• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

North Texas Rifle Precision

FSRbikr98

Private
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2010
Long Island, NY
Just needed to rant on the hide a little.

Sent my deposit in for a one day class at NTRP. I'm super excited to finally get some bolt gun training in. I've done some unofficial carbine training at my firearms range, as well as pistol stuff with my firearms guys, but no one there is really into bolt guns. Infact one of the main instructors told me he hasn't even seen the "snipers range" in over 3 years. After speaking with several other people in my department, it became obvious i was going to have to look elsewhere for the long range stuff.

Very disappointing to say the least.

I am on the calendar for May 13th, and come hell, high water, or NY bureaucracy, I'll be there. Anyone else who's taken the course want to chime in with their experience at NTRP? I'd love to hear some stories.

I'll also update this post with Pictures and such after the class, in case someone wants to see what its like there.

Re: North Texas Rifle Precision

It's gonna be in the 90's in May, drink plenty of water, and plan on having fun in TEXAS!

You WILL have a good time. You will leave a changed person. And that is just from meeting CKA! I'm sure your shooting will improve too!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FSRbikr98</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Anyone else who's taken the course want to chime in with their experience at NTRP? I'd love to hear some stories. </div></div>

I made the decision to seek out formal bolt gun training last October, when I came to realize that my shooting had kind of "hit a plateau." I, too, have almost 20 years of pistol, shotgun and carbine training from my employer. No one had ever taught me anything with a bolt gun and I dedicated to myself that I needed to take the next step, if I expected to improve. I attended his PR1 & PR2 on the last weekend in January.

I reload, so I prepared 500 rounds to bring. Jay (NTRP-CKA) had told me to expect 350-500 rounds to be enough for PR1 and PR2. If you don't reload, plan on purchasing about that amount of ammo. We ended up running 400 rounds down range and I could have used more, if the "soft targets" would have complied. He suggested that I bring everything to his course that I would pack for a match. I have a list if you need tips. My biggest suggestion is to buy a good shooting mat. I brought a combo drag bag / mat, that wasn't ideal. You spend most of the course prone, so a good mat is essential.

Rest assured that Jay is a top notch instructor. After about an hour, it was as if we had played ball in high school together. He gets your mind in the correct frame to learn. No DI screaming or barking, just a confident command presence that I was impressed by. Put it to you this way, I'm going back, as soon as I get my 300 wsm rig up to speed.

Feel free to PM me, if you have any additional questions.

You'll have a good time and learn a lot; CKA is a great teacher. Also, bring sunscreen; you won't even realize it until around 5 o'clock that you got burt by the sun.

Jamie

You will have a great time, learn a lot and come away being a much more informed and better shooter. I am on the calendar for March for my 3rd time training with him. He is good to go. Search the firearms training section and you will see numerous NTRP reviews, including mine.

Also, take Cobra427's advice and drink lots of water. Oh and I recommend providing steaks for CKA to cook.

Josh will take good care of you. He has a big heart, and a smile as wide as Texas. You're gonna have a great time and learn some good stuff down there. I hope to get out to his tower shoot one of these days... Mark

Oh dude, when I saw my name followed by "I need to rant on the hide" I was thinking, "Oh shit. I have my own GAP 7 MOA thread now."

lol, Some of my training pics and videos are condensed here if you want to check it out: http://northtexasrifleprecision.freeforums.org/firearm-training-f27.html

Look forward to it, man!

Were, going to see if a One Mile Tower is doable tomorrow. If so, it will be up by the time you come down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTRP-CKA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh dude, when I saw my name followed by "I need to rant on the hide" I was thinking, "Oh shit. I have my own GAP 7 MOA thread now." </div></div>

I shot 1 moa consistently before getting training from NTRP, now I'm a 7 moa shooter. I want a refund!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jasonk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTRP-CKA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh dude, when I saw my name followed by "I need to rant on the hide" I was thinking, "Oh shit. I have my own GAP 7 MOA thread now." </div></div>

I shot 1 moa consistently before getting training from NTRP, now I'm a 7 moa shooter. I want a refund! </div></div>

I just went through all my paperwork and have no record of you attending. It's actually hard to make a 1 MOA shooter into a 7 MOA shooter. Most likely the brain is loose or the eyes are crossed. I can remedy that with a swift strike to the head with a one piece cleaning rod.

ha ha!

never taken a class from jay but hoping to one of these days lol. I did get the opportunity to shoot with him and just talking to him and watching him i learned alot, he is a stand up guy and one hell of a teacher lol.

he does need to learn to hold onto a truck better but that can be fixed haha

There was 8 of us in the back of his truck and he took off like my grandpa when he was out of cigarettes.

Yup, you'll have a good time with CKA and learn a few things too.

Worst thing for you Yankees, is the number of AR's and suppressors you'll be surrounded by and not able to take home!

It really IS better in Texas!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mikee Booshay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yup, you'll have a good time with CKA and learn a few things too.

Worst thing for you Yankees, is the number of AR's and suppressors you'll be surrounded by and not able to take home!

It really IS better in Texas! </div></div>

Don't tell them that, they'll move down here. Texas is HOT! If you move here it's the law that you drive a truck and own at least one horse. It's cheaper for you to stay up north
wink.gif

Jamie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's gonna be in the 90's in May, drink plenty of water, and plan on having fun in TEXAS! </div></div>

X2, it'll be hotter than you may expect, here in San Antonio we are already into upper 90's by then. Today we almost hit 80

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mikee Booshay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yup, you'll have a good time with CKA and learn a few things too.

As long as someone lets me shoot their rifle with a can on it, i'll die a happy yankee.

PS, my AR is very Texas friendly, not so NY friendly.

Thank you LE exemption!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beck.jamie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mikee Booshay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yup, you'll have a good time with CKA and learn a few things too.

Don't tell them that, they'll move down here. Texas is HOT! If you move here it's the law that you drive a truck and own at least one horse. It's cheaper for you to stay up north
wink.gif

Jamie </div></div>

To late, i'm already debating moving down there.

I already have a pickup, but what the fuck is a horse?

Were full.

Kansas is nice though.

Have fun at NTRP. The new towers are really nice. The setup out there just keeps getting better and better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FSRbikr98</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As long as someone lets me shoot their rifle with a can on it, i'll die a happy yankee.

</div></div>

lol this client came in from San Francisco, California. He was pretty excited to shoot a suppressed 10.5"

P1010849.jpg

Here is the next work in progress. This hopper is going to be placed at One Mile on a concrete slab poured on top of another levee. It will have a 10X20 deck built on top of it, stairs down the side, and fresh paint. By summer we will officially be a One Mile Range.

P1010802.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NTRP-CKA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
FSRbikr98 said:
By summer we will officially be a One Mile Range. </div></div>

In that case your gonna need

unknown.gif

AND

Ball-hawk-collection.jpg

FSRbikr98, Drink water and have a good barrel. CKA is the MAN. Did I mention DRINK WATER? I went through NTRP on July 1-2, 2010 and it felt like I lost 20lbs in water weight. Like Scooty Puff Sr said "You will go home a changed man." I showed up unconfident in my skills and now I drive my rifles like I have always wanted. I am ready for more range time with CKA. He has a teaching style like no other and a way of relating to every individual. After about 5 minutes I felt like he and I had spent a year chewing sand in Trashcanistan together. Now I consider him closer than a brother (I am sure he feels I am like a brother, too... the annoying one that won't stop calling.) I can't say enough good about CKA and NTRP. He is a credit to the shooting sports and the Great State of Texas.

You are lucky, with the new towers CKA has put up you will get to improve your skills on an OUTSTANDING range complex. Drink water and be ready for the time of your life!

texas_vmi
Team NTRP Shooter #26

That's because it was during our heat wave were it didn't drop bellow 100 F for 17 straight days. It won't be that bad. However, drink plenty of water; don't forget sun screen.

Jamie

Im going to have to drive out and get in a class with you CKA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Hoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn you jay now you are gonna make me drive all the way out there once that 1 mile is done lol.

</div></div>

Do it. Great investment into your progression as a shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stewart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone remember back when we used to hate CKA?</div></div>

what,????

after all i taught him.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stewart</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone remember back when we used to hate CKA? </div></div>

What do you mean used to?

It was a lot more fun back then!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FSRbikr98</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Sent my deposit in for a one day class at NTRP. I'm super excited to finally get some bolt gun training in.

I am on the calendar for May 13th, and come hell, high water, or NY bureaucracy, I'll be there. <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">Anyone else who's taken the course want to chime in with their experience at NTRP? I'd love to hear some stories</span>. </span>

I'll also update this post with Pictures and such after the class, in case someone wants to see what its like there.

</div></div>
prepare-your-anus.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hogrider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks like a great set up.

Sent you a PM </div></div>

I shot you some info. Thanks!

Finally got my ammo from Southwest Ammunition today! Apparently there was a problem with a shipment of brass from winchester, so it took longer then expected. They promised me it would be here before i leave on friday, and it was. So thanks guys i appreciate it. If it shoots like the reviews i've heard, expect many more orders in the future.

ammocomp.jpg

boxofammo.jpg

400 rounds of .308 and 100 rounds of .300 win mag. I borrowed a friends rifle for the course(the 300), he wants me to get some data for him since i'll be going out further then he would ever have the chance to on Long Island.

Start my long drive friday morning, hopefully make it down there Sunday night.

FSRbikr98, I think you will have data coming out your ears after your time at NTRP! I'm jealous, though, you are taking my spot as "most miles traveled." Now I have to get stationed in Alaska or Germany to get my spot back.

A few things you need to do when you get to God's Country; #1 eat some BBQ. We cook Cow and Pigs here and both of them make you want to slap your momma it is so good. #2 Ask CKA to tell you about getting stranded in Kuwait. It ranks up there as one of the best stories I have heard. #3 work on your smiling muscles on the drive down. It will save your face from muscle cramps from laughing and smiling at you accomplishments with NTRP. #4 when you get to the range, relax and have a ball. I was strung tighter than a banjo string wanting to do well. Ask NTRP, he'll tell you about the "puke incident." #5 be prepared to never want to leave. Have fun and let CKA do the voodoo that he do!

texasvmi

I live about 5 miles from CKA and have been to his range numerous times. I still look forward to going each time. All the pics and personal descriptions don't do justice to being there first hand. The range is great. The hospitality is great and the instruction is top notch. It's not the usual class where it's you and 20 other people you don't know or trust to shoot next to. It will be 1 on 1 with you and Jay. No waiting on others, no range officer stopping you every 15 minutes and no bullshit, just training and shooting. You will go home with confidence and a sun burn. Mr. Rice has nice accommodations for you to stay comfortable and eat like a Texan. Have fun and let us know how it was.

This seems like a great course...I need to practice a bit more and take this course.

Jay has always been top notch. I can honestly say I have never had a better mentor be it civilian or military.

I am taking the PR1 class in mid July, I got to know CKA a little this year and he seems to be a good dude. I super excited to go take the class as I am new to anything past 200yds.