• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing nonresident elk hunting in WY

slayer_21420

Minuteman
Jan 5, 2009
Stanchfield, MN
i'd like to take my dad out cow elk hunting and was wondering if anyone has insight on good nonresident hunt areas, if the terrain is rough that isn't an issue, I just need to find somewhere with good public access, and hopefully a few elk
smile.gif

thanks,

Steve

Re: nonresident elk hunting in WY

North West, I drew 94 & 97. May be a bit late to get a tag. Check on:

http://gf.state.wy.us/wildlife/hunting/index.asp

Altitude acclimation is a serious issue and can kill you.

If you can afford it, hire an outfitter (again late for that) as dealing with an Elk is a whole different world than a Whitetail.

(50 years in upstate NY, 10 in WY)

Feel free to PM me if I can help!

Good hunting.

I'm sure you can still find a cow tag, but areas will probably be limited. good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If you can afford it, hire an outfitter...</div></div>

I HIGHLY recommend ElkHuntingGuide here in the 'Hide...
grin.gif

Good dude & knows his stuff. He'll be able to get you guys within 18 paces for a great shot...

Shoot him a PM & he can probably get you squared away.

If you want to do Southeast Wyoming (only two hours from Denver) I know a guy who does a good job here. He owns an outfitting company called "Monster Critters". And yes the altitude is something you want to consider. My house is at 7233 feet according to my GPS.

The Cody area offers a lot of Public Access. From 25 miles west of Cody to Yellowstone is all public Access. ( Approx. 25 miles )
There should be left over tags and the cow Elk are typically only a mile or so from the trailheads. Find a meadow and sit. Shouldn't take you but a day or 2 to find one.

Oregon Archery elk season, About 400 bucks for tag and license and disabled person can have accompaniment with out license or tag. Helper can track and dispatch a wounded elk shot by disabled person.
Over the counter tag if bought before season opens.
Hair tag.

I'd go for Weda's suggestion honestly. Bring a map and a GPS. Sit and wait.

thanks for all the suggestions guys, I just bought two tags for area 21, down in the medicine bow national forest, I checked the success rate for the last few years and it was above average compared to most of the state, it also has easy public access, so it should be interesting if nothing else! i'll let everyone know how it turns out,

thanks again,

Steve

I'm pretty close to area 21 actually, let me know if you need any info about South East WY. Buy the BLM map for sure, the area is dotted with private property. Area 21 is a wilderness area, so be sure to check the rules out regarding out-of-state hunts in a wilderness area. WY Requires a guide for non-residents in some areas, or at least they used to. Being a resident, I don't have to deal with it, lol.

Steve, enjoy your time here. I think you'll come out ok
laugh.gif

thanks for all the info guys, i'll definitely get the blm map
wink.gif
my dad turned 50 this year so I figured I better get him out after an elk sooner than later, we've taken some pretty nice antelope and mule deer so its time to uprade
smile.gif

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bcw1284</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy the BLM map for sure, the area is dotted with private property. Area 21 is a wilderness area, so be sure to check the rules out regarding out-of-state hunts in a wilderness area. WY Requires a guide for non-residents in some areas, or at least they used to. Being a resident, I don't have to deal with it, lol. </div></div>

Yup they still do! Be real careful about not getting into ( or getting caught ) on Wilderness without a resident of Wyo or a Guide with you. They won't cut you any slack.
By the BLM map, and make sure you know where you are at all times.

Find some meadows, set up on them well before daylight.

I've been around that area in the RZR quite a few times this summer. I've seen plenty of big game, so you should have some luck.

+1 for making sure where you know you are and not getting the wrath. If you have green and white plates and get caught it's going to be worse if you have other plates....

No problem on the wilderness area, we'll be hunting with a friend who is a resident, we plan on getting out a few days before the season, finding a good place to set up camp, and set up opening morning a couple hours before daylight, overlooking a valley if we can find one. Hopefully when people are heading out hunting they will drive the elk to us. either way i'm just out there to have fun, if I shoot one thats a bonus!

on another note, my order arrived fromn Brux today! i'll have my 280AI done in about a week so I can get it dialed in for the elk hunt
wink.gif

the rifle will be a trued 700 action, HS PSS stock with DBM, 26" Brux SS bull sporter contour barrel, nd a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44mm mil-dot

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">on another note, my order arrived fromn Brux today! i'll have my 280AI done in about a week so I can get it dialed in for the elk hunt</div></div>

I'm leanin' on possibly building one in a year or so myself. After the discussions with Lonny ( Hornady ballistician ) at nationals last year and then watching several of the Hornady guys just shoot consistently small groups at 1K I'm really impressed by this cartridge.

If you know there will be pressure from guys moving in the area. Use that to your advantage. get a map and locate the trail heads then look for the escape routes.

Often times as well if you are back in form the trailheads and in low pressure areas. Those Elk will more often than not, head for water after first light.

like weda said around Cody sunlight area is great. come on out ill put in a meadow and you can pick a cow. i run the custom butcher shop in cody and know most of the good areas that have elk in them. Pays to be friends with all the local outfitters if your interested pm me and ill let you know were to go

i'll be down in south central Wyoming in the medicine bow national forest, south of Rawlins, in hunt area 21, does anyone know anything about that area?

butcher, I was going to try to get a license just east of Cody, but they were sold out, next year i'll be putting in for a bull tag so i'd definitely like to talk more about that particular area and where you'd reccommend going,

thanks,

Steve