• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Noreen BN36X3 .300 Win Mag Honest review.

Cklotz

Private
Minuteman
Aug 31, 2018
So I took a chance and purchased a Noreen in .300 Win Mag. I topped it with a Burris XTR II 5-25 in a Badger Mount.
Initial impression: Fit between receivers is excellent. Finish is uniform and looks very good. Fluting on the barrel is consistent and well done. The bolt carrier is fluted and has the potential to be very nice looking. Mine however looks like it was chewed on by a beaver, The cam pin was just as bad and was replaced before firing. Additionally, the gas key needed to be restaked as the bolts were easy to loosen. With these issues noted and remedied I headed to the range. I did expect some issues at the price point.

I was finally able to get to the range here in Wisconsin. Point of reference, it was 30 degrees while I was at the range with a 15mph wind. My main goal was a function check and to adjust the gas block. I fired a total of 40 rounds of Federal Gold Medal match 190gr. I started attempting to adjust the gas block. I used 1 round and an empty mag. gas block 1 turn from fully closed. I proceeded to fire 1 round opening 1 full turn after each round waiting for the bolt to lock back. I was never able to accomplish this. After 20 rounds "wasted" and a bunch of frustration I decided to see what would happen if I put 2 rounds in... it feed fine. I put 2 rounds in and proceeded from full open closing the gas block until the second round would not load. I WAS able to get the rifle to feed reliably from the magazine but still not able to get it to lock back. I finished with a 8 round rapid fire.

It was clearly evident where the bolt was hitting the empty mag follower. Hopefully, it just needs some break in as the bolt will lock back when racked by hand. Next time out I plan to play with the gas block more and do accuracy testing. This trip I only shot at 50 yards and it cloverleafed firing from a front rest and no rear bag. I will update after the next range trip as far as actual accuracy since many mistakes and issues can be covered in 50 yards..

Noreen tech support told me to try different ammo as they test with Federal Power shock. Seems like if that works Gold Medal Match definitely should.

Initial summary: It is a fun gun and loads consistently (does not lock open)Muzzle brake is extremely effective. Noreen Match Trigger is great It could be more refined but it is 1/2 the price of others. Most importantly, I am looking forward to getting it out on my next range trip and that says something.

Last edited:
Reactions: RTV
Rules of the internet: pics or it never happened...

Seriously though we need drool material. =)

Reactions: Cklotz
Here are some pictures. I would post a video of the rapid fire but I don’t know how.
84AA14B3-E51F-4CCF-AF2F-AFC1AD4E6D18.jpeg
E197E88A-4D33-4049-924F-5F59C6B36DA7.jpeg
D77028E3-6DDF-4BCA-B2D4-8239DED5AA06.jpeg
F12F743A-A719-45F2-AD56-2A746AC0E760.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: AMGtuned and RTV
Thanks for the review..looks evil.
Waiting for more

Thanks for the review..looks evil.
Waiting for more
Hopefully, I can finish my diy bathroom remodel quickly so I can get back to the range in the next week or two, weather permitting.

I also had the gas key loosen up on my noreen 300 win mag in the first 100 rounds. I had to realign, re -torque, and stake. I gave up on the Noreen gas block and put on an SLR adjustable gas block that was easier to adjust and count detent clicks instead of having cap screws loosen and back out without realizing while shooting. I had some stripped cap screws in the stock trigger so I replaced it with an SSAE that I was used to. You will notice the feed lips on the magazines are sharp where they form a corner/point. they would gouge the brass and seemed to affect feeding from the mag. I put a smooth radius on the corners/edges and it helped make them feed more reliably. The aluminum mags would wear those areas smooth over time eventually. I recommend replacing the stock cam pin with a POF roller pin. You really need to hold this gun firmly into your shoulder and be straight inline with the rifle. If you dont use solid shooting fundamentals, it could affect how the bolt cycles. There is a lot of mass in that bolt carrier. When I was shooting mine trying for small groups, I got a little loose on my grip and fundamentals and it doubled on me on a couple different trigger pulls. Rapidfire Double taps with 300 win mag will definately get you attention at the range. You really need solid fundamentals to shoot these extra large frame ARs accurately. The Noreen is one of the lightest weight and lowest priced large frame production rifles on the market. I would recommend checking torque on scope mount/rings, bipod mount, pretty much all hardware after each range trip to make sure nothing loosened up. If you grip the magwell when firing, keep your digits away from that side charger! Over all it is a fun rifle to shoot. Keep us posted on your progress with your rifle.

There is a lot of mass in that bolt carrier. When I was shooting mine trying for small groups, I got a little loose on my grip and fundamentals and it doubled on me on a couple different trigger pulls. Rapidfire Double taps with 300 win mag will definately get you attention at the range.

Hi,

And THAT is exactly why big bore semi's are so dangerous by nature and design. Because they can "double" and when they do so with the BCG not fully seated into the receiver lugs...well....the BCG is coming back to you.

Sincerely,
Theis

Hi,

And THAT is exactly why big bore semi's are so dangerous by nature and design. Because they can "double" and when they do so with the BCG not fully seated into the receiver lugs...well....the BCG is coming back to you.

Sincerely,
Theis
I doubt that it was truly what most call a double (two fires with one trigger pull). I would bet that it had more to do with repulling the trigger because of recoil- similar to what happens on large bore pistols to some people. By design the firing pin cannot reach the primer without the bolt seated (cam prevents this. Unless, I truly misunderstand how and AR Type rifle functions). Also adding in the SSAE makes that more likely with the short and light pull.

To clarify, in my case it was a bump fire due to me not holding the rifle back firm into my shoulder. I have a lot of respect for Frank and Theis. I value their input. It would be wise to disassemble, clean, and inspect the bolt/firing pin/cam pin/bcg for function/wear after each range trip. Anything that could cause a stuck firing pin would ruin your day.

Reactions: THEIS
To clarify, in my case it was a bump fire due to me not holding the rifle back firm into my shoulder. I have a lot of respect for Frank and Theis. I value their input. It would be wise to disassemble, clean, and inspect the bolt/firing pin/cam pin/bcg for function/wear after each range trip. Anything that could cause a stuck firing pin would ruin your day.
I agree, I think Theis is knowledgeable. I am glad you clarified your "double" explanation. I make it a habit to check all of my rifles prior to each range trip and when cleaning.

That’s a very beautiful firearm you’ve thrown together there. .300 win mag is my favorite caliber, and I’d love to try out a semi-auto precision rifle some day. I hope your issues are minor and eventually disappear and you can split atoms with ease.

That’s a very beautiful firearm you’ve thrown together there. .300 win mag is my favorite caliber, and I’d love to try out a semi-auto precision rifle some day. I hope your issues are minor and eventually disappear and you can split atoms with ease.
I am excited to get out to test the accuracy

I’ve used Hornady 178 ELD match in my .300. I’ll be trying the 195 ELD match next time I head out. I might give the Federal 190 Match a try, too. I have no complaints about the 178s, but I want to be able to hit a mile, and 195 will be easier to do so. I don’t reload either, but I’m thinking about trying it out.

Reactions: RTV
IIRC @lowlight had some first hand observations and serious concerns with Noreens 338 having an out of battery round firing (a seriously bad day with a magnum round).

Not to dig up old threads or anything, but, I’m very interested in buying one. Any updates on the accuracy? Anymore issues? Anything you needed to Address further?

Reactions: P47rr