• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Norma Recall of 147 grain 308

Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2019
NC
Did anyone else get an email from Norma about certain lots of 147 grain 308 ammo being recalled? I haven't seen it discussed anywhere yet, so I will attach a screenshot.

I have at leat 500 rounds from one of the recall lots, so I will be able to let everyone know how well they actually handle the process.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220916-122530_Proton Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220916-122530_Proton Mail.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 242
I received the notice as well. I’m sitting on half a case. In one 20rd magazine I had 3 bullets fall out of the case after manually clearing a chambered cartridge. Load mag, chamber cartridge, run charging handle - case, powder and projectile fly out of ejection port.
I’ve only glanced at one box, it’s one of the recalled lot numbers.
I’ll check the rest tonight, and start the process per Norma’s instructions.

I have 2 boxes I ordered to try in my different .308 gas guns. I also picked up several boxes of their 69gr & 77gr .223 to try in my 3gun rifles. In the first box of 20 69gr rounds I have had 2 bullets drop back into the case upon chambering. I plan to contact them on Monday. The 77gr stuff turned in SD of 7fps on the 10 rounds I fired. I don’t have a ton of experience chronographing ammo, but that is a really small SD in my limited experience.

I could only find 500 rounds of this ammo. All of the rest I bought from Norma apparently was the 150 grain fmj.

I filled out the form that asks how many boxes and if it is still in the original packaging. I got a message on the screen saying they will be in touch, so I guess it is just a waiting game now.

I've got 980 rounds of the recalled ammo. What a shame, because the first 20 rounds shot so well. Sub-MOA 147 grain ball ammo!!!

Norma sent a shipping label but not the federally required ORM-D label. I informed Norma of the oversight and they were kind enough to send me an empty box with the required label on it.

Now my only issue is I have to carry the box of defective ammo 85 miles to a FedEx station.

I'm tempted to keep it all, anyway, because it shoots so well.

Norma sent me an email yday asking if I still had the original cardboard box from the shipment. They haven't said anything since I told them I did.

Ive got like 8 boxes of these. Unfortunately I've got like 10 mags full and no box for those. Ill unload the mags and run them through a factory crimp die. This stuff really shoots well out of my SCAR. I didnt get the email.

Last edited:
Ive got like 8 boxes of these. Unfortunately I've got like 10 mags full and no box for those. Ill upload the mags and run them through a factory crimp die. This stuff really shoots well out of my SCAR. I didnt get the email.
That seems to be the big shame of it. Tons of reviews saying Norma 308 fmj is super accurate for a way lower price than anything as accurate. I wonder what exactly happened to screw things up? I think the 150 gr fmj were made in Sweden but this 147 gr are marked made in Germany.

Did you buy from Norma's website or another?

Reactions: thedude824
That seems to be the big shame of it. Tons of reviews saying Norma 308 fmj is super accurate for a way lower price than anything as accurate. I wonder what exactly happened to screw things up? I think the 150 gr fmj were made in Sweden but this 147 gr are marked made in Germany.

Did you buy from Norma's website or another?
It was a different site. I dont recall the name. I think it was $0.64 a round? It shot extremely well out of my SCAR and my buddies Sig Cross (I think thats what it was). In fact it shot so well that he said he wasn't going to bother with match grade ammo. I need to go back and see how it shoots after crimping the rounds.

So my 147gr went back for the recall. The 69gr .223 I mentioned with 2 bulllet set backs in the fist 15 rounds is going back too. They just mailed me a “shipping kit”. I actually had 2 different lots numbers but they wanted all of it. The lot with the rounds setting back was 46VQ.

They still haven't said anything else since asking if I still had the original box. Hopefully they are mailing me a return label.

My return labels came via email. Then, for the .223, I got an email advising they had sent me a return shipping “kit”. I did resend my email about the .223 requesting a status update on my return after silence for a week.

As an update, I had to email a few times to ask what the status was. I received a response with FedEx prepaid labels and that i would receive a refund. I shipped the ammo back, but then Norma stated they would be sending me 308 replacement ammo instead of a refund.

Not sure why they changed their mind in just a couple weeks, but they did. Now I am just waiting for them to ship the replacement ammo.

As an update, I had to email a few times to ask what the status was. I received a response with FedEx prepaid labels and that i would receive a refund. I shipped the ammo back, but then Norma stated they would be sending me 308 replacement ammo instead of a refund.

Not sure why they changed their mind in just a couple weeks, but they did. Now I am just waiting for them to ship the replacement ammo.
Shipping product is easier on the balance sheet than sending a refund…

Shipping product is easier on the balance sheet than sending a refund…
Very true! I just thought it was strange how they changed their response from a refund to ammo replacement in a couple weeks. I am fine with the ammo replacement as long as it doesn't have any qc issues. I guess we will see how that goes!

Very true! I just thought it was strange how they changed their response from a refund to ammo replacement in a couple weeks. I am fine with the ammo replacement as long as it doesn't have any qc issues. I guess we will see how that goes!
What follows is a dramatization of actual events (maybe).

“Hey boss, we got a lot of hot ammo. What should we do?”

“Nothing, it’s probably already shot up with no issues.”

“Hey boss. Remember that lot of hot ammo? Well we’re starting to see ‘issues.’ What now?”

“Admit nothing. Deny everything. Make counter accusations.”

“Umm, boss?”

“Yeah, I know… let’s issue a voluntary recall. Most has been shot up by now, right? I mean, it’s ammo; a consumable. Maybe, offer a refund. It’s probably just a few boxes by now.”

“Boss? That’s a LOT of refunds.”

“Fuck. We can’t refund that! Just send more ammo and hope it’s good.”

“Maybe if it weren’t so expensive, people would shoot it instead of hoarding it…?”

“No. It’s obvious that the ammo is too inexpensive. People can afford too much of it. Raise prices 20%!”

Their explanation to me was that most customers stated they preferred replacement ammo to a refund, as the price per round was so good.

Reactions: rpoL98
Makes sense! I agree on preferring ammo with as expensive as it is these days. Let's just hope there are no more qc issues!

The replacement ammo arrived today, and it appears to be high quality from a visual inspection. The whole process took a little less than three months from beginning to end. Not too bad considering how many
recalls were being done.

Reactions: rpoL98