• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Noob Guide for NVG

RFtinkerer

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2010
Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but I recently got it in my head that I would like a good set of night vision goggles for coyote and hog hunting. I need to start my research. I don't want a crappy set of gen 1 goggles I see at Cabelas. What I would like is:

1) Monocular with head mount for my right eye (dominant), easy to see in the woods at night with possibly a very low illuminator.
2) Be able to use NVG with existing rifle, scope, maybe backing up a little from my normal cheek weld; the ranges will be 200 yards max so I'm not worried about the slight loss of accuracy. My Vortex PST is night vision compatible on low reticle brightnesses.
3) Enough resolution to be able to tell a hog, coyote, from my 5 year old wandering through the woods. For obvious reasons.

Are there good sites/threads that you can point me to for research? Any good units that you guys like for the application?

Re: Noob Guide for NVG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RFtinkerer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry if this has been asked a million times, but I recently got it in my head that I would like a good set of night vision goggles for coyote and hog hunting. I need to start my research. I don't want a crappy set of gen 1 goggles I see at Cabelas. What I would like is:

1) Monocular with head mount for my right eye (dominant), easy to see in the woods at night with possibly a very low illuminator.
2) Be able to use NVG with existing rifle, scope, maybe backing up a little from my normal cheek weld; the ranges will be 200 yards max so I'm not worried about the slight loss of accuracy. My Vortex PST is night vision compatible on low reticle brightnesses.
3) Enough resolution to be able to tell a hog, coyote, from my 5 year old wandering through the woods. For obvious reasons.

Are there good sites/threads that you can point me to for research? Any good units that you guys like for the application? </div></div>

There is a multitude of options for you. Give us a call, we've helped a few around here. :) Our entire staff is made up of ex-Mil and active LE who also are top notch NV trainers. Thank you.

Vic

I am so taking you up on that. Be prepared, noob guy.

D740, RAD-NV2 mount ordered. Now how to hide it from my wife.
shocked.gif

I found it in a box of Crackerjacks!
It was only $40.........(quietly) times 100.
What this? I've ALWAYS had this, since before we were married and had 3 kids to feed.
I do what I want! *slap* Okay, I'll buy you a dress. *slap* Dress + flowers? *SLAP* Dress, flowers, jewelry...maybe that'll do it.

My biggest fear is that when I die, my wife will sell all my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RFtinkerer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">D740, RAD-NV2 mount ordered. Now how to hide it from my wife.
shocked.gif

I found it in a box of Crackerjacks!
It was only $40.........(quietly) times 100.
What this? I've ALWAYS had this, since before we were married and had 3 kids to feed.
I do what I want! *slap* Okay, I'll buy you a dress. *slap* Dress + flowers? *SLAP* Dress, flowers, jewelry...maybe that'll do it. </div></div>

Thanks for the order Brother, glad we could help, but not sure how to help with the "Minister of Finance." I have the same issue at times!
crazy.gif

Vic

Got the D740 today! Came in a really nice case, safe and sound. The first thought I had when I opened it and felt the heft, solid build and everything about it was, "Okay, now I've REALLY gone too far. This is too expensive, obviously meant for heavier use than I intend to put it through. Somebody much cooler than I am. I should just return it and get something cheaper." I went ahead and sighted it in anyway on my rifle with the pin hole...brought it out tonight to just look around and THERE IS NO WAY IN HELL I AM RETURNING IT. WOW! I've never seen anything so great. The dark turned to day, even better with the IR light, stars popped out that I've never seen before.

I don't care I'm not sniping or hog hunting on a regular basis. I'm not military, ex or otherwise. I just have a real bad shooting habit. This is my new favorite toy. I mean, tool. I'm getting up at 3-4 this morning with my predator caller and this and see if I can pull some coyotes in. This is going to be FUN.