• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Norma 260 Brass Problem - Need Help

gilk

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
I just got 200 new Norma 260 rem cases and upon measuring them I noticed they are shorter than thy should be. I measured several random cases (overall length) and got 2.018"-2.021" with the specified max overall length being 2.035". Even after trimming 0.010" they're still 0.007" or more short.

I've used 7mm mag Norma brass and didn't have this problem. Is this normal or did I get a bad batch? Has anyone else had this problem? Is it safe to load and shoot, will it cause any performance/accuracy problems?

I mean too short relative to the advertised specification of the case. I can't imagine a few thousands will hurt anything as long as it's uniform over all cases but I've never had a problem with cases being shorter than the reloading manual reports and I always just trim 0.010" shorter than that and shoot. I've never read or heard of anybody having this problem and I'm not sure if it will cause any issues - obviously there is an amount deviation from the standard case length that will cause problems with safety and accuracy I just don't know what that amount is and I want to make sure I don't have an issue with it.

And I'm just a little irritated that my brand new Norma brass is not what it's supposed to be; I tried to buy the best brass available to avoid these problems and it's exactly what I got. I'm not at all impressed the variation in neck wall thickness of Norma brass either. I expected better for the money.

OK. So they're not too short.

I'm not at all impressed the variation in neck wall thickness of Norma brass either. I expected better for the money.
What is the neck wall thickness variation?

I've measured 0.0115"-0.0135" in just a couple cases on the RCBS casemaster. I know it's not super accurate but 0.002" in one case sucks.

They are all defective. You should send them to me for examination and proper disposal.

Personally, while it may be aggregating, unless they show some other qualities that would make them unsuitable for use, I'd trim to a uniform length and go.

I've measured 0.0115"-0.0135" in just a couple cases on the RCBS casemaster. I know it's not super accurate but 0.002" in one case sucks.
Had 200 Lapua 260 cases measure as much 0.002" wall thickness variation. Some almost perfect, most between.

OFG

They are all defective. You should send them to me for examination and proper disposal.

Personally, while it may be aggregating, unless they show some other qualities that would make them unsuitable for use, I'd trim to a uniform length and go.

Haha, what's your address I'll send them over.

Would you recommend neck turning as well?