• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report NorCal Long Range Class, 16" 308 @ 1000+

rob.sfo

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Contra Costa County, CA
I attended a long-range class in NorCal last weekend, run by Dan & Jacob @CSTactical. Awesome class and awesome range. Targets out to 1675. 700-1675 section pictured below, there's also a lower portion with steel from 25 to 625 every 25-50 yards.

My shorty 308 performed flawlessly. SRS A2 Covert, 16" 308 barrel from Eric @ES-Tactical. 0.23 MOA group at 300 yards. >80% hit rate at 1000, dropped off to maybe 35% at 1100, then down to <20% at 1200. So I've found the limit of this setup. :)

175 SMK, 44.1 Varget, Lapua, CCI BR4

I got to borrow a RRS tripod to play with, it was absolutely amazing compared to my old Manfrotto CF tripod. I was making hits out to the limits of my rifle. 5 for 5 at 1000. So much fun.

I used Weaponized Math and it got me on target quickly. I also introduced the concept to my 2 buddies who were with me. They loved that it got their noses out of their phones and focused on shooting and gathering dope. They had never shot past 300-400, but were able to get hits out to 1675 (6.5CM and 300WM).

Weaponized Math works. I've also learned a metric ton from the Online Training here, it absolutely set me up for success.

1597599778635.png

Yeah it's so perfect...when I out-shoot the creeds, I get to say, "and I did it with a 308" but when they out-shoot me, I get to say, "but I'm shooting a 16" 308."

It's win-win. ;)
That was a good one haha.

That's awesome! I've been wanting to attend some of their classes for a couple months now but I haven't gotten notice of availability. Glad to hear they are good classes and I'm glad you shot it with a shorty 308!

Damn, I need to get on the mailing list for classes like this in the Bay Area.

I like seeing this as I’m running an 18” .308 I’ve never been able to get out past 300 due to range limits around here. but I’ve been trying to get my load as dialed in as I can. For when I’m able to.

I’m running the 175 nosler custom competitions with 43.6 of 8208xbr Lapua and federal match primers. Getting 2606fps average with 8.2 SD in a 50 round string. Still messing with neck tension and seating depth to see if I can get it down further.

what are you getting for FPS? And do you know your elevation? Just trying to get a comparison for where I’m at vs you actually getting hits at 1200. That’s awesome man!