• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nook or Kindle, anyone have one?

wkahler

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2006
Englewood, Ohio
Well here's the deal, I'm not much of a reader but the wife is so i was going get her one of the above for Christmas. Just wondering first hand from you guys what you thought about them or any suggestions!

Re: Nook or Kindle, anyone have one?

The GF has a kindle version 3, well she has had one of every version that has came out. She doesnt leave the house without it.

I have the Kindle and I want the ipad just because it does more. I carry my laptop and the Kindle on to planes all the time and it's a pain. The ipad would solve my problem of carry both around. Also, will the ipad you can get newspapers and magazines online to read. Just a thought as it is more expensive than the Kindle.

Jamie

Nook.
Bought my wife the original last year and she's getting the color version this year.

Nook advantages are many.
Reads open standards so you can get books from numerous sources, not just their store.
Can download books from libraries for free.

Nook color is running a version of Android OS, which has already been rooted and hacked to function as a $250 pad computer.

Try this link for comparisons.

http://news.cnet.com/kindle-vs-nook-vs-ipad-which-e-book-reader-should-you-buy

I got the wife a Kindle for Mother's day 2009. In 34 years of marriage I've never given her anything that she has used and enjoyed more. She isn't very tech savy so moving to the ipad really doesn't interest her. (I'm interested though). You can get free books onto the kindle. If I remember correctly you can down load books in the public domain in pdf format and then move them from your 'puter to the kindle (iirc)

I have had a kindle for a while now. Took it with me downrange and all over the place. It's a phenomenal product. As long as you don't need a backlit screen, the kindle at it's price point is the way to go.

0,1468,i=280497,00.gif

And of course, if you do choose to root the nook color, you can always install the Kindle app.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FEw3bs5Xybw"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FEw3bs5Xybw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I have had the Kindle since Christmas last year. Now have about 100 books on it. In the beginning, the books were not too high priced. Just out best sellers were under 10 bucks. Of late, the newest stuff is about 13 bucks and some as high as 20 bucks. Screw that. Our local grocery store sells hard covers at 60% of cover. Then you can pass it along to someone else when you are finished. Or you can wait until it comes out in PB and get it for about 7 bucks. Stuff that is out in PB still runs 10 bucks on the Kindle.

That being said, I drive truck over the road. Whenever I run out of something to read, even if I'm in the middle of nowhere, I can download a book and be reading it within 2 minutes of purchasing it. There are thousands of titles that are free. Lots of the classics are free.

I like the screen as it is very easy to read (easy on the eyes.) Battery life is incredible. I usually just charge it on weekends and it lasts me all week. I usually read a minimum of 2 books per week, sometimes 4.

Can't speak to the other e-readers. Never used any of them. I just like my Kindle. YMMV

Thanks for the overwhelming response!!! I think if i decide to do it will go with the nook or the Kindle 3G. How does it work on outside reading as fare as light and stuff like that?

Provided you have a little bit of light, the Kindle works just fine. It's not backlit, which is partly why it's got such a long battery (one of its real advantages). You can read it anywhere you'd read a normal book.

Considering the Nook, but I think Amazon.com has a better selection (??).

I just paid $560 for 4 college books on information security, I wish they were "Nook-able".

I'd suggest the Nook Colour if it's gift for your wife.

Is the IPad easy to us as a Kindle/Nook?? If I'm going to get a color Nook, I might as well spend the extra $100 or so and get the IPad if it is easy to us as a reader.............suggestions?!?!?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oneshotman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the IPad easy to us as a Kindle/Nook?? If I'm going to get a color Nook, I might as well spend the extra $100 or so and get the IPad if it is easy to us as a reader.............suggestions?!?!? </div></div>

Well, ease is personal, the Kindle/Nook are pretty darn simple due to their specific functionality. The big differences going to the iPad are:
1) battery life -- the iPad is not in the same neighborhood as the others. Bring your power cord.
2) 3G -- On the Kindle the 3G access is free, so you can download books pretty much anywhere you have cell service and no monthly fee. In addition to being more expensive, the iPad will cost you a monthly fee to access 3G.

3) Screen light -- some people (me) prefer reading from the non-backlit screens for long periods. Some don't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oneshotman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the IPad easy to us as a Kindle/Nook?? If I'm going to get a color Nook, I might as well spend the extra $100 or so and get the IPad if it is easy to us as a reader.............suggestions?!?!? </div></div>

The Colour Nook is about $249, the starting Ipad is about $499 so the Ipad is about double the cost.

For the purpose of reading books, the Nook or the Kindle are much lighter and easier to hold, easier to carry around and have a longer battery life.

So to download books it works anywhere like a cell phone or does it on work where there is WiFi?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ATH</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oneshotman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the IPad easy to us as a Kindle/Nook?? If I'm going to get a color Nook, I might as well spend the extra $100 or so and get the IPad if it is easy to us as a reader.............suggestions?!?!? </div></div>

Well, ease is personal, the Kindle/Nook are pretty darn simple due to their specific functionality. The big differences going to the iPad are:
1) battery life -- the iPad is not in the same neighborhood as the others. Bring your power cord.
2) 3G -- On the Kindle the 3G access is free, so you can download books pretty much anywhere you have cell service and no monthly fee. In addition to being more expensive, the iPad will cost you a monthly fee to access 3G.

3) Screen light -- some people (me) prefer reading from the non-backlit screens for long periods. Some don't. </div></div>

I did notice the longer battery life.........I wish they made a cell phone battery work that good LOL!!! I will do some looking on the price idea!! I did notice that it was a little more then i thought at first! Like the idea of the color Nook.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: W54/XM-388</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oneshotman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the IPad easy to us as a Kindle/Nook?? If I'm going to get a color Nook, I might as well spend the extra $100 or so and get the IPad if it is easy to us as a reader.............suggestions?!?!? </div></div>

The Colour Nook is about $249, the starting Ipad is about $499 so the Ipad is about double the cost.

For the purpose of reading books, the Nook or the Kindle are much lighter and easier to hold, easier to carry around and have a longer battery life. </div></div>

My sister has had 2 Nooks. Both returned for replacements due to pixels burnt out in less than 45 days. Maybe she has had bad luck.

My problem is physical space. I have a mental block about divesting old books. I probably don't spend enough time reading to justify an e-book economically, but the space issue probably overshadows cost.

Greg

Well the deal is that she is can read a 300-400 page book on a weekend, if she gets the spare time between me and the kids. I like the idea of one thing that can be used for multiple books...........plus maybe then i can donate the 5 crates of books in the basement to someone who cares!! See she caught on when the stash in the garage slowly started to disappear and all the sudden one trash day she went out to put trash in before the truck got here and found 10 or so of her books........not a good day LOL!!

I bought a Kindle II for my mom last Christmas, she loves it. There are free books coming out constantly, and as was previously mentioned, almost all of the classics. Incredibly easy to download new books, and they're in your Kindle damn near by the time you're done clicking on the download button. Another advantage (which others may offer, I just have no experience with them) is that Amazon constantly updates a recommended book list for you, based off what you've previously downloaded. I have a Kindle 3G now, and haven no complaints. More affordable than the others too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oneshotman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well the deal is that she is can read a 300-400 page book on a weekend, if she gets the spare time between me and the kids. I like the idea of one thing that can be used for multiple books...........plus maybe then i can donate the 5 crates of books in the basement to someone who cares!! See she caught on when the stash in the garage slowly started to disappear and all the sudden one trash day she went out to put trash in before the truck got here and found 10 or so of her books........not a good day LOL!! </div></div>

Reading is a terrible affliction. My father in-law was spending almost 200 a month on books. He got the nook and it did cut his budget down but now he just reads more. Intervention is coming.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tucker301</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nook color is running a version of Android OS, which has already been rooted and hacked to function as a $250 pad computer.</div></div>

Ok, so for the totally "gadget-ignoramous's", are you saying that one of these here "Electro-books" can double as a "tablet/pad style computer" too? With general Interwebthingy access, and everything?

There are certain individuals (In my immediate vicinity...) whom are asking for one or two of the above-mentioned devices for Christmas,,, and I'm wondering the possibilities of an "ALL-IN-ONE" device.

hmmmmmmm,,,,?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sean the Nailer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Ok, so for the totally "gadget-ignoramous's", are you saying that one of these here "Electro-books" can double as a "tablet/pad style computer" too? With general Interwebthingy access, and everything?
</div></div>

It does not have 3G, but it has wi-fi. So connectivity will be limited accordingly.
But yes, in general the device can function as a capable handheld tablet computer for browsing, games, basic applications such as "Shooter", etc.
The rooting process is currently fairly involved, but developers are busy every day trying to make things easier, better, faster, and so on.
You can even install and run the Android app for Kindle for it.

FWIW
I have two Kindle Ver.3 in my house, both work very well 99% of the time. text to speech is useful for my Wife as she is slightly vision impaired, and i can get my Textbooks for School loaded as well. readable in any light level that a paper book is, PD works can be found at price of $0.00 on Kindle store(I jsut downloaded a bunch of Kipling)
now for the bad, MY kindle has pulled the unexpected factory default reset and lost my place repeatedly in a day,(tracked back to a cover i got, not sure why but the leather book-like cover was causing a problem sleeve cover and no more issues, there is a web browser but very basic and sites look a bit goofy. Some books are not available from amazon but most of my reading is available from the publisher for a nominal fee.
overall very pleased with the Kindle give it a 7.5/10 (still annoyed at the reset situation)
YMMV

I researched both and my buddy has an IPAD.

Bottom line. I bought the 10 inch Kindel and one of their 14 dollar accessory lights. The bigger screen works better for my old eyes and not as much page switching. Kindle has lots of free books. I go down range and before I go I load atleast 15 books for a 60 day gig. WIFI is ABSOLUTELY noy available where I am. So ya go with what ya have.

Turn the wifi off and the battery lasts a long time. With the wifi on, not so long.

Buddies IPAD is great and has all the advantages mentioned above. costs three times as much, and since no wifi is available no real advantage. For me-reading books down range this is the best choice.

Just bought my wife a Color Nook for Christmas after first reading about them here!

I have a Kindle v.2 and love it. screen is easy on the eyes. goes about 2 weeks on a battery charge. great selection of books

The reason I didn't do Kindle or Nook is they tie you to a there high dollar ebook distribution. Ck the prices on anything on the best seller list. Almost as bad as hard copy.
With a 4gb card in my Sony reader I can carry more books than I'll read in a long time and can download and install them from any internet pc. The costs of books from any public library or Demanoid is very reasonable. The reason Sony readers are higher cost is they can't recoup there costs by tieing you to there stores with high cost proprietory formats. If Kindle or Nook supports EPUB look at using the freeware app Calibre to convert most formats to Epub. (http://calibre-ebook.com/about)
Can't talk about the Ipad/flexibility thing but if you just want to read books you should look at the total cost of doing business.

Bob, Nook allows you to use many open standards and to get free books from the library.
Please don't associate it with the Kindle in that regard.

Sorry. If you can easily load and use EPUB you can access the majority of the free ebooks on the net and public library system . When I purchased my ereader sometime ago they all tried to tie you to there proprietary overpriced book offerings. If the color Nook can load and use EPUB I'll consider it for my next reader. I do not put much value in a wireless or 3/4G connection as long as the device has enough storage capacity.

Plenty of capacity on the nook color via the micros SD slot. Takes up to 32 GB cards. Also has 8GB onboard.
The original nook also supports open standards.

I have no problem loading my books from a PC but here is another possible issue with a direct connection:
http://www.npr.org/2010/12/15/132058735/is-your-e-book-reading-up-on-you
T3:
When I first looked at Nook they had technical issues with non DRM EPUB and it looks like they are resolved now. I have a lot of EPUB ebooks and they only total 5GB which would easily fit in the Nook Color onboard.