• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noob question regarding making 22 creedmoor brass from 6 or 6.5 CM brass

• Thread starter Deleted member 115591
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 115591

Hi all,

I am interested in getting into a 22 creedmoor (thanks to that stupid podcast I listed to a few days ago). I read several pages of the 22 cm pinned thread and from what I can gather is that I can make 22 cm brass from either 6mm or 6.5mm cm brass.

But trying to figure out if I understand the process correctly. I have several 6.5 lapua brass that I want to convert and will be using a Redding bushing full length 6.5 cm die.

Do I just lube up the 6.5cm brass and run it through the 6.5CM redding die using a 250ish bushing? Or do I need to use an extra intermediate bushing before finishing with the 250 bushing? Assuming this is the process, would I need to turn the neck of the brass? Would I need to fireform it at all?

Also, after the brass has been necked down, after I fire the round... could I just resize it with a 6.5cm die with a 250 bushing? Or do I need to resize it with a die specially made for the 22 cm?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but never done this before...

Thanks for any information!

Its best to use intermediate steps, it just helps. Its not required but you might find that moving too much at once can buckle necks or induce weird concentricity etc.
You might need to neck turn depending on how thick the brass gets and how large your chamber neck diameter is, there is no hard answer to any of these questions.
You can resize it with the 6.5 and smaller bushing. I like to get my own independent die just so I dont have to fiddle with it between sessions for various barrels and they are cheap.

I would just wait for head stamped brass. Especially if you can get some of the alpha.

I would just wait for head stamped brass. Especially if you can get some of the alpha.
Thanks Spife. Can't seem to find any of the 22 cm head stamped brass anywhere. Guess there is no rush as I don't even have a barrel yet..

Agree, might be easier to just place a back order for Alpha 22 creed brass and commence to finding your barrel and other parts.