• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing northeast deer hunts

7.62_Reaper

Private
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2012
has anyone else that hunts the northeast ever notice that the deer are not that vocal compared to say out west like texas. i'm from Connecticut and i have a hard time to get deer to respond or react to my grunts bleats etc. whether they are bucks or does its typically the same.

if anyone else hunts over this way can give me some tips on calling deer closer, i have been hunting only for a couple of years so im still new at this

thanks josh

I hunt in PA. I think its hit or miss with grunts or doe bleats. Last year I called in a 4 point buck in a matter of a minute with a doe bleat call. He came running in and stopped. Was looking all over for a doe in heat. I then tried it many times after and nothing. From my own hunting experience the best way to get a deer is just to be out as much as possible and scouting as much as possible before the season starts.

I think the increased levels of hunting pressure in the east due to higher population densities plays a big a part in this. I think deer that aren't pressured much respond more predictably to calls than pressure cooked eastern (esp. PA, NJ, MD and NY) deer.