• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noreen Bad News .338 Lapua semi-auto

Re: Noreen Bad News .338 Lapua semi-auto

Do a search, I belive there is a kaboom story somewhere here on the hide.
In my opinion the 338 seems like it would be a bit sketchy in an AR platform. For what it costs to reload 338, I want as much life as I can get out of my cases and as much accuracy as I can ring out of each round fired and to my way of thinking, a bolt seems like a much better option.

Just my two cents,YMMV!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unknown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Modest recoil" in a 13 pound 338 Lapua? I would sure like to see that. </div></div>
In a Semi-Auto...not hard to believe AT ALL. Add a suppressor and it's even more comfortable.

For a semi-auto .338...I'd look at the guys from RND Manufacturing. Looks a bit heavier, and the price tag carries that extra weight too...but I've "HEARD" good reviews.

With the suppressor on just about anything, recoil is greatly mitigated. I was wondering about a non-suppressed rifle. The person reviewing the 338 Gas guns seems to indicate that the recoil isn't too bad...but then recoil perception can be quite subjective. Even shooting 1 ounce 12 gauge, 3 inch mag slugs from a bench is fine for some people.. I get sorta flinchy after about 5-10 of those though.

Now if someone has actually measured the recoil impulse, that would say a great deal. But if the firearm doesn't work, it is all moot in any case. No matter how much, or little it recoils, if it won't work properly, it doesn't interest me.

I have shot several of the RND 338's and they were very accurate, minimal recoil and had a supurb finish. They have been making them 12 years and he has them dialed in.

I'm not at all surprised that RND's rifles work well. After 12 years, I would suspect that any company "worth it's salt" would either stop making the design, or have worked the bugs out a long time ago.

In addition to RND, it wouldn't surprise me if companies like GA Precision, JP enterprises, Larue, Armalite, LMT, HK, Accuracy Intnl, Desert research, had the ability to work the bugs out of a 338 gas gun if they wanted to.

rnd vs noreen

I'm not at all surprised that RND's rifles work well. After 12 years, I would suspect that any company "worth it's salt" would either stop making the design, or have worked the bugs out a long time ago.

In addition to RND, it wouldn't surprise me if companies like GA Precision, JP enterprises, Larue, Armalite, LMT, HK, Accuracy Intnl, Desert research, had the ability to work the bugs out of a 338 gas gun if they wanted to.

Spoke to mike at rnd and its a 6 month wait. His accessories are extremely expensive...$250 for a magazine?! $700+ for a bipod?! Spoke to Nathan at Noreens and they have made upgrades to their 338 semi auto...$85 for a magazine etc...I am purchasing one as I am writing this blog....

Spoke to mike at rnd and its a 6 month wait. His accessories are extremely expensive...$250 for a magazine?! $700+ for a bipod?! Spoke to Nathan at Noreens and they have made upgrades to their 338 semi auto...$85 for a magazine etc...I am purchasing one as I am writing this blog....
Report back with a range report when ya get a chance to put some rounds downrange. I'm sure alot of Hiders are interested to hear all about a .338 semi auto. Thanks

Saw one at Trigger Time Gun Club in Longmont go BOOM !

It was right next to me and the guy was actually using my chronograph when it happened.

Fired on an unlocked bolt and blew the bolt back into the Magpul PRS Stock, (saved the guy it was a solid stock) and bent and broke the receiver, luckily most of the BOOM went down the magazine well as they are supposed too, but it still cut him up a bit. It was ugly... indoor range, benchrest conditions, brand new rifle.

Kurt Buchert has reviews of his FD338.
I will see if he has time to come post.
I think he's got about 500 or so rounds without issue.
The FD338 was designed as a true AR with no holds barred.
In other words, there is no chance of firing out of battery unless you are really screwing with stuff.

I've been shooting my FD338 going on a few months now....It has somewhere close to 600 rounds through it shooting a mix bag of 225, 250, 285, and 300gr projectiles...

I've only been able to run it out to 600yds, longest ranges around here.....accuracy has been running MOA to Sub-MOA when I do my part...

The one I have is sporting a 22" Lilja 1:10 barrel......was pretty much spec'd out to work in concert with the factory Lapua 250gr Scenar load, and does quite well, clocking at 2,900fps out of the shorter tube....it's my understanding that 1:9 twist barrels in longer lengths are in the works to maximize the potential of the more slick 300gr Scenar and SMK....

The feeding and reliability have been 100%....the brass usually piles up about 18" to 20" out the ejection port at the 3:00 position.....the gas piston system has a three position (normal, suppressed, off) gas block for different modes of shooting, and also has an infinitely adjustable gas valve for tuning the firing modes....makes setting the ejection impulse and pattern a snap....

I'll be glad to answer any questions I can....

Kurt

Last edited:
FD338, Nightforce 12-42

holmwoodpng.png

200yd group

holmwood2png.png