• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Northeast Hunting

sroc112

Private
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2024
USA
Any Northest Hunters on here?

Would like to plan my first hunting trip this fall. Considering Vermont, upstate NY, PA as a few options. Since it's my first time out, would really like to try and get out on a guided hunt, but my own online research right now is really all over the place in regard to pricing, reviews, etc.

Just looking for some feedback if any of yall have some good experiences in any of the surrounding states here.

Will do a deer hunt this fall, and then a turkey hunt next spring as I missed that for this year at this point with being prepared. Also considering a winter coyote hunt a bit more west come January/February. Would like to try a few different things over the course of the fall and into next year.

NY hunting isn't worth traveling for unless it's what is near by. Where are you located?

How much have you hunted the NE ?

I have lived in Connecticut all my life and have been hunting in upstate ny for years.

@sroc112 - out of the states you mentioned PA is by far your best bet for pretty good white tail and black bear hunting. If you are willing to go a little further, Ohio may be worth looking into. A guided hunt is expensive period, but not a bad way to get an education on your first go if you don't have family and friends who can help you.

Take a look at these forums for more hunting specific content:

Last edited:
Any Northest Hunters on here?

Would like to plan my first hunting trip this fall. Considering Vermont, upstate NY, PA as a few options. Since it's my first time out, would really like to try and get out on a guided hunt, but my own online research right now is really all over the place in regard to pricing, reviews, etc.

Just looking for some feedback if any of yall have some good experiences in any of the surrounding states here.

Will do a deer hunt this fall, and then a turkey hunt next spring as I missed that for this year at this point with being prepared. Also considering a winter coyote hunt a bit more west come January/February. Would like to try a few different things over the course of the fall and into next year.
I see now, when I saw NE I did not think of land that far south of Canada . I picture VT, Maine,NH,Northern NY.

If you don't have friends or family to give you guidance on getting started, go introduce yourself on one of those boards I've posted and ask for some guidance. You will get it. Lots of really great knowledge on those forums in terms of "getting started" and reviews on guides. You will save yourself a lot of time and money in doing so.

You mentioned turkey.... to all my family members and friends who showed interest in hunting, I told them the same thing. Go spring turkey hunting first. Because if you don't like that, you'll probably won't like deer hunting (with the cold factor added in).

Last edited:
If you don't have friends or family to give you guidance on getting started, go introduce yourself on one of those boards I've posted and ask for some guidance. You will get it. Lots of really great knowledge on those forums in terms of "getting started" and reviews on guides. You will save yourself a lot of time and money in doing so.
Will do, thanks!

Reactions: Obi-WanKannoli
Hunting for meat or a trophy? One nice thing about taking a young buck or doe is you'll eat good all winter. And if it's cool in your area you can hang the carcass in the garage and work on cutting and wrapping during the week after work.

North Central PA has tons of public land in the Allegheny National forest and the Susquehanna/elk state forest. Plenty of rentals around and you’ll see elk too.

Just know it’s not easy hunting. Very steep

I live in PA and hunt successfully on both private and public land. Let me just say that if you don’t have some established private land to hunt that’s been prepped for season, you better be ready to ruck some hills and do some dragging. I’ve found on-X to be my best weapon to find areas I believe other hunters won’t venture into or may pressure deer to.

I have a couple buddies that go to Ohio for archery and I’m telling you, the deer are larger there for some reason. Maybe consider OH too.

Reactions: YotaEer
ME has most of the things one could hunt. And a lot of them offered in guided tours. You can also do night coyote during the right time of spring. Day time Coy dog, in season year round.

Moose, whitetail, black bear, I know guys that have gone north for red stag, and caribou. You get up in the county, and there's lots of things to hunt.

It's not hunting on east coast....it's harvesting.

1713042059932.gif