• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

North Carolina bound!

splean

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2007
On the Western Front
Gentlemen,

I will be working in North Carolina for about six months starting in mid March. We will be based in Charlotte. I have never been to the South before and I was hoping some resident members would chime in with the dos, don'ts and must sees. I will have a couple of three-day weekends during my stay so I can take short trips in the area. I am looking into the logistics of bringing my rifle so I can have some range time. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Re: North Carolina bound!

Get ready to drown in the humidity of a southern summer, don't bad mouth rednecks, and don't drive like you had to be there yesterday.

Make sure you hit up Ashville on a weekday if possible to avoid the crowds. The Biltmore Estate is incredible and is a must see. Many magnificent National Forests in the area too within a couple hours drive, and if you're a fisherman you'll be in love with that area.

That's great, thanks for the information. We will be working in Ashville for a portion of the project so I'm sure I'll get to see a lot of the town. I took up fishing recently so I will be sure to read through the NC fish and game web site. The Biltmore looks incredible, I'll be sure to visit. I'll be sure to drive safely and be respectful. As far as the humidity, I guess I just have to grin and bear it. Thanks again.

NC is a great IDPA state if you like shooting pistol. There's comps just about every weekend if you don't mind driving an hour or two to compete. Great shooting community to be involved with, so take your pistol with you.

Lake Norman and Murray in SC are really good spring fishing lakes for stripers and bass(largemouth, spotted, and white).

Mid April to mid May is turkey season.

Some NASCAR racin going on in May, but I try to get to the coast to chase yellowfin tuna and dolphin.

Some great fishing up and down NC/SC coast inshore/nearshore if you're into salt.

www.mickysbistro.com for some excellent food and wine, it's my joint.

Many long range shooting opportunities near Durham. Check the North State Shooting Club website for dates and times. That is my home range and it is said by many to be the best 1K range in the Eastern US. Feel free to pm me with any questions. My group shoots all the F-Class stuff and some NMC stuff. Enjoy NC! AG

I really do appreciate the info. Things to see, places to dine, trails to hike, lakes to fish AND a place to shoot! The SH always delivers. I swear this place is better than google!
wink.gif

About an 1 1/2 north is the Blue Ridge Mountains in NW North Carolina-SW Virginia. Beauitful place to visit and drive the Parkway through the mountains. I may be a little biased since its my backyard.

This is all very good information guys. I have no problem with driving a few hours to see some sights. I'm used to spending hours in traffic. I'm starting to get excited about the trip. Thanks!