• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up North Dakota Shooters?

FrankinND

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2019
I live In Valley City and thinking about getting into long range shooting again. Been told there is a club range by Bismark that goes to 1000 yd. looking to see if any other shooters in the area .

The website is currently down for some reason, but this might be a good place to ask.

ND Precision Rifle.

I'm North of you some distance, Our local range goes to 300, when it's dry.

How far North are you. We have a local one her in Valley I think does 300 yards. Really nice facility , covered and private

I'm near Fargo. Local range only goes to ~225 yards, which is incredibly boring.
Fargo sucks. That is all.

LOL...Boys, we're in ND. You can line up just about any square mile you want and range out to your comfort level. :)
Exactly. West Fargo here, my "local range" is a ditch on a dirt road. Goes out to 1200 and it's only closed when a farmer is in the field on either side.

If you're interested, check out the North Dakota Precision Rifle Shooters FB group for information on matches being held in McVille, Williston, Rush Lake MN, etc.

Reactions: Central Line
Exactly. West Fargo here, my "local range" is a ditch on a dirt road. Goes out to 1200 and it's only closed when a farmer is in the field on either side.

If you're interested, check out the North Dakota Precision Rifle Shooters FB group for information on matches being held in McVille, Williston, Rush Lake MN, etc.

Hoping they get their website up and running soon. I would love to check em out and start playing around a bit. Check out some matches and maybe stick my barrel in there at some point.

I live in Fargo now, can’t wait to move out of the city.

I bought my own AR500 gongs and a range finder...I setup on a dirt road and shoot out of my pickup box. So far 1,000 yards is as far as I’ve shot. Most days the mirage is kicking my ass well before that distance anyways

My advice is do something similar. There’s plenty of minimum maintenance roads around, and out by Valley I’m sure you could find a spot where you actually have a true backstop. That’s my biggest complaint, if I miss the target most of the time I have no clue where I’m missing at, the heavy clay soil and all the moisture we get does a pretty good job at having zero “splash” most of the time

Well I’ve found out there is a range a farmer let’s you shoot on that’s out to 1000 and marker I believe every 100 yards. A really nice set up I’ve been told.

I bought my own AR500 gongs and a range finder...I setup on a dirt road and shoot out of my pickup box. So far 1,000 yards is as far as I’ve shot. Most days the mirage is kicking my ass well before that distance anyways

My advice is do something similar. There’s plenty of minimum maintenance roads around, and out by Valley I’m sure you could find a spot where you actually have a true backstop. That’s my biggest complaint, if I miss the target most of the time I have no clue where I’m missing at, the heavy clay soil and all the moisture we get does a pretty good job at having zero “splash” most of the time
When I lived in Northern Nevada I had a nice area by the river with a back stop out to 926 yards. Those were the good ole days of shooting. Seems like here in ND there is always some one out in a tractor somewhere and I wouldn’t feel comfortable not knowing where my bullets are landing without a backstop .

I live in Jamestown but tend to either head to Fargo offer bismark on the weekends. Anyone looking for another shooting buddy feel free to hit me up

I live in Jamestown but tend to either head to Fargo offer bismark on the weekends. Anyone looking for another shooting buddy feel free to hit me up

Is there any actual ranges for “long range” near Jamestown? Just curious, potentially moving out that way for work in a few months

Well I’ve found out there is a range a farmer let’s you shoot on that’s out to 1000 and marker I believe every 100 yards. A really nice set up I’ve been told.

Yeah I think that might be the place I've been to. If it is the same one was nice, can't remember if there was dirt backstop behind each Target or not... Been a few years.

Any of you in here compete in the PRS events in New York Mills, McVille, Minot, and Williston?

I’m interested in possibly entering those events if possible next year but I have no clue who to contact or what it takes to attend them.

Yeah I think that might be the place I've been to. If it is the same one was nice, can't remember if there was dirt backstop behind each Target or not... Been a few years.
The one your thinking of south of Valley like 10 miles?

Boy for some reason I was thinking SW of Jamestown... The guy that brought me there was making some shooting tables.

I've been kicking around getting in on the matches in ND next year. Hopefully I'll have time to do it. If any of you guys decide to jump in and do it and need another noob along shoot me a message. Also, I live in Stanley, so if anyone ever gets up here and wants to shoot message me. I've got a few acres and can get out to about 250 yards for now. gonna talk to the neighbor and see about setting up a gong out in his hay field which would get me out to about 600 or 700 yards.

Any of you in here compete in the PRS events in New York Mills, McVille, Minot, and Williston?

I’m interested in possibly entering those events if possible next year but I have no clue who to contact or what it takes to attend them.
I'm not, but considering it next summer.
I haven’t personally done any matches either but I would like some info also.
I've been kicking around getting in on the matches in ND next year. Hopefully I'll have time to do it. If any of you guys decide to jump in and do it and need another noob along shoot me a message. Also, I live in Stanley, so if anyone ever gets up here and wants to shoot message me. I've got a few acres and can get out to about 250 yards for now. gonna talk to the neighbor and see about setting up a gong out in his hay field which would get me out to about 600 or 700 yards.
Definitely check out the North Dakota Precision Rifle FB Group, the Rush Lake Range Page, and the NRL Border Wars North Central Page. These are some of the most active pages with a lot of great folks who would be happy to help you getting started. Also, you're almost guaranteed to see an announcement for any match held in the area on one of those pages.

I live In Valley City and thinking about getting into long range shooting again. Been told there is a club range by Bismark that goes to 1000 yd. looking to see if any other shooters in the area .

From Bismarck here, I believe you are talking about the Moffit range operated by Bismarck Mandan Rifle and Pistol Association. https://www.bmrpa.org/

I was a member of this range for a year. It is very very nice but it just didn't work for me. The reason I am not a member anymore is because of the range layout. The main firing line has steel silhouette targets out to 500 meters. The 1,000 yard range is for paper targets only and the firing line is set up behind the main firing line. So if you want to shoot 600-1000 yards the main firing line needs to be shut down or you'll be lobbing bullets over someones head. It was more times than not that I wanted to shoot 600-1,000 yards but someone was on the main firing line so I was unable to. If this doesn't bother you I highly recommend this range.

I'm up by grand forks. Ive shot at the moffit range se of Bismarck For glass back when I lived there 15 or so years ago, went out to 1k. Before that I was in Jamestown for a few years. Pick a place and go have fun. Ive also lived in Fargo while in college 20years ago and shot at the cassleton range a lot.

Ive shot matches at rush lake and I helped set up one of the matches at mcville but was unable to shoot it due to other conflicts.

There are lots of places to shoot here if you know landowners and can get on a spot.

Ive got a few ranges that have steel set up all the time. Ones out to 600, another out to 900 in 300yd increments, one out to 1100yds, another one behind my house out to 1550yds and ive got another spot that I can shoot from 0 to 2 miles if I want.

Xdeano

So what distance you shoot at for rifle ?
I think the max the range south of mandan goes is 200 yards. I just found out my wife's ex husband has some land that has a range he made on it. It goes out to 800 yards and it sounds like he is gonna let us shoot there.

I thought there is a 1000 Yard range that a club has out there and they do monthly matches?

I thought there is a 1000 Yard range that a club has out there and they do monthly matches?

There is a 1k range and they do hold matches, it's just outside of Moffit, ND. Or SE of Bismarck about 35minutes or so. It's a nice range.
Range fees were $100/year when I shot there but that's been 15 years ago and things change.
xdeano

There is a 1k range and they do hold matches, it's just outside of Moffit, ND. Or SE of Bismarck about 35minutes or so. It's a nice range.
Range fees were $100/year when I shot there but that's been 15 years ago and things change.
xdeano
Yes that’s the one I heard about it was outside of Bismarck. Thanks for the help I will look up and see if they are online.

Thanks for that! Looks like they have a pretty match schedule throughout the year from pistol all the way to benchrest!

Frank, they do have a pretty decent schedule. I've shot a bunch of fclass and service rifle down there when I lived in mandan.

We also shoot down there for work every now and again.

Xdeano

Frank, they do have a pretty decent schedule. I've shot a bunch of fclass and service rifle down there when I lived in mandan.

We also shoot down there for work every now and again.

Xdeano
What about PRS type matches? Anything like that? Didn’t see that on past matches

Its been 15 years since I shot matches down there. But there are a few matches up by Williston/minot and there has also been a couple of matches by mcville this year down on a friends place, which is part of the border wars series. There are also club matches down at rush lake in MN. Check out practiscore for all the matches around the US.
Xdeano

I have been meaning to check that range out. The range south of Mandan I go to is more so for convenience sake. Plus Game and Fish generally takes really good care of it.

Just south of the Trap club in Valley City there is a gentleman there who has his own private 1000 yd range. As your shooting trap it over looks it. Don’t know who he is but it’s a beautiful range.

I just moved to Fargo as well. Can we shoot out of our truck box here? That’s pretty epic. Same for Prairoe dogs and such?

If you ever make it out to Bismarck, or if anyone is local. We will be having a monthly mini match. 4-5 stages with a mix of prone and positional, $10 entry donated to the land owner. Facebook group is called Bisman Precision Rifle Leauge. We are having one on March 2nd starting at 9:30 am. Feel free to reach out if interested or have any questions.

I would love to, but it’s pretty far for a day trip. Guess I could get a hotel or find someone to share a room with to keep costs down.

I haven’t shot PRS yet. FClass years ago, coyotes, PDogs and shot in Manitoba but I was in LA the last 12 years and barely got out shooting. Don’t have a dedicated PRS rifle yet. Just custom fast 8 & 7.5 twist HB 243’s. Have about 250 Lapua brass and reload but my rifles have no detachable mags. Other than my 338 and 7mm mag. So I would have to stuff and pull when I run out of internal Mag. :) My bigger 243 has a 5.5-22x56mm NF NXS and a big flat forestock I can stick an arca rail on for some rigging but it’s obviously not ideal.

Hopefully it would work until I play a bit and see if I like it.

P.S. thanks for the invite