• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noob question about action for ELR shooting...

• Thread starter Deleted member 115591
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 115591

Please do not kill me for asking a noob question... just want to get some pointers.

A little background... I recently became very interested in long range shooting. Shot my 300 prc (TL3 action) to a little more than a mile several times... but I am sure most of you will understand, been looking for the next step up.

My buddy is shooting a 33xc (AXMC) and I am thinking it is a good cartridge to get out to maybe 3k yards, so I am looking seriously at this cartridge.

My question is, are there any actions that one recommends for the 33xc? Will these actions (that can handle 33xc) fit in a regular Remington 700 long action chassis? If they do not fit in a rem700 long action chassis, how would one look up the chassis for such an action (is there a standard name for this footprint)?

Follow up question... I am sure once I get a 33xc, I might be looking at the next step up just to go further... Will it be something like a 375ct/408ct/416 barrett? Are there any actions out there that can be used for both 33xc and 375/408/416 (if I want to future proof my purchase)?

I don't mind if it is a single feed (as I think single feed might be better for ELR), and weight is really not a concern.

Any help and guidance will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Northman623
1st off, does not sound you are a "noob" shooting more than a mile. That's a compliment. :)

Think you have answered some of your own questions on what is best for ELR, 375/408/416.

Many more than myself here that can comment on that. That being said, I've done 2,000 with a 338LM and would go bigger any further than that.

Shoot a .338 as far as you can make decent hits and when that’s too far look into a .375 or .416.

Reactions: babyguppy
Please do not kill me for asking a noob question... just want to get some pointers.

A little background... I recently became very interested in long range shooting. Shot my 300 prc (TL3 action) to a little more than a mile several times... but I am sure most of you will understand, been looking for the next step up.

My buddy is shooting a 33xc (AXMC) and I am thinking it is a good cartridge to get out to maybe 3k yards, so I am looking seriously at this cartridge.

My question is, are there any actions that one recommends for the 33xc? Will these actions (that can handle 33xc) fit in a regular Remington 700 long action chassis? If they do not fit in a rem700 long action chassis, how would one look up the chassis for such an action (is there a standard name for this footprint)?

Follow up question... I am sure once I get a 33xc, I might be looking at the next step up just to go further... Will it be something like a 375ct/408ct/416 barrett? Are there any actions out there that can be used for both 33xc and 375/408/416 (if I want to future proof my purchase)?

I don't mind if it is a single feed (as I think single feed might be better for ELR), and weight is really not a concern.

Any help and guidance will be greatly appreciated!
I would avoid the 33xc due to barrel life is very short 37 xc would be a better choice . Yes a 700 will work for the xc but to spend that much money to just start all over again when you deside to step up to a real elr cartridge makes no sence . Spend your money on a build that you just need a barrel and bolt swap and dont need to start all over again. So with that do a pierce engerneering 10x action and order it with 2 bolts lapua and cheytac faces be smart and spend a little extra and save lots of money in the long run do it right to start with. 33xc is a good choice for light class but i prefer the 338 lapua over the xc due to barrel life

Reactions: camotoe
I would avoid the 33xc due to barrel life is very short 37 xc would be a better choice . Yes a 700 will work for the xc but to spend that much money to just start all over again when you deside to step up to a real elr cartridge makes no sence . Spend your money on a build that you just need a barrel and bolt swap and dont need to start all over again. So with that do a pierce engerneering 10x action and order it with 2 bolts lapua and cheytac faces be smart and spend a little extra and save lots of money in the long run do it right to start with. 33xc is a good choice for light class but i prefer the 338 lapua over the xc due to barrel life
Hi Badass, thanks for the information.

You suggestion is exactly what I was going for. Should I get a Lapua action, or get a larger action so I can shoot both (if and when I decide to get into somthing bigger than the XC).

I agree that I should just get an action that will be able to accomodate cheytac for later use.

WIll something like a Pierce 10x action fit inside a regular Rem 700 LA chassis?

No the 10x is larger 1.600 in diamiter where the 700 footprints are 1.350 you will need to get a chassis or stock for the 10x here are just a few that handle the 10x. Competition mechine ( gary elieso) accurate rifle systems( joe updike), Terry Dines chassis to name a few. My prefrence is the competition mechine

Attachments

• 20220327_183708.jpg
    20220327_183708.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
To me it sounds like you need to talk to a couple builders, and select one and start your journey from there. A lot of builders have preferences and can guide you further. I know who's building my next rifle and will leave the action selection up to them. If you go with the right builder you ask that a set of performance points be met, pick a round and leave a lot up to them. When you do this you get some of their best work, because they are invested in the project.

Very good point about leaving the decision to the builder Northman623. Mind sharing who you have building your next rifle? and what type of rifle it is?

Reactions: Northman623
As you are planning on a good choice fun ELR gun here I noticed you said weight is not a concern.

Question - is this 100% for fun or are you going to get the itch to go to a event someday.
If that day happens here are a few things to consider.
light gun classes are usually a bolt face up to the 338s and 24 or 25 lbs max, the sweet setups seem to be the 33XCs and 300 NM.
Heavy guns usually its a 50 lb limit other then the KO2M is 40 lbs. common rockstars lately are the standard 375 Cheytac, 416 Hellfires and the 460 Steyr, the 416 Hellfire is something to look at - preforms very well and reloading components are reasonable.

If you want to research the 416 Hellfire and or other options this shop has a large calling and has a large amount of rifle builds in the ELR events.

Robert Vestal at Vestal’s Custom Rifles his name is well known in the shooting community for being straight forward and honest He builds a ton of rifles.

Also check with Warner Tool Company, Dan and Allen Warner For barrel work and excellent rifle builds and their resizing and seating dies are second to none.

JH

Last edited:
Hi oneshot, thanks for bring up the possible issue of weight in competition. As of right now, I am doing this purely for fun and have no plans of getting into competition. But it is something to keep in mind for the future.

Hi oneshot, thanks for bring up the possible issue of weight in competition. As of right now, I am doing this purely for fun and have no plans of getting into competition. But it is something to keep in mind for the future.
Its not hard to stay with weight limits i would suggest to plain your build to come in one or two lbs just under limit just in case you deside to go to matches if you go to one you will want to go to more for sure.

To get a spec-side look at the various actions that are out there, see https://www.elr-resources.com/Receiver Matrixes - All 11232022.xls Me, I'd look at the latest Accuracy Solutions/McRee F.A.S.T. chassis. Link here but not a complete list of offering - https://accuracysolutions.com/shop/products/chassis/. Best would be to call and speak with Scott McRee, 662-237-0620. He has (alphabetically) FAST solutions for BAT, Pierce, and Stiller. IMHO, for ELR distances, the FAST chassis/extended bipod is THE way to go.

Definitely would encourage you to think about competition. Participating in matches has definitely made me a better shooter.

Reactions: JBarton