• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

non-"tactical" backpack?

hatidua

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2008
Colorado
I'm trying to find a pack that is at least 19" at it's longest dimension for 10.5" SBR broken down, a pistol, suppressor for both, and a handful of mags for each. Problem is, everything within the gun industry is littered with enough clutter on the exterior that I might as well carry a neon sign that proclaims "GUNS INSIDE THIS PACK".

Can anyone recommend a very durable (the contents will be heavy) pack that isn't overly "tacticool" looking (no molle straps, no camo, Etc.)? Multiple dividers on the inside would be great but I don't want the packs exterior to be as mall-ninja as most of the ones I see marketed to gun enthusiasts.

I'd like to keep it as small as possible, not needing to exceed 19" on the long end but anything under 24" would be fine. I've combed many of the usual outdoor brands (Arc'Teryx, Gregory, Etc.) but am finding many of their offerings to be made of fairly fragile material in an effort to reduce weight.

Re: non-"tactical" backpack?

I've had a North Face Recon pack. It's right at about 19" long. It has a main compartment that has a laptop sleeve, could be used for separation of upper and lower, and the secondary compartment for pistol etc.
Mine has held up well after two yrs of books for school, had it for 5 total, now I couldnt say how it would handle the firearms. But it doesn't have molle and is a daypack size bag. might be worth checking out.

Edit: you could also get someone to stitch up an insert with some doubled up cordura around a section of ISO mat to protect the ends of the contents and soften the thud of the pack in concrete or other hard surface. It might also help preserve the pack bottom with the weight you will be carrying. It might be hard to keep the components from shifting, but the pack has straps for compression.

Good luck on the search, and I would like to see what u comeup with.

AS

Not sure about the measurements, but I bought an Eagle AIII pack for everyday use from Triad a number of years ago. It is the non-Molle version. I removed some of the extra straps that i dont need and got it in khaki. looks pretty non-descript to me.

Camelbak Motherlode should fit the need. Has built in hydration as well. Comes in colors that don't all say guns inside.

Those Kiwi bags look interesting, I'll have to email them for measurements as they don't seem to list that info on their site.

Thank you all for the recommendations!

I have a miklat right in front of me right now. Will try find something for measurements if you like.

Here's a photo of my mate with one, it's the old style with 2 different colors, now they only come in plain black

P3210072.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hatidua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm trying to find a pack that is at least 19" at it's longest dimension for 10.5" SBR broken down, a pistol, suppressor for both, and a handful of mags for each. Problem is, everything within the gun industry is littered with enough clutter on the exterior that I might as well carry a neon sign that proclaims "GUNS INSIDE THIS PACK".

Can anyone recommend a very durable (the contents will be heavy) pack that isn't overly "tacticool" looking (no molle straps, no camo, Etc.)? Multiple dividers on the inside would be great but I don't want the packs exterior to be as mall-ninja as most of the ones I see marketed to gun enthusiasts.

I'd like to keep it as small as possible, not needing to exceed 19" on the long end but anything under 24" would be fine. I've combed many of the usual outdoor brands (Arc'Teryx, Gregory, Etc.) but am finding many of their offerings to be made of fairly fragile material in an effort to reduce weight. </div></div>
Sounds like a SHTF bag to me!

Eagle Industries was making a backpack made to hold a broken-down AR; I'm pretty sure they were offering it in "non-tactical" colors like grey and/or blue. I don't think it had any MOLLE on the outside either.

Got a friend that uses a skateboard pack. Very normal looking pack. Carries an AK or AR inside easily. These packs are usually pretty heavy duty as well due to what they carry and how they get thrown around.

I've had good success with Camelbak packs. They have a few that should fit what you are looking for. They are high quality, and do not look "tacticool".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hatidua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm trying to find a pack that is at least 19" at it's longest dimension for 10.5" SBR broken down, a pistol, suppressor for both, and a handful of mags for each. Problem is, everything within the gun industry is littered with enough clutter on the exterior that I might as well carry a neon sign that proclaims "GUNS INSIDE THIS PACK".

I'd like to keep it as small as possible, not needing to exceed 19" on the long end but anything under 24" would be fine. I've combed many of the usual outdoor brands (Arc'Teryx, Gregory, Etc.) but am finding many of their offerings to be made of fairly fragile material in an effort to reduce weight. </div></div>

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/packs

I think you mis understand fragile material. Do not think everything has to be made from heavy fabric like 1000 cordura to be bomb proof. Some of the lightweight fabrics out there have a very high wear through, puncture proof, cut resistance properties. Many center around Aramid, Spectra, Dyneema.

I had a backpack made from Technora that you would be hard pressed to tear, rip or cut that weighed in at 2 and half pounds for a 4500ci size. Kelty White Cloud is legendary for its abuse properties.

Good luck

search for a camera backpack.

Surely there's an REI store in Colorado you could go to, or something similar. I was in an REI a couple weeks ago and there must have been a hundred different packs there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 45.308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I think you mis understand fragile material. Do not think everything has to be made from heavy fabric like 1000 cordura to be bomb proof. Some of the lightweight fabrics out there have a very high wear through, puncture proof, cut resistance properties. Many center around Aramid, Spectra, Dyneema.

I had a backpack made from Technora that you would be hard pressed to tear, rip or cut that weighed in at 2 and half pounds for a 4500ci size. Kelty White Cloud is legendary for its abuse properties.

Good luck
</div></div>

Ive got a few Kelty packs that have held up really well. Ive had the one since 1995 and still use it. Also have a newer Kelty RedCloud 5600.