• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Normal for the bolt to stick?

AJM45

Private
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2008
Los Angeles
I have a Remington 5-R in .308. It has about 120 rounds through it. Using new Federal GMM ammo.

When I go to pull the bolt back to eject a spent case, the bolt sticks a bit. You need to yank on it to get it out of battery. I don't know, but it feels like the resistance is about what I would expect from the case expanding in the chamber and creating an interference fit. In any event, more force is required than if it is empty, or if I am ejecting a snap cap.

Normal or not?

Thanks.

Re: Normal for the bolt to stick?

Don't know what you mean. The brass appears normal and the action and barrel appear normal, but what should I be looking for?

Flatened primers or extractor swipes on the brass is the first clues.

Is the chamber nice and dry, no grease or oil residue? Any common marks on the spent cases indicating a chamber anomaly? Does this happen with other ammo besides the GMM?

Thanks.

I don't think so. I don't remember looking closely at the primer, but I think I would have noted any unusual marks left by the extractor. I'll check that out the next time I'm at the range.

The Remington service center guy on the phone says a little stickiness from brass expansion is normal, but excessive force is not. He recommends light polishing of the chamber with 0000 steel wool wrapped around a .410 brush to make sure there are no burs, oil varnish, etc., that may be interfering with the brass on extraction. I'll examine the chamber closely on the next cleaning and contemplate whether I want to risk polishing the chamber.

Happens on the cheaper Federal hunting ammo I used to site it in as well. Not seeing any common marks on the brass, but I'm going to be keeping a very close eye on it. I'll also make sure the chamber is dry, although there is no reason it should have excessive oil. After cleaning I run a patch soaked with Break Free, and then three dry patches. Seems to get the barrel and chamber pretty dry.

How are they when you first chamber them? Slick or a little firm when chambering? How accurate is this rifle thus far?

I think you have have a new rifle that will work in nicely.

I would say just a little firm when chambering. The rifle has been pretty accurate so far. I'm by no means an expert marksman, but at 100 yards I'm getting consistent groups of about 1.5" clustered about the center of the target, and I'm having no trouble at all hitting steel consistently out to 400 yards. When I go out to 600 I'm not as consistent hitting the steel, but I hit 75% of the time, and I'm sure the misses are caused by me, not the rifle. I'm just a novice at reading windage and I'm sure my technique leaves much to be desired, notwithstanding my close reading of the helpful stickys on Snipers Hide and the Internets.

Unfortunately, I suspect that I'm not one of those lucky guys who got a .5 MOA bone stock factory 5-R, but I probably wouldn't know it if I did, since I doubt very much that I could shoot .5 MOA with an AI or anything else.

The Federal Gold Medal Match is my control ammo whenever I question whether my loads or my rifle may have a problem. It consistently groups between 1/2-.75 MOA in my rem SPS. Your rifle should be at least as accurate as mine with this ammo.

As to sticky bolt lift, I noticed it too in the same rifle and it passed in a short time. Depending on your technique and the practice time you put in, you should become very pleased to find out what your rifle is capable of.

Good luck.

I dont know if it is something common with the Rem 5R's, but I have heard others noting tight chambers in 223 and 308 5R's. Also, some cratering of primers with known moderate loads. My own 223 had some primer cratering with mid level loads. It shot lights out, and the pressure sigens were far from excessive, but I noticed it.

My 5R sticks for the first round or 2 after cleaning. I always attributed it to leaving a little solvent in the chamber. I just can't seem to get it completely dry.