• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

noobie with a new rifle question

trvmorrow

Private
Minuteman
Apr 5, 2010
I am new to the sight, but have been reading the threads just to gather some info before I even ask a question. This will be my first bolt rifle build/purchase, and I was wanting to get some input. More than likelly it will be a stevens 200 build. I am wanting a rifle that has good knok down power to be able to take deer sized game out to 500 yards, maybe more with practice. What are some caliber recomendations for this? The local shop by me is closing out the stevens rifles in 270 and 7mm-08 for $199. Further, what are some recomendations as far as making that base set up a better rifle? I reload my bullets, have a decent knowledge of rifles (just finished an ar build that is a fun tack driver in 223 now I want more power). Recoil is not a big problem with me so larger calibers could be an option.

....sorry for posting before i was done typing and having to edit I hit enter and it posted

Re: noobie with a new rifle question

Um, welcome
smile.gif

Its a 'site'. A sight would be a vista of rolling meadows viewed from upon a hilltop.
smile.gif
[Just Teasing.]

And uh... input on what, exactly?

Further I open to the idea of changing the barrel, stock, and caliber of the base rifle I am building off of.

Personally, I love the 270 caliber. Nice flat trajectory. Meets most local area's game laws around size of caliber, etc. Still has reasonable ballistic performance out to several hundred yards, covering most shooting situations.

The 7mm-08 performs, in my experience, very similar to a 308 -- albeit at a much higher cost to shoot
smile.gif

If you want to hunt at 500 yards, both of these round are marginal against big game in terms of lethality, not impossible or exclusive, just marginal. You need to place your shot correctly and have the accuracy to get your hit right the first time.

Ive taken an elk with a 243 at 400 yards so don't let people tell you that its not possible. A lot of modern rifle calibers, if you plant a shot between two ribs and the full energy dissipates as shock in the animal, its not going very far.

That being said, figuring out which is the "right" choice for you... I lean more towards the 7mm-08 on the basis of external ballistics and am interested as to accessories.. how is your endurance. Do you need a light rifle? How do you hunt? Are you humping it up and down hills, or do you make your way up above a pool and wait for the game to come to you?

It does make a difference in your gear
smile.gif

I am young and in decent shape. As for my hunting it ranges from deer at a max of 300 yards in south texas brush to long open fields being terrorized by by pigs. This will be primarelly a pig rifle. I can stop the truck 150 yards away from them all day long and give em hell with my ar, but now I want to try long distance. The land I help keep the pigs in check on has many long agriculture fields where shots can be taken at ranges well over a 1000 yards if I wanted to, but I dont (well not till I have the right tools). I know not to take a shot I dont think I can make. I am really wanting to use the chances I have to make long shots on pigs as a way to better myself as a long range hunter after I put in the range time.

Yes pigs are tough animals and I have a 270 that will knock their lights out at 300 yards all day, but the rifle is worth too much money and too much sentiental value. Its a model 70 pre 64 supergrade custom with a small digit serial that I was left when my great grandfather passed. He was not a hunter and the rifle was won at a rafle. It would sicken me if anything were to accidently happen to it, but back on topic.

I really am wanting to know what caliber of the stevens 200 model may suit what I am wanting the best. Also, what upgrades as far as trigger, stock, barrel, mounts, rings, scope, etc. would be best for making this a budget long range hunting and target machine. As for budget I am wanting to keep the rifle before glass somewhere around $700-900. That number may be wishful thinking, but at least thinking is a start. Keep in mind this will be my first rifle build beyond buying a rifle scope rings and ammo except for my ar build. I would like to do as much of the work myself to actual learn more hands on.

The stor that has the 7mm-08 and 270 for $199 also has 7mm, 300, and 30-06 for a little more money in the stevens.

The 30-06 will have the most available match grade ammunition both in hunting and in target bullets that can be found on the shelf.

The 30-06 ammo can be found quite literally everywhere, and even now in times of ammo hoarding and shortages, I don't have a problem seeing 3006 on the shelf and a bare spot for 308.

308 does have more offerings of match grade ammo, but they cost about the same.

A $200 rifle is hard to argue with, and a 270 that can be quite easily rebarreled to a 308, 260, 30-06, 280, etc etc etc. is a bargain.

If you're planning to put a new barrel on it, the $200 270 is the way to go.

The 270 is also easily capable of taking anything shy of dangerous north american game out to the ranges you are looking at, assuming that you can properly place the bullet.

The downside to the 270 is bullet availability. It's not popular in tactical or match shooting circles because there are few match bullets available for it. 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 cal (7.5mm) are where the plethora of bullets can be found.

You should strongly considering reloading as well. An RCBS partner press and some smart choices of equipment can have you making very good ammo for about $200.

If the 30-06 can be had for a little more, I'd just get that honestly. It can be loaded light for easy shooting, varmints, or plinking, or you can load it to run with the bigger cases like the 300 WM if done properly. I've shot light 90gr pistol bullets all the way up to 240gr bullets from mine, but my choice accuracy long range load is a 208gr Amax running 2850+ fps...

Recoil can be a problem for some when you load them that heavy. If you want to run the Stevens you'll do fine, and if you're going to rebarrel it anyway, get the cheapest long action you can. The long action will let you run 308 cases, 30-06 cases and belted magnums as the life of the action goes along.

everyone must have a go-to .308 that you can hit with.

a deal sometimes ain't a deal, when the end game is hitting stuff with precision rifles......199 bux will not get you far certianly in an off-brand with no aftermarket "stuff" available for it.

get a spell checker

bohem I have a reloader

boltripper I will get a spell checker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KnabstrupperUSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">order something from gap or apa and be done with it one time around </div></div>

kinda out of the price range I am going for, and I want to use this rifle to build on and learn as much as possible about it.

Get the .270. The long action can be used for any cartridge you want for that type hunting. You can keep the .270 size bolt face and rebarrel to .30-06 or .308 as you wish, or change the bolt head and go to one of the magnums...the .7mm or .300 Win will give you the distance. Get a moderately heavy barrel...something like the Springfield 1903-A3 contour. For the price I really like the way Pac-Nor shoots, and their availability. JMHO...every body has one! Won't be long until you have built that $200 sucker into a $2K treasure.

Goone, can you define what "a little more money" is in this context?

If the difference between the 270 and the 30-06 is only a little bit AND you dont mind the recoil of the 30-06 round and are willing to learn to deal with the heavier bullet drop of the round, the range at which you can take your targets is significantly greater.

There are many a great cartridge available in this caliber.

On the overall package, given the rifle you are starting with, dont overspend right away on base and rings and so forth. Save your money for your glass.

I would recommend a 2 piece Burris XT base, Burris XTR rings, and then either a SuperSniper scope from SWFA or if you are willing to wait and scratch together a few more dollars, wait for the Vortex Viper PST to release late spring / early summer.

Without even shopping real hard to find the best price:

Lets call it $270 on the stevens 30-06 from your local guy.
$22 on the Burris XT Picatinny Base
$55 on the rings
$300 on the fixed 10x40 SWFA SS Scope

That gives you a walk out the door-and-get-it-together-price of around $650.

As you get deeper down the rabbit hole, you can upgrade your components, one at a time per your needs. Always remember that there should be nothing on your rifle (i dont care if its an M4 or bolt action) that does not have a real purpose for being there.

Dont spend money on a new stock unless you can concretely define exactly why having this or that gadget on the new stock helps you kill pigs.

Stay mission centric
smile.gif

The 7-08 has the same bolt face as the .308 also. And I think they have the floating bolt heads like the Savage? If this is the case, you can swap the head and you have the option of even more calibers.

If you are willing to load everything for this rifle, the 7mm pills available are vastly superior to 270 stuff.

If you are willing to screw on a different barrel, you have the option of the hot 6.5 calibers too.

The only question you should answer is: do you want a short action or a long action?

As to upgrades, I would put a trigger on it and shoot it. It may shoot great, if not, be ready to get a stock and maybe a barrel.

You can put together a great rifle in your price range. My only real advise is that everyone should have a 308. Even if you just have a 308 barrel that you can screw on.

Where is this store located and how can I get in touch with them? For that $199 price I'll get one to experiment with and turn it into a .260...
laugh.gif

Got the 270 stevens today. The first thing I want to change is the stock. I have seen people with replacement stocks on these rifles, but would like some clear direction as to which ones will fit. Also, can someone give me a link to a good set of bases for this rifle (really would like a one piece). In the past I have had good luck with nikon and bushnell scopes. Any suggestions on a variable power scope for this rifle.

I am going to leave it as a 270 for the time being. I want to see how it shoots before I make any barrel decisions.

Thank you all for the input so far.

EGW makes a nice Picatinny rail for about $40. You can order directly from on-line or Brownell's and Midway sells them too.The Burris 6 screw Tactical rings are quite decent, and if you lap them will do great. When you change the barrel you can unbolt the rings and leave the mount attached (and bedded, I might add.) I'd consider one of the Bell and Carlson stocks with the full length aluminum bedding channel, or similar from HS Precision. I personally would stay away from Choate...they seem awkward and too heavy to me. Just my personal opinion.

If you have the opportunity to handle some of them, McMillian and Manners make some extremely nice stocks. You can stay at around $400 for a base stock that would, most likely, fulfuill all your needs. Word of caution though: Make sure you LOVE the stock in every position that it will see use in. Make sure it fits perfectly. I have a McM A4 and can't stand it for anything but prone off of a sand bag cause it feels funny in my hands (square forend and a big palm swell).

For a cheap fix to your stevens stock flexing get a piece of aluminum and some epoxy to reienforce your stock, theres a few examples here in bolt action rifle section.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=195644
If you have a stagger feed. If you don't you're going to want a higher dollar stock to start either a B&C tactical Medalist or a Choate

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P499.aspx
Scope best for the money in my opinion.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=113796
Great base for the money. Will let you zero at 300 or 500 yards then your mil dot scope will take care of the closer ranges

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=265260
Burris low rings

Rifle 200
Scope 300
Stock 90
Base 45
Rings 35

Total $670

BTW I'm running a Stevens setup in 308 (in sig) I shoot a .6" 5rd group
I built my brothers Stevens in 7mm-08 by moding his stock and he shoots a 3rd group you can cover with a dime.

Good luck,
Merritt
SGT USMC vet.

The factory stock mod sounds pretty easy and cheap. I think I will try it this weekend....Thank you again to everyone who gave ideas and information. I will try to get some pics of the build process togather also.

Yeah here is my version I completed for my brother last week.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...758#Post1727758

Also I forgot you are running the 270 which is a long action so you need to go with any long action savage stock as with long actions it doesn't matter if it's a center or staggerfeed they all have the same screw spacing.

Good luck,
Merritt