• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noobie and have a question about bolt action rifle.

vietboy1st

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2010
Boston, Mass
Hi, i live in an anti gun state. Which ar is not legal to own in the city area. But i found out that bolt action rifle is legal to own. My question which is the best brand / model for bolt action rifle? Also which scope should i go with it?
My purchase is less than 1,000 for the rifle. optic i can spend around $800 or less. Caliber i am looking for is .308. My local club range has an outdoor range up to 300 yards. But i can travel to other state to shoot out over 700 yards ... Just looking for the best accurate bolt action rifle at long distance ( i know it depends on the shooter for the accuracy) .
Thank you

a modified rem 700 or Tikka T3 so they accept magazines would be a good choice. If you look around and find one for a $1000 an M1A would be better, though they are not a bolt gun per se

You can prolly get a rem 700 or the Tikka for around $500-$600 The mod to make them accept AIC mags is around $100 then you have extra $$$ to toss towards your glass or ammunition

Last edited:
i was in the same shoes looking for my first bolt action rifle also.
I think firstly you'll need to decide which route you want to end up going with the rifle. i.e. bench shooting, target shooting, tactical, hunting etc.
Do you plan on doing modifications? or are you looking to buy one and done? and how much shooting will you realistically be doing?

that helped me decide what i wanted to get and where i was gonna go with the rifle.
Best brand/model is a hard question because so many brands/models would be someones best.

Winchester, Savage, Tikka, and some Remington ones will do what you are asking. All have decent aftermarket support. You don't need a DBM if your shooting targets slowly, it will be just an extra expense that can net you better optics or more ammunition.

Usually you want to spend more on optic compared to rifle. You will also have to get decent base and rings which add up. Also will you want front focal plane they cost more, or second focal plane? Tikkas are nice, remington 700 has some good offerings and the most aftermarket support, certain savages lets you swap out the barrel so you can make changes yourself with the right tools and know how. I would do a little more research before jumping to buy a rifle so you know what you really want out of your purchase.