• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Normal gas while shooting suppressed?

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    I adjusted the gas block 1 click at a time until it locked back on last round, then moved it 1 more click.
    I didn’t really notice it too bad while shooting, but in the video, seems to be rather gassy.
    This is my first can, so just making sure all is normal.

Reactions: bfoosh006
    What ammo were you shooting and when was the last time you cleaned your gun?

M118, brand new. First time firing it today.

A newly cleaned rifle can create lots of smoke. The cleaning solutions can burn and create lots of smoke which is most likely what we are seeing.

I couldn't tell from the video how the rifle was running but it seems ok.

Some types of ammo/powder can create excess smoke as well. Not enough info to diagnose it further.

If there was good reliable function then just shoot it and it should clear up.

Reactions: nikonNUT
    A newly cleaned rifle can create lots of smoke. The cleaning solutions can burn and create lots of smoke which is most likely what we are seeing.

I couldn't tell from the video how the rifle was running but it seems ok.

Some types of ammo/powder can create excess smoke as well. Not enough info to diagnose it further.

If there was good reliable function then just shoot it and it should clear up.
    I’m wondering if it’s just being a new build and the oils/lube.
    My tikka ctr seemed to throw a bit of gas out the end too, it was also new/unfired until today.
    Not sure if temp has anything to do with it but it was about 38 degrees

My tikka ctr seemed to throw a bit of gas out the end too, it was also new/unfired until today.
    I would venture to say it's 99% the new gun/gun cleaning/whatever crap they put on new guns burning off.

Not sure if temp has anything to do with it but it was about 38 degrees

I thnk it is the lube. I have an AR-10 and I will run a few drops down the gas tube and stand it on the muzzel so that it will drain out. Keeps the adjustable gas block from carbon lock. I would say that 99% runs out but what's left is pretty epic when I fire the first shot after. Looks like I was shooting a freakin' muzzel loader! :LOL:

Reactions: Jmccracken1214
    I’m running the aero adjustable gas block, wonder if I went to one like the superlative arms with bleed off, if it’d help a little.

I’ll fire some more rounds down it soon to see if it’s the same. Only ran about 12 rounds through it today to zero/ verify function.

I’m running the aero adjustable gas block, wonder if I went to one like the superlative arms with bleed off, if it’d help a little.

I’ll fire some more rounds down it soon to see if it’s the same. Only ran about 12 rounds through it today to zero/ verify function.
    There are people that think this would matter, but I'm not one of them.

As a case and point watch your first video above. That gas is primarily coming straight back down the bore.

What adjustable gas blocks do is (more than anything) regulate the gas flow down the gas tube. This directly influences how much gas actuates the bolt carrier group.

How these different blocks accomplish that goal is often totally different.

Even then with an adjustable gas block you might need on some rifles more weight in your buffer or a heavier spring to make the bolt slow down a bit.

An adjustable gas block though is not intended to prevent gas from flowing back down the bore of the gun.

If you shoot a round down a barrel the ONLY thing preventing the gas from going out both ends is a physical obstruction, which is the brass and bolt. With a semi auto though both ends of things get uncorked at various times, this leading to expanding gas blowing out of the ejection port.

I adjusted the gas block 1 click at a time until it locked back on last round, then moved it 1 more click.
    I didn’t really notice it too bad while shooting, but in the video, seems to be rather gassy.
    This is my first can, so just making sure all is normal.

I would say normal. And fairly dependent on how much back pressure your suppressor is making.

As mentioned, you might try a heavier buffer weight.

Interesting to see the excess gas even filling your magazine that was lying on the table in the first video.

Also, interesting in the second video, it sure is obvious the differences between the to systems.

Thanks for sharing the videos.

The arms spec is 5.7oz, which is basically a h3.
    I’m not sure going to a h4 would change anything. I feel like I shouldn’t have to go to a h4.

Normal - First one green circle highlights the vast majority of gas coming out of your BCG vent holes.
    1644250118542.png

Normal - Orange circle highlights gas coming out of your upper receiver clover leaf where the gas tube goes through. The gas key/gas tube doesn't create an air tight seal.
    1644250252761.png

Normal - Red circle, you'll see this especially with new builds and the carbon/fouling hasn't had a chance to create a tighter seal around your gas block and gas block journal on your barrel. This gas volume slowly reduces the more rounds that get fired. It could take anywhere from 50-200rds depending on how "dirty" your ammo is. During this time, remember to readjust gas block settings as you'll see your ejection pattern start shifting forward even when the rifle is cold. If you run a bleed off gas block, the red circle will have more gas shooting out from this area.

1644250346374.png

Ejection pattern - This could be camera angle, however, it appears to me your ejection pattern is starting to shift forward closer to 2 o'clock as everything starts to seal up. Reduce AGB by a click or 2. You are likely over gassed rather than optimally gassed.
    1644250878015.png

Final - Yellow circle - note how initial exhaust of gas is not at charging handle and into your eye. Most gas escaping out the ejection port. Residual gas coming through the charging handle as the BCG travels farther rearward also normal.
    1644250737029.png

1644251225576.png

Normal - First one green circle highlights the vast majority of gas coming out of your BCG vent holes.
    View attachment 7802665

Normal - Orange circle highlights gas coming out of your upper receiver clover leaf where the gas tube goes through. The gas key/gas tube doesn't create an air tight seal.
    View attachment 7802667

Normal - Red circle, you'll see this especially with new builds and the carbon/fouling hasn't had a chance to create a tighter seal around your gas block and gas block journal on your barrel. This gas volume slowly reduces the more rounds that get fired. It could take anywhere from 50-200rds depending on how "dirty" your ammo is. During this time, remember to readjust gas block settings as you'll see your ejection pattern start shifting forward even when the rifle is cold. If you run a bleed off gas block, the red circle will have more gas shooting out from this area.

View attachment 7802673
    Ejection pattern - This could be camera angle, however, it appears to me your ejection pattern is starting to shift forward closer to 2 o'clock as everything starts to seal up. Reduce AGB by a click or 2.
    View attachment 7802679

Final - Yellow circle - note how initial exhaust of gas is not at charging handle and into your eye. Most gas escaping out the ejection port. Residual gas coming through the charging handle as the BCG travels farther rearward also normal.
    View attachment 7802677
    View attachment 7802681
    Thanks for that. And you’re correct on the ejection, the first few were dead on 3’, and I had a few towards the end shift 1.5-2’ a little.
    And I didn’t notice any gas in my face at all, and looking through the scope, didn’t notice what you see in the video.
    That’s why when I saw the video, I was a little surprised and recorded the bolt gun to compare

Thanks for that. And you’re correct on the ejection, the first few were dead on 3’, and I had a few towards the end shift 1.5-2’ a little.

If that's the case you might want to experiment with a heavier buffer or buffer spring (if that's an option).