• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

North Texas April Rifle Match - Leonard, TX

doubled

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2011
North Texas
The owner of the Top Gun Private Shooting Club in Leonard, TX, has agreed to let me host a long-range precision rifle tactical match on <span style="font-weight: bold">Sunday, April 15th, with a rain date scheduled for the following Sunday, April 22nd.</span>

I am still working hard to round up sponsors for the prize table; many vendors have already committed to supporting our sport, and I am still waiting on feedback from others. As I get more I will post the information here. If anyone has anything they would like to donate to the prize table, then please PM me.

In order to keep this fun and manageable, we have to limit this inaugural match to only 40 shooters. If you are interested in shooting this match, then please <span style="text-decoration: line-through">send me a PM and I will start a list in order of the PMs received</span> see the <span style="font-weight: bold">registration details</span> at the end of this post. The match is going to cost roughly $110 per person to cover the rental of the range, targets, paint, other supplies, lunch, etc.

The match will consist of almost twenty stages, subject to change as we acquire more reactive steel targets, with at least the following:

<span style="font-weight: bold">Cold Bore Shots</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Dot Drills</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Know Your Limit Drills</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Repeatability Drills</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Scope/Math/Range Estimation Drills</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Target Recognition/Shoot-No Shoot Drills</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">KD and UKD Drills</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Balloons, Golf Balls, Softballs, etc.</span>

Additional stages will be added utilizing steel silhouettes and other reactive steel targets, as well as stage props TBD (possibly barricades with ports, rooftop platforms, vehicles, and other surprises). We will incorporate safe movement, handgun shooting and transitions into a few of the match stages.

Plan on approximately 125 rifle shots and 50 pistol shots (provided you do not miss).

Tie-Breakers will be shoot-offs at 500 yards.

Shooters of all skill levels are encouraged to attend, and spectators are welcome at the range with proper eye and hearing protection.

If you are interested in shooting this match, then send me a PM and utilize the registration form below.

Thanks go out to the following gracious
<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Match Sponsors and Supporters</span></span>

- Hide member jcvibby for making sure we have two (2) of his 66% IPSC targets for the prize table, please visit his website at JC Steel Targets

- Accurate-Mag

- Hide member ToddACguy for donating a $300 Certificate toward a HVAC Super Tune up from his local company R&R Heating & Cooling; Todd will have his new Rock Solid stock on hand for shooters to see and handle

- Mike Lau from Texas Brigade Armory for donating a certificate for a DuraCoat rifle refinish

- Dewey Rods

- Mike Lucas ([email protected]) for donating a certificate for one of his custom bore guides

- David Tubb of Superior Shooting Systems, Inc. for donating a Boron Nitride bullet coating kit, a Remington bolt spring and a 6.5mm Final Finish Kit

- Massoud and Kinetic Research Group, Ltd (KRG)

- Dillon Precision

- David Whitson from Shark Precision (formerly known as Shark Suppressors)

- RayDog from Thunder Beast Arms Corporation (TBAC)

- Marty Bordson from Badger Ordnance

- Precision Matters Custom Rifles

- LaRue Tactical

- Dale Troutt from Thoroughbred Rifles in Dallas

- Freedom Munitions

- Hide member NOMAD and Impact Data Books!!!

- HD Coating & Firearms

- Lone Star Armory

- Rock River Iron Works

<span style="font-size: 17pt">Registration Information</span>

Re: North Texas April Rifle Match - Leonard, TX

That is where I normally shot so I am definitely down for this!

If you'll allow spectators I'd like to come out, watch and learn.

Beginners are encouraged... we are keeping it small (40 shooters) so it is manageable and has a good flow and everyone will have a great time.

Sounds awesome. I don't see a reason why I wouldn't be able to go.

I think you are our first out-of-state shooter. Glad you can make it.

haha well thank you! I'll try to bring another cajun with me

Here is a photo I took of the range - this gives you an idea of the layout of the range (you shoot to the north)

range.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doubled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Beginners are encouraged... we are keeping it small (40 shooters) so it is manageable and has a good flow and everyone will have a great time. </div></div>

Awesome.......PM inbound.

I'm in! Will be relocating to Dallas sometime in March.

PM Sent!

thanks guys. I got you both down. I'm still working on the prize table and initial feedback from several folks has been good... lots of them are pre-occupied with SHOT this week and have put me off until next week for more detailed conversations but interest is there to support this.

I hope beginners are welcome as I haven't been shooting that long either and i'm on the list. Watch i'll be the only girl there too I bet.

Regarding total round count, we expect shooters to need somewhere between 125 to 150 rifle rounds, pending final stage design. We are also looking to incorporate some pistol shooting into one or two of the stages, so plan on bringing a box of 50 rounds for your handgun. We hope to have all the stages designed by the end of next week.

In the future check out whom else maybe having a match on the dates in question, I would love to drive a hour for a fun day of shooting, instead I'll be at Rifles Only for the Bushnell Brawl, I'm not bashing you just trying to help fill up your match, we need more in North TEXAS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In the future check out whom else maybe having a match on the dates in question, I would love to drive a hour for a fun day of shooting, instead I'll be at Rifles Only for the Bushnell Brawl, I'm not bashing you just trying to help fill up your match, we need more in North TEXAS. </div></div>

Brian, you're the 3rd person to bring that up, and I should have looked.

They actually end that match on the 7th, so if you're not too worn out, then you can still come shoot this one on the 8th.

Doubled,
I'll will be there. Please add me to the list.
Do we pay the day of the shoot or do we need to mail payments in advance? If so, when is the deadline for the payments to be received?

I will have the payment info up after this weekend.

the prize table is starting to fill up - can't thank everyone enough for supporting this effort.

Spent some time out there today looking at what other stages we can set up. There will definitely be some pistol courses to clear ending in some positional rifle shooting at steel and other reactive targets.

You will need a sling, good footwear and a pistol w/ a holster.

I will post no later than Wednesday a link to the registration form and payment information. Paypal is going to be preferred but we will also be able to take checks if you don't have a paypal account.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: doubled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spent some time out there today looking at what other stages we can set up. There will definitely be some pistol courses to clear ending in some positional rifle shooting at steel and other reactive targets.

You will need a sling, good footwear and a pistol w/ a holster.

I will post no later than Wednesday a link to the registration form and payment information. Paypal is going to be preferred but we will also be able to take checks if you don't have a paypal account. </div></div>

Just let us know what we will need ahead of time

absolutely. I'm putting all of that together this week; required gear, recommended gear, range rules, payment info, etc... We are also working to get more steel and get the remainder of the stages developed. We will post general descriptions of them as we get them finalized. Keep an eye on this thread for the updated info.

I will definitely go to this if spectators are allowed, don't think I will have my gun ready to compete. Sounds like it should be fun. Let me know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will definitely go to this if spectators are allowed, don't think I will have my gun ready to compete. Sounds like it should be fun. Let me know. </div></div>

I'm sure that I or someone could loan you a rifle if you wanted to compete

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will definitely go to this if spectators are allowed, don't think I will have my gun ready to compete. Sounds like it should be fun. Let me know. </div></div>

I'm sure that I or someone could loan you a rifle if you wanted to compete</div></div>

Mondo,
I've got a extra 6.5x47 on a Defiance action sitting in a T5A with MK4 M5 scope that your welcome to use when the time comes if you need a rifle. It's a laser though, so if you miss, you can't blame it on the equipment!!

Sounds like Mondo needs to be added to the list....There is also more updated data on the prize table too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will definitely go to this if spectators are allowed, don't think I will have my gun ready to compete. Sounds like it should be fun. Let me know.</div></div>

I'm sure that I or someone could loan you a rifle if you wanted to compete</div></div>

Mondo,
I've got a extra 6.5x47 on a Defiance action sitting in a T5A with MK4 M5 scope that your welcome to use when the time comes if you need a rifle. It's a laser though, so if you miss, you can't blame it on the equipment!!</div></div>

In the event Mondo passes up this offer, then Melanie (shooter no. 4) may be interested because she is in the process of building up a rifle, but hers may not be ready in time for the match...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: B. Melick</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trevor300wsm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Northland</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mondo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I will definitely go to this if spectators are allowed, don't think I will have my gun ready to compete. Sounds like it should be fun. Let me know.</div></div>

Mondo,
I've got a extra 6.5x47 on a Defiance action sitting in a T5A with MK4 M5 scope that your welcome to use when the time comes if you need a rifle. It's a laser though, so if you miss, you can't blame it on the equipment!!</div></div>

In the event Mondo passes up this offer, then Melanie (shooter no. 4) may be interested because she is in the process of building up a rifle, but hers may not be ready in time for the match...</div></div>

Not a problem. I'll be glad to let someone use it.

Im in if it gets moved to the 15th....rain or shine... I even have some small IPSC reactive targets I could bring if you need more steel on the range!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HotRod308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im in if it gets moved to the 15th....rain or shine... I even have some small IPSC reactive targets I could bring if you need more steel on the range!</div></div>

those would be perfect if you'd be willing to let us use those during the match

Doubled,

The pic you posted of the range from above, which way is north? If you on the firing line looking down range at the 500yd berm, what direction are you looking?

Thanks Trevor and everyone else, let me make sure I am going to attend before I make any promises.

Since the fact that this is Easter and I didn't know it until it was mentioned, I will not be able to attend if the date stays the same. I'm afraid if I did, my address would change as my wife would be pissed beyond belief.
I'll keep an eye out to see if it changes.
Thanks

I'm excited, this will be my first comp so I guess I need to get some more crap.

Would love to come out and give it a try, but can't make it on Easter Sunday. Sounds like a good "first" match to attend.

If something changes and it is the following Sunday, April 15th, I can have 2 possibly 3 shooters.

I'll watch this post for any changes.

For future reference, if you have future shoots at this location, and I can attend, I have 7 AR500 steel targets I could bring.

1 - full IPSC
4 - 66% IPSC
1 - 8" round
1 - 10" round

Good luck with the match

AR