• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Noob Questions on Expander Dies and Mr. Bullet Feeder

brennon272

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2014
Hello,

Slowly trying to piece my reloading setup and process together on my 750. Per what I have seen here, many use the Lyman M Die for belling the case mouth to allow the Mr. bullet feeder to drop a projectile in the case properly. When setting up the expander die, it seems this is not like the 21st century and other dies where you simply install the mandrel for the neck tension you want. With an M die, this is accomplished by turning the mandrel in or out of the body. This in turn will increase or decrease the belling of the case mouth. One can adjust the case mouth to put a substantial bell on the case mouth, but when checking the neck tension on a gauge, there essentially is no neck tension. How do you know what is acceptable for this purpose? I am assuming this lack of neck tension is what a crimping die is used for? If so, how do you measure neck tension once a projectile has been seated and crimped? How do you how much crimp is proper? This process is very confusing to me.

Thanks,
Brennon272

From what I have read you have to bell the rifle case mouth so that the mr. bullet feeder will properly drop a projectile in the case (mainly to keep it from falling out during the operation of the press as it cycles).

From what I have read you have to bell the rifle case mouth so that the mr. bullet feeder will properly drop a projectile in the case (mainly to keep it from falling out during the operation of the press as it cycles).
No, you don't. I have been loading on a Mr Bullet Feeder for years and have never belled any rifle cases. The only case that requires belling are straight walled cases and pistol cases.

Reactions: CK1.0