• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Northern Wisconsin/Upper Peninsula trip

cast1

Polyhobbyism sufferer
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2011
I want to come to either eastern northern Wisconsin (Price county area) or the western Upper Peninsula area for a grouse hunt this October, probaly the week of the 18th. I’d like to hire a guide or at least get some tips so I’m not beating the same dirt all the other hillbillies from Kentucky are lol. Also, I worry a little that the snow will be flying by then. Anybody familiar or from around up there?

Can't help you on a guide, but sticking snow isn't typically there until after Thanksgiving. (Grew up there, and still have property).

It *has* snowed/sleeted on Halloween, though . . . miserable, but does not accumulate.

(To clarify, I am from a good way up the peninsula - fairly close to where the 396 inch snowfall record was set.)

Last edited:
I live in the UP

Can’t help on the grouse hunt as we just hunt state land. But it’s been a while since I’ve hunted grouse

I will say bird season starts the 15th of September. Hunting public land etc in mid to end of October will likely run you into many bow hunters as that’s typically when the rut is starting

FYI if we have to much snow to hunt in mid October I’m going to suck start a shotgun….so you can just hunt my spot

We’ve gone many recent rifle seasons (Nov 15-30) with no snow or very little

I’m in southern UP. The northern part near Marquette county typically sees a significant amount of snow compared to us due to lake effect

Price county is really considered North Central WI. You don’t need to worry about snow that time of year.
Plus it really doesn’t matter as the 2021 Grouse season has been cancelled in WI.

Reactions: 10ring'r
Price county is really considered North Central WI. You don’t need to worry about snow that time of year.
Plus it really doesn’t matter as the 2021 Grouse season has been cancelled in WI.
For real!?!? Wait, just looked at it. Looks like ruffed grouse is on, sharptail season is “under review”.

I want to come to either eastern northern Wisconsin (Price county area) or the western Upper Peninsula area for a grouse hunt this October, probaly the week of the 18th. I’d like to hire a guide or at least get some tips so I’m not beating the same dirt all the other hillbillies from Kentucky are lol. Also, I worry a little that the snow will be flying by then. Anybody familiar or from around up there?
Wakefield and Ironwood areas have good bird populations. Used to hunt there. Lived in the UP for many years. September timeframe will be best.

And I used to be a pretty good hunter. My father taught me to hike with a rifle when I was a kid told me all about the habits of birds. It was a fascinating thing to do. But my kids didn't support me. So, to console me, I took up photography. One day a friend and I found Lake Johnson, British Columbia, on https://karpiakcaravan.com/a-day-at-johnson-lake-bc-with-kids/. He took me along. And the friend had a photo gun with him. Knowing the habits of the forest birds and animals, I had no trouble taking some entertaining shots. The kids loved it. Now I take my son on hunting trips and give him my experience as a pathfinder. It is true that our trophies stay alive.

Last edited:
quite some time ago when i had good grouse dogs we hunted the Nicolet national forest. best grouse and woodcock hunt i ever went on, we stayed in a cabin rented from national forest service. we drove around and if it looked good it was dont know how the bird population is now you could always call the fish and game up there.

Depends how far/where in the UP. I've been up there when the snow was blowing sideways off the lake in early Oct.

fuck the CHEEZE HEADS.. most could'nt tell the difference between a chicken and a grouse..come to MN, come to MN, we got the birds!!