• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Norma 6 dasher brass?

chevytruck_83

Student of the sport
Minuteman
May 3, 2013
Why does it seem like nobody likes the Norma 6 dasher brass? Seems most guys go through al the steps of hydroforming then fireforming lapua 6br. Is it that bad?

Dasher, until Norma got CIP, was a wildcat. Guys who wildcat are fucking fanatics. Once they find their personal flavor of crazy they tend to stick with it and if X doesn't fit into their box well then X is junk. That's what happened with the Norma Dasher brass. A lot of butt hurt over it not fitting in "their" chamber so they had no reason to even give it a try.

It's excellent brass, and has a long 6BR neck so you get a bit more boiler room to make up for the thicker brass. The Gen 1 brass has some thick rims, but all the gen 2 brass is excellent and should need no mods to the extractor. I have several hundred gen 1 and gen 2 and the shit shoots great with zero prep.

Dasher, until Norma got CIP, was a wildcat. Guys who wildcat are fucking fanatics. Once they find their personal flavor of crazy they tend to stick with it and if X doesn't fit into their box well then X is junk. That's what happened with the Norma Dasher brass. A lot of butt hurt over it not fitting in "their" chamber so they had no reason to even give it a try.

It's excellent brass, and has a long 6BR neck so you get a bit more boiler room to make up for the thicker brass. The Gen 1 brass has some thick rims, but all the gen 2 brass is excellent and should need no mods to the extractor. I have several hundred gen 1 and gen 2 and the shit shoots great with zero prep.
What he ^^^^ says makes a lot of sense. You did not have to trim 50 thou to start with? If you do not have the Norma reamer, I think you need to trim first.
Norma brass has always been top shelf for out of the box brass, it's longevity has always been questioned though.
To the op, the majority of it has to do with when has Lapua brass let you down compared to other brands.

Reactions: FatBoy
I’ve only used Norma 223 brass and it worked very well. Typically I use lapua for anything I can but I will admit that’s because it’s what I read about all the time. Personally I like properly stamped brass and I don’t like the idea of wasting range time fireforming.

I have about 600 pieces of Norma Dasher brass and I've had no problems with it. I have 300 of the Gen 1, thick rimmed brass and 300 of the second generation, I think they called it "F-Class" or something. Part of the problem was guys were hot-rodding the little cartridge because the Lapua brass could withstand the pressure. Guys were running 3000+ fps and complaining when the Norma brass was only getting 2950. You do need a different reamer than the Lapua reamer because the Norma neck is 0.050" longer. There's really nothing wrong with Norma's brass as long as you don't expect it to give you warp speed numbers.

Been shooting my gen 1 Norma brass I bought from a member here. Some of which was hammerd with a stiff charge of xbr,, and looked all beat up and swollen at the .200 line. after tuning it back up in my harrels die and smashed it Back to spec, it's been fired 5 more times with either 31.5gr varget or 30.6gr 4895 under 105hybrid. Haven't lost a primer yet" like all still need good amount of preasure to seat cci mag primers" Shoots .5 moa all day. I think ppl just wanted to not have to season it for one firing and expected it to take full house loads of x powder and x 105/115 projectile at 3kfps. It was annoying to need a thick rim shell holder for press and primer though.

I use Norma brass and my gun Smith just uses a regular dasher reamer. He then uses a throating tool to get the extra 0.050 in neck length.

FYI: My Wilson Dasher Micrometer seating die was not cut for the longer Norma dasher brass and I would imagine most / all are not.
This is easily fixed with a Letter I drill (.272) run into the neck to lengthen it .060".

FYI: My Wilson Dasher Micrometer seating die was not cut for the longer Norma dasher brass and I would imagine most / all are not.
This is easily fixed with a Letter I drill (.272) run into the neck to lengthen it .060".
I use a 6xc die for seating