• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Noob w/ new rifle... which scope?

d.hodgee

Private
Minuteman
Well I'm new to the site and I just bought a remington 700sps-t in 308.

I want to spend $700-$800 on a scope (new or like new). What are my options?

What would be a good scope to use. (target, hunting, whatever else)

I would like to get into some long range shooting but, I understand that time will come with experience.

Thanks!

Re: Noob w/ new rifle... which scope?

Look for a used Leupold Mk4. You should get a good used one for your price range in the for sale section here. Don't go cheap on the glass. Also a Bushnell 6500 should fit your price range as well. Wiat and double your budget and you can get a really fine optic. I have seen a few Nightforce NSX's go for 12-1300, but you have to be quick to get the deals.
YMMV-Rob

Weaver has a new tactical scope coming out that would be a good scope in your price range. Won't hit the market until August though. I just bought a new AR-15 and I'm looking a W.O. Tac 4-14 x 50. Out of stock at the moment, due in a few weeks.

http://www.sightwonders.com/wotacriflescope.html

There is a forum about them on here.

Save your money for a 3.5-15X50 Nightforce NXS. IMO it can't be beat for the money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: d.hodgee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I'm new to the site and I just bought a remington 700sps-t in 308.

I want to spend $700-$800 on a scope (new or like new). What are my options?

What would be a good scope to use. (target, hunting, whatever else)

I would like to get into some long range shooting but, I understand that time will come with experience.

Thanks! </div></div>

For the price range that you are talking about, a good used Mark IV is hard to beat. Quality wise, of course the Nightforce and the US Optics are going to be better, but they also will cost more. My advise is to buy the best possible scope your budget permits. If you need to save a few more months to get the top scope, then it will be worth it. Remember, buy once cry once. Otherwise, it will be a very expensive science experiment. Good stick BTW

I am also new to the site. I have been shooting for a long time and like my nikons on hunting rifles that i shoot. have a 4.5-14 Mil-dot buckmaster and a 6-18 BDC buckmaster on a 270 weatherby and a 204. I just bought a Remington 700 5R in 300 Win Mag. I plan to hunt and target shoot. have done some 5-600 yard shooting with my 204 with the 6-18 nikon with MOA accuacy. I really want to work up to a 1000 with the 5R should I stay with Nikon or should I go with a better brand? I would like to keep it under 1000 but could save up a little longer. also any good recticles? Dont mind Mil dot really regret buying Bullet Drop Comensator.

Sightron SIII 6-24X50 LR MD New Model or 3.5-10x44 MD . If you buy use be careful some are trying to sell used old model SIII for used new model SIII prices. They are not the same but are very good also.

They have glass, tracking & quality that compares to some of the NF scopes that cost almost twice as much. They are not as heavy as a NF which I prefer and the whole ocular doesn't rotate when changing the power like a NF. They have a lifetime replacement Warranty that is second to none. The Mildot SIII scopes can be hard to find right now because most everyone is sold out of them. Sightron has a new shipment coming that will hit dealer selves in about a month. The Big Sky SII 6.5-20x50 MD SF & 4.5-14x44 MD SF is an excellent scope also for the price.

GC

Buy once, cry once. For the quality of rifle you just purchased I recommend a Nightforce F1 for ~$1500. There have been a few offered on the Optics for Sale for less then NIB. Be patient and you might score one. I paid $2950 for my rifle and $2575 for my scope both pre-owned from the Hide classifieds. The point being it is not uncommon spending as much for your scope as your rifle.

I say by a Sightron and have smile on your face and leave the crying too those who over paid for their scope.

GC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">or spending less for the Super Sniper 10x42 <span style="font-weight: bold">with Side Focus Adjustment, <span style="text-decoration: underline">NOT</span> Rear Focus Adjustment</span>

http://www.swfa.com/p-4305-swfa-ss-10x42-tactical-riflescope.aspx

</div></div>

Ranger, any reason why not the rear focus one?

The Side Focus Adjustment scope tends to be easier to re-sell down the road when you upgrade to a USO.

There is also some technical reason that unfortunately I can't quite remember and have no idea where on the web I saw it. I think the explanation went something like

Best focus for "clarity" (or was that brightness?): Objective Lens

2nd best focus for "clarity" (or was that brightness?): Side paralex adjustment.

Least desireable focus for "clarity" (or was that brightness?): Ocular Lens

I just wish I could remember more exactly.

i"ve been shooting with a tasco Tactical/varmint 10-40x50mm scope for a couple years now and havent really had any problems.plus its pretty unbeatable in price at only around $150

burris XTR is a nice scope for that range or try to find a Nikon or mk4 used

what about a zeiss conquest 4.5-14X50? you should look at those. i have one and compared it to a friends mark 4 and could tell it had better glass. it is in you price range.

Thanks I will look into some of those options. I did some more research on nightforce after reading some about them here and really like the scope and its features just a bit hesitant on paying 1500 on a scope. It seems the repeatability on adjustments and return to zero function on the nightforce are really good. Will the burris sightron or even the higher end nikons have the same results with ajusting and returning to zero?

How are the Leupold mark 4 scopes? do they compare to a a nightforce?

I'm returning my Leupold VxII 6-18x to Cabela's tomorrow...not strong enough (my eyes) and maybe spoiled on my Swarovski 6-24x. Has anyone tried Bushnell Elite 6500 in the 4.5-30x? sounds good...

[/quote]
Otherwise, it will be a very expensive science experiment. Good stick BTW [/quote]

<span style="color: #000099">Funny you say that. I've had a lot of those expensive experiments. From dirt bikes to trucks. </span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAX100</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say by a Sightron and have smile on your face and leave the crying too those who over paid for their scope.

GC </div></div>

<span style="color: #000099">How would this compare to the USO ST-10?</span>

If i had to do it over i would not have bought my zeiss and saved a lil longer to get a nightforce

Sir
for what it is worth I am shooting a 20X supersniper out ot 1000 and it seems to work OK. - for the money hard to beat. But I am saving for avariable power to deal better with mirage.
good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> US Optics ST-10. It's a superb scope for any rifle and <span style="text-decoration: underline">the clarity is unmatched</span>. Plus it's under 1k. </div></div>

Just got me an ST10 (options brought it up quite a bit more than $1k) but mine with the 37mm obj can make out better detail at 100yds than my SN3 can at 17X
I really can't wait to get it out and play with it a bit more.

Give Mike at CS Gunworks a holler, or Scott at Liberty Optics for good info on good glass from two great vendors.

Side focus supersnipers are to be avoided in my opinion, as they have an extra lens assembly. More parts, more chance at breakage.

10X or 16X Super Sniper will serve you well.

You just missed a great deal on an FFP 3.5-10 M3 MK4 chpprguy sold for $700.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Side focus supersnipers are to be avoided in my opinion, as they have an extra lens assembly. More parts, more chance at breakage.</span>

10X or 16X Super Sniper will serve you well.

You just missed a great deal on an FFP 3.5-10 M3 MK4 chpprguy sold for $700. </div></div>

That's what I've read, that less things to go wrong with the rear focus.

Regardless, still a great scope

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> US Optics ST-10. It's a superb scope for any rifle and <span style="text-decoration: underline">the clarity is unmatched</span>. Plus it's under 1k. </div></div>

Just got me an ST10 (options brought it up quite a bit more than $1k) but mine with the 37mm obj can make out better detail at 100yds than my SN3 can at 17X
I really can't wait to get it out and play with it a bit more.</div></div>

If I kept it under 1k would it still be a strong scope for the money?

Since you are a Noob, I think there is so much to learn about that is relavant to the type of shooter you are. Are you a detail person and very driven, then one of the sophisticated scopes may be for you. If you don't have that kind of time or just want to have fun, then there are system that will work well for you. One quick thing you will learn is that in your price range, reticle choices are slim and there are a fair number of gotchas. Think about adjustment travel. Some scopes have very limited travel and you will have to compensate with a slopped base or slope in the rings themselves. Another gotcha in my opinion that is rampant in the lower cost scopes is the "mildot reticle" but with MOA turrets. This can be much more difficult to build skill with than a complementary Mil turret adjustment.
Mostly you will find Rear focal plane reticles, but there might be a front focal plane reticles. These work very different and both have their advantages and disadvantages (those differences are probably in other threads you can search and read about). Maybe you could think about these issues and post so people can comment relative to your interest/style.

I am a noob to "Precision" shooting but I'm a long time shooter.

I'm a fairly detailed person. I would like to put together a nice rifle and really perfect my skill. I think I will really enjoy my time with this. I don't require the very best but would want a quality product to start with. Something very durable for hunting in all different weather conditions. I would like to buy a scope that will allow me to shoot at longer distances efficiently. I'm not going to drop $1500 or more on a fancy scope until I really get into this. (and the economy picks up)

I would hope for around $700 I could find a good product.