• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Noob Caliber Question

Re: Noob Caliber Question

Of course we need an intended purpose
laugh.gif

(7mm-08 is my choice for whatever)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seven mm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6xc</div></div>

yes!!!.....done this cartridge to just short of a mile......on a larue

Single feed the .284 Win. Thats what I'm building now, but on a long action so I don't have to single feed.

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">7mm International Improved. (rimless) The biggest drawback is monkeying around with the cases to get them right.

It's basically the .300 Savage necked down to 7mm. The shoulders are blown out to .459 instead of .449 and forward to 40 deg. instead of 30 deg. The slightly shorter case allows the thing to be loaded with 180 Bergers out to where they don't take up case capacity and can still be fed from a Remington 700 Short action. You don't have shortness problems with Savage short actions, BTW.</span>
wink.gif

Edit:

Nevermind, <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is your criteria:

Short Action.
.473 bolt face.
up to and including 1K for paper and steel

<span style="font-weight: bold">Or fire-formed in any way.</span> After 762's post.

What's your choice?</div></div>

<span style="text-decoration: line-through">I say this case because it will fit in ALL short actions.</span> Given the choice of a short action that will handle long loaded 180's in 7mm I would take the 7mm-08 in a Savage. But, wait...I have that!!
grin.gif

<span style="color: #3333FF">Also, there is the 6mm Rem. Get at least the 1-9" twist so you can shoot the 95-105 VLD's.

Another one I see missed is the 6mm BR. That has proven it will get to 1k.</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22-250 </div></div>

Yeah you could do a 22-250 with a 1-8 twist bbl and throw some 62-80gr pills.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sebben</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22-250 </div></div>

Yeah you could do a 22-250 with a 1-8 twist bbl and throw some 62-80gr pills. </div></div>

Did a 9 twist for a buddy shooting 75 amax's with good speed and great accuracy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7mm International Improved. (rimless) The biggest drawback is monkeying around with the cases to get them right.</div></div>

Do you have a cartridge diagram for this by chance?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Austan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sandwarrior</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7mm International Improved. (rimless) The biggest drawback is monkeying around with the cases to get them right.</div></div>

Do you have a cartridge diagram for this by chance?</div></div>

It's in my 1978 Sierra loading manual. The reload bench may have it or reloadersnest. I'll get back to ya.

How about a straight .284 or a 6.5x284, with AW mags to facilitate longer COAL? I'm pretty sure that will get you the most powder capacity in a .473 bolt face, but not positive.

Did you decide on the 284 Win, Mike? Or are you still searching around for other options
smile.gif

.284 Win on a SA Savage, my Savage ejection port is 3.2"
wink.gif

.22-250 necked up to 6mm. And Ackley Improved(although that's breaking the rules, right?)
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Find a new hobby since your criteria eliminated all the cool stuff.

In a SA, with all the choices that you have eliminated, I'd take the 7mm-08 hands down.

Looks like you have all the short action bases covered. Buy a PTG bolt with a mangum boltface for $150 and extend your range a bit with a 300wsm or 7-300wsm (if your receiver is compatible).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Find a new hobby since your criteria eliminated all the cool stuff.</div></div>

+1 what jason said. But 6XC since your asking.

Hands down the .284 Win in the wind or 2nd choice the 6.5 284. on the calmer days.
But then again,with a .473 boltface single shot action,i would go with the 6.5-06 Ackley improved.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is your criteria:

Short Action.
.473 bolt face.
up to and including 1K for paper and steel

It cannot be:

6.5 CM
6.5x47
6x47
Or fire-formed in any way. After 762's post.

What's your choice? </div></div>

Henh, henh, henh...; youse guys...

Why is it folks never consider a Long Action cartidge in a Short Action?

As long as it's single fed, the only other issue is extracting/ejecting a live round. That's easy, you just trip the bolt release and withdraw the bolt a little further. Plinkkk, out she falls. ...Like that's gonna happen all so often, anyway...?

Now, then; since the range is open to more selections, mine is either a .30-'06 or a .280 Rem. Should put the others somewhere back around 3rd place or worse.

Or am I out of order here, folks?

.220 Swift, anyone?

Greg

...or just a f'rinstance, .270 130gr SST Superformance. Using published ballistics, gets to 1Kyd with 22 MOA elevation on a 200yd zero, stays Supersonic out to 1200yd. Not shabby for a factory round.

And if a short round it must be, try a faster twist .22-250. 3500fps with a 70gr?

.20-08. It's a bitch in the wind and a bit of a barrel burner but should be fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wildcats</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hands down the .284 Win in the wind or 2nd choice the 6.5 284. on the calmer days.
But then again,with a .473 boltface single shot action,i would go with the 6.5-06 Ackley improved. </div></div>

I like the .284 as well. The only difficulty in this case is the short action. If it was a Savage short action, no problem. Since it's a Rem 700 SA, it's a problem. You will need to single feed the bullets that will get you to 1k and beyond. That is unless you want to handicap yourself with 140 Bergers @ 1k. In a longer action where you can seat the bullets out a ways, this round has the same capacity as the .280 Rem.