Side-Charging Uppers

just browsing

overkill is underrated
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 18, 2017
    NE PA
    Looking for a non-reciprocating, left-side handle/right eject side-charging upper receiver for a precision build.

Gibbz is on the short list but willing to look at other options before I go ahead and order one.

Any experience/advice welcome.

I have JP side charging uppers on an LRP-07 for a 6.5 Creedmoor rifle and on a small frame for a .223. The video posted here is good to review for technique, although it isn't rocket science. My experience with the LRP-07 side charger is that if you are in prone position and need to cycle the bolt with the charging handle, you need to anchor the rifle with your firing hand, and be pretty intent on it. The rifles are not particularly heavy, and the JP Silent Capture Spring that comes with the rifle is pretty stiff, so the action of charging the rifle will tend to torque it out of position unless you are actively managing it. My small frame JP mostly gets used in non prone positions, which means I typically have more leverage on the frame when using the side charger. The act of charging doesn't knock it around in the same way the heavy frame rifle gets pulled to the side.

Hope that is on point of what you are interested in.

Reactions: just browsing
    Good info fellas.

It is going to be a small frame rifle and will generally not be fired from prone positions. It will be more of a 3-gun Hyrbid type of rifle as opposed to dedicated precision or CQB. Probably geared for leisure more than anything but having the ability to shoot it in the occasional match is a must.

I had forgot about the JP and will look at it a bit closer. Guess I need to decide if it’s worth the $900 for an upper assembly or if I can get away with a cheaper (albeit lower quality) side charger.

Any other experience/recommendations with side-charging uppers?

Devil Dog makes the "Hard Charger" to attach to your current upper. There is also American Spirit Arms. They use a cut out in your carrier just like JP (instead of a tab on your cam pin) to charge it.

Bottom line is that you can’t go wrong with JP. I have a couple of their rifles, and others built with a lot of their parts. That being said, I’ve been eyeballing that Gibbs for a while, and might pull the trigger on an upper for a dedicated long range build.

I'm not into side chargers, but if I was, I'd probably get a JP setup.

I built all my small frame AR's except one, a limited edition Noveske, and I may get KAC uppers for the few KAC lowers I have left. But for every other AR I built, I used the JP small parts kits and the JP FMOS carrier on all but a few. The small parts are quality and the carrier, well, it's slick as goose shit and eliminated any reliability issues.

They just make very well made stuff, mostly cater to the competition crowds, 3 gun, match, etc. But some of their parts are simply the best made regardless of the use and I consider those carriers to be peerless.

Is there a reason you want the side charger? If you just want it, get it, but I use those PRI gasbusters due to suppressors, but they have large, long levers that make it easy to charge with one finger even if the scope is in the way. Very well made and those are on sale through PRI until end of the year/first of next year for a pretty good price. Don't know if that's an option but I figured I'd mention it.

Reactions: shoobe01
    I own a Gibbz I use on a 9mm AR- it is a good piece of gear and works well. Good quality and craftsmanship. It is a gen 2 (no latch) standard size handle. I am building a new AR10 and am contemplating their large frame latching model. JP is great, of course, but a bit much in comparison I believe.

This may be an option in NYS single shot with an A2 no adjustable stock, barrel with no gas port or threaded muzzle and a fixed mag release..Thoughts ?? I know ny sucks moose cock

I'm not into side chargers, but if I was, I'd probably get a JP setup.

I built all my small frame AR's except one, a limited edition Noveske, and I may get KAC uppers for the few KAC lowers I have left. But for every other AR I built, I used the JP small parts kits and the JP FMOS carrier on all but a few. The small parts are quality and the carrier, well, it's slick as goose shit and eliminated any reliability issues.

They just make very well made stuff, mostly cater to the competition crowds, 3 gun, match, etc. But some of their parts are simply the best made regardless of the use and I consider those carriers to be peerless.

Is there a reason you want the side charger? If you just want it, get it, but I use those PRI gasbusters due to suppressors, but they have large, long levers that make it easy to charge with one finger even if the scope is in the way. Very well made and those are on sale through PRI until end of the year/first of next year for a pretty good price. Don't know if that's an option but I figured I'd mention it.

JP small build parts are a necessity for any rifle you’re wanting to depend on. No arguments there. I’ve just learned that other things such as receivers make very little difference if quality parts are used otherwise.

As far as the side-charger goes, yeah, I guess I just want one. I don’t buy the whole “they’re a lot faster and more efficient” blah blah crap but they do seem more ergonomical.

I have big hands and getting to a rear charging handle, even a Raptor or something with extended levers, can be problematic on scoped rifles for me. So between that and the perceived comfort of having the charging handle available to my support hand I guess would be why I’m looking for one.

I have a couple Gibbz uppers. The biggest reason I went to a side charger was to allow me to use any stock I wanted with an adjustable cheek rest. I use XLR's with the full sized cheek rests and they don't get in the way of a charging handle.
    Just something else to consider.

Reactions: Bradu
    I have a couple Gibbz uppers. The biggest reason I went to a side charger was to allow me to use any stock I wanted with an adjustable cheek rest. I use XLR's with the full sized cheek rests and they don't get in the way of a charging handle.
    Just something else to consider.

JP is awesome stuff, but the Gibbz is a really nice upper, i was pleasantly surprised by it. I say give the Gibbz a shot, it’s relatively inexpensive to try out.

I’ve been planning on ordering one from lone wolf armory they look really nice, I’ll be using it on a 9mm build, you might check them out