• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Norinco jw-15 as trainer now I need help

Pygmycoho1

Private
Minuteman
May 1, 2009
North texas
I found my cheap bolt action 22 to use as a trainer. Now I was wondering how to make an A5 style stock for it on the cheap. I have seen some pics of basically cutting off the stock just past the trigger guard and inserting dowels and then adding wood the size you want and then working it down. Is this the easiest way to do it since I wouldn't have to inlet the stock. Or would you just start from scratch. I"m going to paint it black so the type of wood doesn't matter. Any info would be helpful. Search turned up a lot of stuff but not much that was useful to me. Any other mods I should do to this gun? Thanks guys.

Re: Norinco jw-15 as trainer now I need help

take a good look at the action and stock inletting. Find something in an aftermarket style you want and then find an action inlet that is similar to your Norinco. Then you can do 1 of 2 choices - use wood dowels and filler to make your JW fit w/ as little work as possible OR have the new stock inletting completely filled in w/ some sort of bedding compound and have someone re-inlet it to the ID of your JW stock. If you can find someone w/ a stock duplicator, this is the easiest, most professional way to go. Looking at doing something similar w/ a Boyds Tacticool for my 77/22 here shortly....