• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

noob question

mr.quick

follow the node , not the lands
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2020
weslaco texas
why do my 147 eld's say .264 ,and when I measure them With my clipper, they measure .262.Is this correct?

why do my 147 eld's say .264 ,and when I measure them With my clipper, they measure .262.Is this correct?

No. I measured 140 gr ELD for 6.5 CM where the box said .264" diameter and the diameter was exactly that when I measured it. Well... the calipers bounced a little between .2635 and .2640 but you know... my digital calipers are technically rated to be accurate to within .001"
.262" is incorrect. Maybe you measured it wrong / need to calibrate your device?

I actually just remeasured it with a more finely tuned device and got .26415

20201021_091928_001.jpg

what brand of calipers do you have ,I got mine at harbor freight , and they are also at .001. but I might need abetter one

The digital calipers are just some RCBS brand I got at Cabelas. The more precise measurement was from a Mitutoyo 293-340-30 digital micrometer.

Take a look

Attachments

• 2021C374-702E-4934-B52F-25CB8F4568F9.jpeg
    2021C374-702E-4934-B52F-25CB8F4568F9.jpeg
    386.3 KB · Views: 50
Not standing up for Harbor Freight's "quality", but unless you got a bad pair (possible), I doubt that's it. Do you know how to zero your calipers ? There is a clamping set screw somewhere around the circumference of the bezel/dial.

You make sure the jaws are clean, you close them all the way, you loosen the set screw and turn the bezel so that the indicator hand is pointing directly at zero. Then, you tighten down the set screw, making sure to not disturb your new zero and you're done.

wow...and it says 0.000 when the calipers are fully closed? if they do, I would suggest double checking with a secondary measuring device first if available. If not you van get a gauge block off amazon for like $30 to check your calipers for accuracy. The only other thing I can think of is that those aren't 6.5 mm bullets as the box suggests but doubt that's the case.

Still in the same boat ,will need to order better calipers ,just to make sure .

Attachments

• A393A406-295F-4DBB-9F27-4639A4034C4F.jpeg
    A393A406-295F-4DBB-9F27-4639A4034C4F.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 32
Close the jaws of your caliper and hold them up to a light source.
Look for runout on the jaws or are they perfectly flat and parrallel to each other.
1603311709283860996196.jpg

You can pickup some precision pin guages from Amazon for a few bucks each that you can use to verify measuring devices and they also work on checking neck tension.

I was never a fan of digital calipers, I have 2 pairs and they are both regular dial. One is a starrtett and the other is a chepo Lyman and they both read the same.

If you don't want to spend a lot get the Lyman off Amazon, it's pretty nice but if you want quality you can feel get a set of Starrett's for a little over a hundred bucks.

I also have a Harbor Freight caliper and an analog. They both read the same as my Mitutoyo.

I'm a fan of Harbor Freight for things that don't require a high level of safety, reliability, or precision. I'm not saying their products lack all those things as a whole. It's just hit or miss. For the $10-ish I paid for the calipers, they work fine for around the shop.

IMG_1926.JPG

Might as well pick up their micrometer while your at it so you can double check measurements in the future. That 20% off coupon helps.

Reactions: XLR308
Might as well pick up their micrometer while your at it so you can double check measurements in the future. That 20% off coupon helps.

Nothing wrong with Vernier calipers either but i have mostly used them in 24" or larger.
Basically it just comes down to quality and repeatabilty.
I use a set of 12" digitals all the time but have small O.D. micrometer and small tube mic to fill in the gaps.

Calipers are not ideal for this type of measurement. I’ve had very good brand calipers that would be dead nuts on a 1” gauge block and off by .001 or .002 when measuring bullet diameter.

Micrometers will give you more consistent results.

No. I measured 140 gr ELD for 6.5 CM where the box said .264" diameter and the diameter was exactly that when I measured it. Well... the calipers bounced a little between .2635 and .2640 but you know... my digital calipers are technically rated to be accurate to within .001"
.262" is incorrect. Maybe you measured it wrong / need to calibrate your device?
Calipers are not ideal for this type of measurement. I’ve had very good brand calipers that would be dead nuts on a 1” gauge block and off by .001 or .002 when measuring bullet diameter.

Micrometers will give you more consistent results.
which one do you recommend ?

which one do you recommend ?

I'd say your calipers are probably jacked and you should have some for doing things like CBTO (cartridge base to ogive) measuring etc.
But I love my Mitutoyo micrometer. The ability to more precisely measure something comes in handy. At the very least I would advise you have both a set of calipers and a micrometer if you don't mind spending a little extra coin.

hey KING i do mind spending that extra money , but I love to reload. So i am going to have to spend some bucks ,on quality equipment.
Also are you selling yours?

hey KING i do mind spending that extra money , but I love to reload. So i am going to have to spend some bucks ,on quality equipment.
Also are you selling yours?

Get what you can. If all you can do at this time is a set of $20 calipers and $40 micrometer from Harbor freight, start there. No shame in that, alot of us did the same. Its nice to have multiple sets anyways.

Believe meI can buy top of the line, but I just don't want to spend that much money.

Believe meI can buy top of the line, but I just don't want to spend that much money.

Thing is you really don't need top of the line. Most quality mic and calipers are more than adequate. Mitatoyo, Starrett, etc.

You can only reload to the level of precision that you can measure accurately.

Same will go for a scale or powder dispenser.