• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Norma golden target

Face

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2018
I have read several places that the norma golden target was the bullet in prime 130 ammo. If this is true why do I not see more people reloading these?

I too would be interested in any input on these. Moreland are you meaning .264 130gr golden bullets? I picked up some for a Bergara HMR in 6.5 creedmoor.

I just picked up 1k from mid south. From what I understand, PVA designed their Creedmoor reamer around the Prime load. I have a barrel from them so I’m going to start at the same base to ogive length as the Prime and go from there.

Reactions: MarinePMI
I have loaded them and they shot great but they were hard to find, of course this was when finding H4350 was like winning the lottery. I have switched to the 130 RDF and bought enough to shoot a barrel out

Yes, it was like a year when they weren't available at all from Midsouth and no H4350 to push them. IIRC, that's when all the alternate loads with 140s and RL16/17 came about.

I have a bunch and have loaded them in Prime brass to Prime velocity. In truth, I prefer the Hornady 140 ELD-M for field matches in Hornady brass.

RMD

Reactions: Face
I have read several places that the norma golden target was the bullet in prime 130 ammo. If this is true why do I not see more people reloading these?
They are an extremely good bullet, I used to run up to a .595 G1 bc depending on velocity. 8-9 yrs ago when Midway stocked them they were easier to come by. It is hit and miss as to whether you can find them today, I never even knew Mid South stocked them. Graf & Sons was the most reliable, if you can call it that.
With Prime using the bullet, I cannot see it getting any better. If your use is a Creedmoor or 260, no reason to use a 130gr bullet, there is enough case cap to push 140's, in the 6.5x47, I always thought it was the perfect match.

As others have said, yes the Golden Target is the bullet Prime uses, but the issue has always been their availability. When Prime first came onto the scene, I tried to replicate their load because it shot really well in my rifle, but Midway was the only place that I could find that carried them and they were constantly backordered for months at a time. Even when I used the "Notify me when these are back in stock", their supply was limited and they'd sell out almost immediately. It just wasn't worth the hassle when the AMAX shot just as well and was available everywhere. Now I pretty much use the 140 ELDM exclusively because I can buy a thousand or more from just about anywhere.

I too would be interested in any input on these. Moreland are you meaning .264 130gr golden bullets? I picked up some for a Bergara HMR in 6.5 creedmoor.
Yes that is the bullet I was talking about. I had my local reloading store look them up. They said that the bullet was discontinued. What ever that means. I assume that's why they are hard to find.

I have loaded them and they shot great but they were hard to find, of course this was when finding H4350 was like winning the lottery. I have switched to the 130 RDF and bought enough to shoot a barrel out
How have the 130 rdf bullets been? Are they as finicky as people say?

Yes that is the bullet I was talking about. I had my local reloading store look them up. They said that the bullet was discontinued. What ever that means. I assume that's why they are hard to find.

I’m assuming they meant they are discontinuing carrying them. From what I’ve read these are pretty popular in Europe.

One thing to remember is that RUAG is the parent company for Norma, and I believe Prime as well, so it's possible the 130 GT isn't being shipped overseas to dealers anymore, but Prime would have no problem obtaining them.

How have the 130 rdf bullets been? Are they as finicky as people say?
They were with the H4350 but when I switched to Varget it was like I found the magic powder, I shoot a 6.5 Super LR and use Peterson SRP 260 brass and running 40.8 gr gives me 2920 out of a 22” barrel with 3.8 sd. For some reason H4350 just did not work and I had a pound or 40 of Varget so I tried it and it worked

Hmmm...I wonder if 2000MR would work with the 130's, since it seems to be comparable to Varget in some cases (like .223 with heavies, or .308 with medium weighted bullets)?

I bought a pound and loaded up 5 different loads starting at 39.0 going up in .2 and at 40gr the load was only running 2730 but I am sure it would work but you are going to have to go a lot higher and the Varget works so I just quit

Thanks for the info! I was looking for something that doesn't have to be weighed (just run through a Harrrell's) and meters well. Hence the interest in 2000MR. Life is busy, so if I can speed up reloading, then I can spend more time shooting and less at the bench.

I think it will work and it meters like a wet dream hopefully you can find a load, I just got a Dillon 550 so I am in the same boat but i think i will just set it up for 5.56 and see if i can find the bullet that Hornady loads in thier SBR load.

Reactions: MarinePMI
For the price they were selling for, they were ok but not nearly as accurate as 130 AR Hybrids or 130 ELD-M. I have 1600 or so sitting here and just did load development in my 22" Kreiger 6.5cm AR to use them up. With 41.6gr H4350 they are shooting 5 shot groups right at 0.5" at 100yds. They are a solid bullet on the cheap but they arent equal to a Berger in my testing in both 6.5cm and 6.5x47L. Best bang for the buck bullet though but finding them anymore isnt that easy. They used to be on sale for cheap the past year or two.

I gave my 130 RDF's away after buying 500 shortly after release. They shot like straight shit after trying numerous powders and an extensive seating depth test testing from jammed all the way out to 0.1" off. Best 5 shot group I got was 0.684 after TONS of work. My time and components arent worth the time messing with a bullet that takes that much effort to shoot mediocre at best.

I shot them for a while. Found an acceptable 3/4" load and once that barrel was toast I tried them in the new barrel and couldn't find anything I would consider accurate. FWIW I've never had that issue with the Berger 130 Hybrids. I think the Norma's are just a bit picky. I sold the few thousand I had remaining to a friend who was able to get them to shoot well. It's a shame too because they are the most BC for the $$$ in a 6.5.

130 Norma GT has been my match bullet last 2 years. Ive not had great trouble finding them - maybe because ive been picking up partial boxes from guys having trouble finding a good load? I my particular 260 they run great and the load has been very stable - no adjustments so far, and prints 3/8 inch, frequently much better. I cant shoot groups well.
Padom - you can send those my way if your barrel doesnt like ‘em.

130 Norma GT has been my match bullet last 2 years. Ive not had great trouble finding them - maybe because ive been picking up partial boxes from guys having trouble finding a good load? I my particular 260 they run great and the load has been very stable - no adjustments so far, and prints 3/8 inch, frequently much better. I cant shoot groups well.
Padom - you can send those my way if your barrel doesnt like ‘em.

How far off the lands are you loading them, Sir?

On this side of the pond, Norma GT is, as it allready has been mentioned, very popular and there are several reasons for that:
1: The seating depth is not critical, in fact they are very tolerant and still accurate.
2: Price is reasonable
3: They are allways in stock.

In my .260 Rem are they loaded to 2900 fps and are going steady to 1200 meters and this particular load, are a duplicate of the Norma Fält Elite 6,5x55, just without the nasty coating from the Diamond line projectile.

Here are an example of how it can perform in a cold bore shot:

Attachments

• Nicklas cold bore.png
    Nicklas cold bore.png
    369.7 KB · Views: 98
Reactions: FishDr
.015 was where I started and never had to go elsewhere. My rifle has a somewhat short throat. OAL is 2.795

Excellent. Thank you very much. I'm changing barrels soon and going to be getting more precise with my reloading. Been using Prime factory ammo for years and gonna be loading the 130g pills.

@Bemoni - I’ve not shot it to a mile but believe this load in my 260 it would do it fine. I have shot it well past 1200 meters and it was excellent.
Excellent. Thank you very much. I'm changing barrels soon and going to be getting more precise with my reloading. Been using Prime factory ammo for years and gonna be loading the 130g pills.
My load is similar but not exactly the same as Prime. My load runs about 2925 in my 24” Bartlein, Lapua brass. Prime is a tick slower.

Reactions: clcustom1911
@Bemoni - I’ve not shot it to a mile but believe this load in my 260 it would do it fine. I have shot it well past 1200 meters and it was excellent.

My load is similar but not exactly the same as Prime. My load runs about 2925 in my 24” Bartlein, Lapua brass. Prime is a tick slower.

I'm doing 6.5 Creed. I'm gonna experiment with RE-17 to see if I can push velocities up to about 2950 sans pressure signs.

Reactions: FishDr
Anybody have a cross section cut out pic of a norma GT? wanting to see the jacket thickness.