• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noob to AR, need help.

Islas82

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
North Las Vegas
Am a bolt gun type of guy, I have owned a couple gas guns in the past but never really been serious about it and they all are now gone. I would like to add one to my safe now but am not really knowledgeable about the platform to make an educated decision.

Budget- $1,300-1500 bucks

My two requirements are reliability and accuracy, I don’t necessarily need a 1/4-1/2 moa gun but something respectable. 18” barrel would be nice but am ok with 16” nothing under that. What do I want to do with it? Mostly just range fun, trying to shot accurately to 300-700 yards but also have the comfort that if it’s starts raining Chinese men the rifle won’t let me down.

I would like something that’s out of the box ready to go as far as a good trigger, buffer system and BCG. Don’t really want to drop that kind of money to just have to replace parts.

P.S Yes am sure there’s 3000 threads similar to this one but I don’t care, this one is mine so don’t be a cunt.

Thanks!

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
I recently put together a colt socom m4A1 (14.5” factory pinned/weld) for around $1650. Relatively soft shooting and accurate (has heavier SOCOM profile barrel). Ive taken it to 500m on 2/3 ipsc steel when i had an LPVO on it using 77smks (my clone of mk262 mod1). Had no problems hitting however at 600, hit rate started to drop bigly…

For more precision oriented rifles, check out BCM, LaRue, Aero and Daniel Defense as they may have what you’re looking for in that general price range (ie sub $2000 for a full up gun) based on a hasty GB search…

For production semis in that price range using factory match or hand loaded ammo, expect 1.25-1.5 moa as a general baseline.

Reactions: Islas82
Was looking at DD and BCM, read a few comments about BCM having accuracy issues, I don’t have any personal experience. Am yet to look at offerings from larue. I like the price point of Aero

Yea ive no experience with bcm either but my DD m4 shoots lights out for a chrome lined bbl and has never had any functionality issues…

Heres a target at 500m shot with my DD m4 and a vcog (6 shots, two of which i pulled)
584CA5DE-2AB8-42FF-AFB0-F12B7A6FD0E8.jpeg
8909DCFC-E50F-48D0-ACB3-DED39687B123.jpeg

Last edited:
Yea ive no experience with bcm either but my DD m4 shoots lights out for a chrome lined bbl and has never had any functionality issues…

Heres a target at 500m shot with my DD m4 and a vcog (6 shots, two of which i pulled) View attachment 7888247View attachment 7888248
Local store has a DDM4 and a LWRC 6 that look Gucci AF. Not sure how I feel about the fluted barrel on the LWRC though.

Local store has a DDM4 and a LWRC 6 that look Gucci AF. Not sure how I feel about the fluted barrel on the LWRC though.

My buddy used to have an LWRC SBR and it shot decent. Their fluted barrels would be an acquired taste for me but otherwise they seem to be GTG.

I'd buy the LWRC and shoot it like I stole it. If my memory serves me, all LWRCi rifles come with ambi controls from the factory- shooting both left handed and right handed is highly advised by most top trainers these days.

Reactions: SmolPP and Islas82
I'd buy the LWRC and shoot it like I stole it. If my memory serves me, all LWRCi rifles come with ambi controls from the factory- shooting both left handed and right handed is highly advised by most top trainers these days.
Gonna do some research on it, like I said am not educated on this game.

ditto on this... you can get a range of LWRC pieces from EuroOptic now, just added them to the line... and at $500 less than you can find them other places... but get an SSE trigger from Geissele...

Reactions: SmolPP
ditto on this... you can get a range of LWRC pieces from EuroOptic now, just added them to the line... and at $500 less than you can find them other places... but get an SSE trigger from Geissele...
AND, the LWRCi has a stiffer mono forged upper receiver, along with a one piece modular free float rail. Lots to like.

and I would suggest the 14" IC-A5.... not much for the cleanup of a direct impingement action... Pistons are my choice
I prefer piston to Di as well, but the only NEW in box, good quality, piston ARs that'd fall into his price range would be PWS and the underrated Sig 516 g2.

not that I have had an issue one versus the other, but some say pistons are more reliable and better on internal wear and tear... with the quality built into LWRC, I doubt that comes into play much for either approach... some say the DI is more accurate, but I can attest that my Piston will cover an 8 inch dinner plate off hand from 200 yards, and without flyers... take that for what it is worth... I zero my IC-A5 at 50 yards, and the cross over at 200 is right on the money

Reactions: Milf Dots
Besides cleanliness what other benefits do you get from piston system?

Opinions will wildly differ but to me just a pound of weight. The recoil is softer but on the caliber your looking for it really doesn’t have any anyway. I haven’t found pistons any more reliable, they are allot easier to clean but I love cleaning guns so it’s not a issue for me, my humble advice is to stick with DI. Bcm, DD, Lwrc are all top of the line guns and you can’t really make a wrong choice which ever feels better to you. My personal choice would be the bcm. There is a difference, the bcm is designed to be combat accurate, so you will probably see slightly tighter groups with the other two, but as far as a guns reliability bcm’s are top notch, they will suffer allot of abuse and keep rolling.

Opinions will wildly differ but to me just a pound of weight. The recoil is softer but on the caliber your looking for it really doesn’t have any anyway. I haven’t found pistons any more reliable, they are allot easier to clean but I love cleaning guns so it’s not a issue for me, my humble advice is to stick with DI. Bcm, DD, Lwrc are all top of the line guns and you can’t really make a wrong choice which ever feels better to you. My personal choice would be the bcm. There is a difference, the bcm is designed to be combat accurate, so you will probably see slightly tighter groups with the other two, but as far as a guns reliability bcm’s are top notch, they will suffer allot of abuse and keep rolling.
Yes I have read a lot about BCM’s reliability. Coming from bolt guns where accuracy is everything it’s hard to get away from that state of mind, obviously am not expecting bolt action accuracy from an AR nor it’s what am looking for but I gotta tell me brain acceptable accuracy is ok. Haven’t seen any BCMs in stock either.

Buy this when back in stock. Clean and lube it. Buy a good lower with a good trigger. Lube it. Push the pins in and have a good time.

They have 18 & 20 inch options as well. You’ll be in the $1100-1200 range.

Yes I have read a lot about BCM’s reliability. Coming from bolt guns where accuracy is everything it’s hard to get away from that state of mind, obviously am not expecting bolt action accuracy from an AR nor it’s what am looking for but I gotta tell me brain acceptable accuracy is ok. Haven’t seen any BCMs in stock either.
They are hard to come me by at the moment unless you want bcm keymod which I’ve seen a few available. But we are entering another panic phase, I’ve seen this more than a few times when the word ban comes up. If that worries you I would suggest at worst case just to buy a 10 pack of pmags and wait for what you want to come back in stock, even the asinine house bill doesn’t ban the rifle just the sale of some magazines.

Buy this when back in stock. Clean and lube it. Buy a good lower with a good trigger. Lube it. Push the pins in and have a good time.

They have 18 & 20 inch options as well. You’ll be in the $1100-1200 range.
I have read lots of good things about those uppers.

I have read lots of good things about those uppers.
For $685 with a charging handle and bcg, you’ll be pressed to beat it for the money. It’ll be closer to the bolt gun accuracy you’re used to. Good stainless barrels are tougher than they get credit for.

You are getting good feed back. I'd look at DD and BCM as a place to start researching.
You might find something at your LGS or Pawn shop.... You just never know. The good thing would be cash and carry and not sweating shipping. Something to consider.

OP, in that price range, I would look at (in no order):
  • BCM Recce 16 MCMR (with BFH barrel)
  • FNH TAC3
  • LWRC DI
  • Centurion MidWeight CM4
  • Cobalt Gen 1 BAMF PRO (they are blowing out the gen 1's for a good discount)
Out of those, the FNH TAC3 and the Centurion would be my top choices.

OP, in that price range, I would look at (in no order):
  • BCM Recce 16 MCMR (with BFH barrel)
  • FNH TAC3
  • LWRC DI
  • Centurion MidWeight CM4
  • Cobalt Gen 1 BAMF PRO (they are blowing out the gen 1's for a good discount)
Out of those, the FNH TAC3 and the Centurion would be my top choices.
Cobalt is very interesting but were beyond my price range, this is good info. Do you have to go direct through cobalt for said discount or are distributors also applying it?

(1) Buy one listed above.

(2) Shoot the piss outta it.

(3) Profit.

PS. I almost always swap out the trigger as they are always lawyered as ass from the factory. While I'll get crap for saying it, its hard to F up an AR these days. If you go with a known brand, you will be g2g.

Then buy Ammo. Lots and Lots of Ammo. (see step 2).

Reactions: rpoL98 and Islas82
Sounds like you are getting into gas guns without a specific requirement and just want to toy around with it. Having been there, I know you will be disappointed with the accuracy. You say you're good with a rough MOA gun but when it starts throwing those fliers you will get pissed. Here's what I would do if I was you.

Build an AR.

SLR Rifleworks builders kit. Or Aero M4E1 builders kit(Cheaper). 15" handguard.

1. CMC 2.5lb SS trigger
2. VLTOR A5 buffer tube, A5+2 buffer, Green Sprinco buffer spring.
3. Rainier Mountain MOD2 16" 1:7.5" 5.56mm barrel
4. PRI M84 gas buster charging handle
5. Some guys lower parts kit without the grip, fire control, trigger guard.
5. A nitrided BCG(Lantac?)
6. MAGPUL MOE SLIM LINE CARBINE STOCK
7. Seekins AGB
8. Some dudes midlength nitrided gas tube

9. DeadAir Sierra 5 Xeno

Trust me. It will be fun, accurate, and you will appreciate the rifle more.

Second the CMC, I’m a fan of the trigger as well as the company, got the single stage flat, also have their Glock trigger.

Some folks may laugh, but I bought my son a Lead Star grunt, and that thing $ for $ has been a great deal. Golf ball size groups at 100. That’s not great, but pretty good for a very budget oriented rifle with a red dot. It has run great from day one with no jams at all. I LOVE my JP’s, but if the shtf, I would have no problem grabbing this little rifle and heading out. I will also second the post above, change out the trigger ASAP. CMC makes a good trigger. I have their two stage on my large frame AR and it works really good. A lot of the Lead Stars come with Hyperfire triggers. The one in my PCC works pretty good.

I just received a Aim Surplus SSAT trigger today.
I'm impressed, and not just for the $79 it cost, I'm impressed because it's a damn nice trigger.
I bought it as a WTF because it was cheap, but it's equal to my Elf match triggers and almost feels as nice as my Jewell R700 units.
Maybe I just got a uncommon specimen....who knows.
It sure feels better than any Geiselle I've tried though......might save someone some money even.

I definitely second getting a Aero M4E1 set, and get the "enhanced" upper and forearm/rail.
It's the most solid setup I know.
A decent barrel, and everything else can be pretty generic.
Fancy safeties and bolt releases don't make the gun shoot better.....they just look fancy.

Am a bolt gun type of guy, I have owned a couple gas guns in the past but never really been serious about it and they all are now gone. I would like to add one to my safe now but am not really knowledgeable about the platform to make an educated decision.

Budget- $1,300-1500 bucks

My two requirements are reliability and accuracy, I don’t necessarily need a 1/4-1/2 moa gun but something respectable. 18” barrel would be nice but am ok with 16” nothing under that. What do I want to do with it? Mostly just range fun, trying to shot accurately to 300-700 yards but also have the comfort that if it’s starts raining Chinese men the rifle won’t let me down.

I would like something that’s out of the box ready to go as far as a good trigger, buffer system and BCG. Don’t really want to drop that kind of money to just have to replace parts.

P.S Yes am sure there’s 3000 threads similar to this one but I don’t care, this one is mine so don’t be a cunt.

Thanks!

I think the battle worn GREEN is Purdy and kind of on budget.

Besides cleanliness what other benefits do you get from piston system?
You don't get port pop when running suppressed. You're receivers don't get hardly any blow-back or carbon inside of your receivers or all over your BCG if you have the system tuned right with an H2 or H3 buffer. And when running suppressed or unsuppressed, the LWRC has a self-regulating short-stroke gas piston system, which means you don't have to adjust anything, it does it automatically by design. Pistons are also extremely reliable, and you don't have to worry about any gas tubes getting damaged, clogged up, or blown up in a SHTF situation.

I've had my LWRC M6A1 since 2009. It has the old school Lothar Walther heavy 16" ("machine-gun profile") barrel, and it's damn-accurate. Get the LWRC piston gun and you won't regret it.

I also run Ergo Ambi Suregrips, Rise Armament RA-434 triggers and KNS Precision anti-walk pins in all my AR's. I highly recommend this setup.

IMG_1677.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of pistons but PWS and LWRC make some solid choices.

For factoy built DI, the WOA suggestion is always a good one. My latest experience with Seekins would push me towards one of their rifles also. I find it better to build my own.

(1) Buy one listed above.

(2) Shoot the piss outta it.

(3) Profit.

PS. I almost always swap out the trigger as they are always lawyered as ass from the factory. While I'll get crap for saying it, its hard to F up an AR these days. If you go with a known brand, you will be g2g.

Then buy Ammo. Lots and Lots of Ammo. (see step 2).
^^^ this

LWRC is known for their pistons, but I’d get the IC-DI MLOK ($1300-1600) and be done with it in this price range for a turnkey package.

You can find just the complete LWRC M6 IC lower for $600ish from reasonable retailers and use the rest of your budget on a factory upper of your choice, as well.

Reactions: FuhQ and Islas82
LWRC is known for their pistons, but I’d get the IC-DI MLOK ($1300-1600) and be done with it in this price range for a turnkey package.

You can find just the complete LWRC M6 IC lower for $600ish from reasonable retailers and use the rest of your budget on a factory upper of your choice, as well.
All roads are leading to the LWRC DI, LGS has a sweet grey one for $1,659 are there other retailers where I could find a better price on?

Reactions: FuhQ
All roads are leading to the LWRC DI, LGS has a sweet grey one for $1,659 are there other retailers where I could find a better price on?
Much. Check PM.

Edit: missed the boat though. Pre-Covid the IC-DI rifles could be had for about $1K.

• Wow
Anyone had experience with the Seekins NX15?
I have not but do own several Seekins rifles.
I recommend the Seekins IRMT-3 or SP3R (uses triangular with flat bottom handguard vs round one) upper receiver over the NX15. These allow those two handguards to attach directly to the receiver giving a very stiff monolithic type upper. Improves accuracy. Unless you are going as light weight as possible, then a custom build with carbon fiber parts is better anyway.

Now a different question, what optic?! 😂 I have been looking closely at an acog 3.5 plus RMR set up but I have no experience with that optic and have read some things about reticle disappearance if you don’t have excellent vision, which I don’t I wear glasses. Any of you guys have experienced this?

ACOGs don’t have an adjustable diopter so if you fall out of the percentile the optics are optimized for you could have issues.

Razor Gen 2 1-6 is the industry standard/standby favorite for carbine LPVOs, though it is old and SFP. I’d try a Primary Arms PLX Compact frankly, looks very promising with basically NF NX8 specs at a fair discount and positive early reviews. The big boy LPVOs are fairly piggish and I find make carbines less pointable.

ACOGs don’t have an adjustable diopter so if you fall out of the percentile the optics are optimized for you could have issues.

Razor Gen 2 1-6 is the industry standard/standby favorite for carbine LPVOs, though it is old and SFP. I’d try a Primary Arms PLX Compact frankly, looks very promising with basically NF NX8 specs at a fair discount and positive early reviews. The big boy LPVOs are fairly piggish and I find make carbines less pointable.
Yes that’s what am afraid of, My eye sight is shit although I am used to shooting with my glasses I don’t know if I will have problems. I have been thinking about the razor g2, SFP doesn’t bother me too much since any shots at distance will be taken at 6x, that being said FFP would be nice. I do hear a lot of hood things about PA LPVOs might start looking into those.

If you always shoot with corrective lenses it wont matter as long as you’re looking through them when the rifle is shouldered, but weird positions might be problematic.

Ive taken it to 500m on 2/3 ipsc steel when i had an LPVO on it using 77smks (my clone of mk262 mod1). Had no problems hitting however at 600, hit rate started to drop bigly…
That is my issue with every AR I own. On the two SBRs, I start having issues past 400m. On the 14.5" I am reliable out to about 500m and then it drops off a cliff.

That is my issue with every AR I own. On the two SBRs, I start having issues past 400m. On the 14.5" I am reliable out to about 500m and then it drops off a cliff.
Yep, that’s why I sold my LPVOs went back to all Aimpoints w/3x magnifiers on carbines. Cost and weight penalties weren’t worth the squeeze of an extra 100m of eff range an LPVO may yield (to me). Plus I find the lighter weight w/the T2 much easier to drive the gun when under bnvgs.

If I want to go further than 300-400m I grab a precision rifle. My mk12 mod 1 is consistent to 700m with the exact same load (77smk / 25g AA2520 / LC 1x case / R7.5 srp)

Yep, that’s why I sold my LPVOs went back to all Aimpoints w/3x magnifiers on carbines. Cost and weight penalties weren’t worth the squeeze of an extra 100m of eff range an LPVO may yield (to me). Plus I find the lighter weight w/the T2 much easier to drive the gun when under bnvgs.

If I want to go further than 300-400m I grab a precision rifle. My mk12 mod 1 is consistent to 700m with the exact same load (77smk / 25g AA2520 / LC 1x case / R7.5 srp)
I keep getting tempted to build some kind of AR10 but I am trying to be patient and wait for the Geissle 6ARC release next month.