• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

noob to bolt guns, need help

tmckay2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2009
ive got some money to spend on a new bolt action set up. ive done lots with AR's but am new to this area. i was thinking id get a remington 700 sps tactical aac-sd in 308 sinc ei have a 308 can. any suggestions on good things to upgrade from the get go (besides stock)? how about scope rings? thanks everyone!

Re: noob to bolt guns, need help

That is a great question. I, and many here, would be happy to help you with that however let me make a recommendation first. Although the search engine here is not that great, you will find that we have another, one that can be found here

Search Here

If you try looking for your answer using this search method, I’m sure you will not only find what you are looking for, but you also may find answers to other questions you may have not asked yet. Although your question is new to you, it is one that has been asked here many, many times. I’m sure you will be able to uncover the exact information you are looking for. Why don’t you try finding your answer with the above search tool, and then come back to us if that doesn’t work for you.
Thanks for your time, enjoy Sniper’s Hide.

Just set up the exact same rifle (AAC-SD) for my son-in-law. If you're looking for decent quality components that won't break the bank, here's some suggestions.

Weaver 20 MOA rail
Burris Xtreme Tactical 30mm Low rings
Super Sniper 10X scope
Harris S-BRM bipod
Eagle stock pack

The factory stock isn't the greatest, but if you do your part, it's still a sub-MOA gun right out of the box.

If you want an economical stock upgrade, check the classifieds for a H-S Precision that someone has pulled off a 5R Milspec.

Don't scrimp on the ammo if you're looking for accuracy. Get some Federal Gold Medal Match, or other quality ammo and you're set.

Egw makes good bases for reasonable prices. For rings the Burris XTR rings are hard to beat for the price. Scopes is on you. The SS scopes aren't bad for the price. B&C stocks are pretty good for the what you pay. Hope this helps to get you started.

Thanks for the advice. I've already got a viper pst so I'm set on the scope. I plan to try out the j Allen stock even though it's a ten month wait. That's ample time to get better with the rifle anyway. I'll keep the old stock and put a cheek riser or something on it. But how's the bolt and trigger? I've seen conflicting reports.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tmckay2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But how's the bolt and trigger? I've seen conflicting reports.</div></div>

What do you mean by conflicting reports? If you're talking about the CNBC special, you may raise peoples blood pressures. If you're talking about Timney vs Jewell vs Rifle Basix, then you can easily use the search function and find tons of threads already covering that dilemma. Majority of the people here are very happy with Seekins and Badger ordinance rings and bases. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Get Hard Art</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tmckay2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But how's the bolt and trigger? I've seen conflicting reports.</div></div>

What do you mean by conflicting reports? If you're talking about the CNBC special, you may raise peoples blood pressures. If you're talking about Timney vs Jewell vs Rifle Basix, then you can easily use the search function and find tons of threads already covering that dilemma. Majority of the people here are very happy with Seekins and Badger ordinance rings and bases. Good luck. </div></div>

what i mean is some people say the factory trigger is complete shit, some people say its great. some people say its durable and reliable, some people say itll break the second you pull it. basically same story with the bolt. so i was curious if they are things that should be replaced to begin with to save headaches or if they are generally good enough.

I have the std SPS Tactical with X-Mark Pro trigger and just changed it out with a Timney. I tried to adjust the pull but could never get it down to what I wanted. The Timney is much better IMHO. Also bought a 5r HSP "take off" from a member here. Seems like everything you do just improves on the rifle.

The factory X-Mark Pro trigger generally can't go below 3 lbs. If you want something lighter, aftermarket is the way to go. I didn't like the 3 lb pull on my SPS Tactical, so I went with a Timney. When I got a Remington 5r, I went straight to Timney.

In some rare cases, factory triggers and bolts have snapped.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tmckay2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I plan to try out the j Allen stock even though it's a ten month wait. That's ample time to get better with the rifle anyway.</div></div>

Out of curiosity, where did you hear that? I believe they've been saying that for a few years now. If wanting to upgrade the stock (which is highly advisable) I would probably look somewhere else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mpmilton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tmckay2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I plan to try out the j Allen stock even though it's a ten month wait. That's ample time to get better with the rifle anyway.</div></div>

Out of curiosity, where did you hear that? I believe they've been saying that for a few years now. If wanting to upgrade the stock (which is highly advisable) I would probably look somewhere else. </div></div>

thats what they told me. said they are in production but won't ship for 10 months or so.

as far as going a different route with the stock, its not bad advice, but to be honest i am new to bolt rifles. i have a lot to learn. slapping a $600+ stock on it immediately after getting it seems wrong. sometimes its best to start with basics and get as good as possible, then enhance the rifle. the reason i was asking about the trigger and bolt was more for longevity than help in accuracy. thanks for the info on the triggers by the way guys.

knowing my compulsive behavior, i wouldn't be surprised if i get tired of waiting for the j allen and just jump to something else 6 months down the road while i wait, but to start out ill probably just keep the stock and add an adjustable cheek riser and work on my groups. i also need to build a load for it which takes me ages.