• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Normal wear or not?

eod_tek

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2019
While wiping down and going through my newest rifle today I noticed some things that I thought may be abnormal wear on the action and bolt. I compared it to all of my factory rifles with significantly more rounds through them and none of them have the same scratches, marring, wear. Most notably on the inside of the action where the bolt lever rests is scratched up, on the centerline of the action adjacent to it has a chunk out of the coating, and I'm just concerned about it.

This is my first custom rifle and I was a bit dismayed at how much smoother my Tikka factory actions were and how much less the would bind when cycling the bolt.

For context the rifle is chambered in 300 Norma, it is a lone peak razor action. The rifle was built in May/June, It has 80 rounds of federal premium ammo through it and has been used entirely on the range with a relatively slow rate of fire.

any insight would be awesome, hopefully I'm just overly worried because it's my first custom build

Attachments

• 20220102_164823.jpg
    20220102_164823.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 261
  • 20220102_164914.jpg
    20220102_164914.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 258
  • 20220102_164908.jpg
    20220102_164908.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 263
OMG!!

I can not believe you still have that in your possession. It is totally worn our and useless.

Being a nice guy and kind soul it would be my duty and pleasure to take it off your hands post haste. Send it to me by UPS and we are all good.

OK, that was uncalled for on my part so on a serious note have a competent gunsmith check the spec. on your action. It could be that the scratches are from a burr or grit left in the action, or on the bolt after the machining process but that seems unlikely. I have seen some M1A1 rifles at Camp Perry after 'Rattle Battle' during dusty conditions that looked something like that but in a bolt action rifle it would seem to be an anomaly.

While wiping down and going through my newest rifle today I noticed some things that I thought may be abnormal wear on the action and bolt. I compared it to all of my factory rifles with significantly more rounds through them and none of them have the same scratches, marring, wear. Most notably on the inside of the action where the bolt lever rests is scratched up, on the centerline of the action adjacent to it has a chunk out of the coating, and I'm just concerned about it.

This is my first custom rifle and I was a bit dismayed at how much smoother my Tikka factory actions were and how much less the would bind when cycling the bolt.

For context the rifle is chambered in 300 Norma, it is a lone peak razor action. The rifle was built in May/June, It has 80 rounds of federal premium ammo through it and has been used entirely on the range with a relatively slow rate of fire.

any insight would be awesome, hopefully I'm just overly worried because it's my first custom build
Not a big deal, or necessarily abnormal. These are tools and wear marks are apart of owning tools, no matter how expensive or custom. That said, the reasons you listed are why Tikka is the best deal going in the precision rifle world. Some guys will disagree, and that’s fine. For my uses, including hunting in extreme cold, I’m aware of very few better choices than a Tikka for a rock solid, reliable, and ultra smooth action. They could be priced at $2k and still be viable, particularly in extreme cold climates.

OMG!!

I can not believe you still have that in your possession. It is totally worn our and useless.

Being a nice guy and kind soul it would be my duty and pleasure to take it off your hands post haste. Send it to me by UPS and we are all good.

OK, that was uncalled for on my part so on a serious note have a competent gunsmith check the spec. on your action. It could be that the scratches are from a burr or grit left in the action, or on the bolt after the machining process but that seems unlikely. I have seen some M1A1 rifles at Camp Perry after 'Rattle Battle' during dusty conditions that looked something like that but in a bolt action rifle it would seem to be an anomaly.
😂 Well played!
Normally it wouldn't concern me as much, especially if it were consistent and rearward in motion, but the abrupt nature of it and only being at the end of the bolt throw was my concern.
I'll definitely have it looked at by a gunsmith soon, if theres a burr I'd rather catch it sooner than later.

If you want your rifles in pristine shape stay in mom’s basement.
🤦It's not that I want it pristine, but rifles generally wear in a pattern, you know, along an axis of travel. If it were streaked wear I wouldn't pay any mind to it. It's an abrupt change at the end of bolt travel, which I was concerned about being indicative of abnormal.
Thank you for your constructive inputs though!

eod.mickelson

It sounds like you are referring to the wear as seen in the second photo, correct? If so is it enough of a difference that when you run your fingernail along the axis of the bolt and it comes to that line of delineation it catches your fingernail? Even if that is the case, more than likely it is normal break in wear.

Appearing to be at the rear of the bolt that would be where the circumference of the bolt would come in contact with the rear of the action. On the upward swing of the bolt the act of opening it would put torsional force more so on the top of the bolt. On the downward swing the force would be on the bottom hence you might see corresponding wear patterns about the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position give or take about a 1/2 hour.

When my 40-XC in 7.62 NATO arrived (that was a long time ago) the bolt had a beautiful engine turned pattern on it and was somewhat saddened to see it wear away, though not completely the more I shoot it. Of interest is I see a similiar wear pattern like what you have in the middle photo. It is on its third barrel so at least 10,000 or closer to 11,000 rounds have gone through it. That would mean the bolt has been rotated at least that many times not to mention dry firing too many times to remember. Oh.... and yes I do have spare firing pins and springs.

Be patient with your new acquisition and don't let anybody talk you out of it, especially me.

To me, and my opinion is worth what you paid for it, it appears the bolt stop is deforming prematurely and that peening is dragging on the bolt as cycled. It's hard to tell, but does that streak line up with the bolt release/bolt stop?

eod.mickelson

It sounds like you are referring to the wear as seen in the second photo, correct? If so is it enough of a difference that when you run your fingernail along the axis of the bolt and it comes to that line of delineation it catches your fingernail? Even if that is the case, more than likely it is normal break in wear.

Appearing to be at the rear of the bolt that would be where the circumference of the bolt would come in contact with the rear of the action. On the upward swing of the bolt the act of opening it would put torsional force more so on the top of the bolt. On the downward swing the force would be on the bottom hence you might see corresponding wear patterns about the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock position give or take about a 1/2 hour.

When my 40-XC in 7.62 NATO arrived (that was a long time ago) the bolt had a beautiful engine turned pattern on it and was somewhat saddened to see it wear away, though not completely the more I shoot it. Of interest is I see a similiar wear pattern like what you have in the middle photo. It is on its third barrel so at least 10,000 or closer to 11,000 rounds have gone through it. That would mean the bolt has been rotated at least that many times not to mention dry firing too many times to remember. Oh.... and yes I do have spare firing pins and springs.

Be patient with your new acquisition and don't let anybody talk you out of it, especially me.
I'm mostly referring to the abrupt wear at the end of the action in photo 1, but posted photos of the bolt Incase someone could see something I couldnt. I ran my finger on the bolt and the action and I can feel where the spot is on the action but no abnormalities on the bolt. I'm guessing it's just from the bolt hitting the end of travel, and wearing down/off the nitriding/cerekoted off?
I'm definitely not Hocking it on the classifieds get, although this build had seemed somewhat cursed so far 😬

To me, and my opinion is worth what you paid for it, it appears the bolt stop is deforming prematurely and that peening is dragging on the bolt as cycled. It's hard to tell, but does that streak line up with the bolt release/bolt stop?
It does like up with the bolt release stop and the end of travel of the bolt. Maybe it's just wearing because the bolt comes to an abrupt stop there?

I would say the scratches infront of the bolt stop in the action are from the bolt rocking as it comes to a stop and then again when it starts forward. Keep a eye on it, check the bolt for grit or sharp edges right there and proceed.