• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Norwegian Krag Service Rifle

DeltaFoxtrot

Private
Minuteman
Sep 27, 2023
Tampa, FL
My numbers matching M1894 Norwegian Krag Service Rifle 6.5X55 made at Kongsberg in 1919.

IMG_4116.jpeg

IMG_4114.jpeg

IMG_4113.png

IMG_4115.jpeg

No pics but I have an old Krag I bought for less than $200 at my LGS. I can't tell if it was cut down from a full length or its a shortened Krag Carbine. Serial number range matches either or. Can't believe how smooth the bolt on these old things are. Never seem to find ammo for it though.

Reactions: lash
No pics but I have an old Krag I bought for less than $200 at my LGS. I can't tell if it was cut down from a full length or its a shortened Krag Carbine. Serial number range matches either or. Can't believe how smooth the bolt on these old things are. Never seem to find ammo for it though.

Only two lugs, that is one reason. I have a few PPU rounds but I don't like them very much they seem much hotter then my hand loads.

They got cut down a great deal, if you put some photos up on gunboards those guys should be able to tell you if it is the real deal or not.

I have some loaded up rounds that "one day" I will go down and try out. I have just been too busy with other stuff to make the trip of 500 yards to the back corner of my property to shoot.....anything. I have a feeling I will need to mow back there again.

Only two lugs, that is one reason. I have a few PPU rounds but I don't like them very much they seem much hotter then my hand loads.

They got cut down a great deal, if you put some photos up on gunboards those guys should be able to tell you if it is the real deal or not.
If I remember it tonight I'll take it out and snap some pics. Year or two back I was looking at the parts I would need to turn it back into a proper Carbine (rear sight, new forend wood and band).

Wait till you see the absolute bubba sight job on it. :LOL:

What caliber is yours? Here in the states it’s most likely to be .30-40 Krag. There are still plenty of places that you can buy ammo for it. Heck, even Hornady still makes a custom ammo for it.

It was the first of my fathers centerfire rifles I ever shot. Good memories.

Krags have always fascinated me. The feel of the action, the “lunchbox” magazine, they’re just cool. I need to drag my “customized” ‘98 out and shoot it. It does have an old Bishop stock on it and is honestly a great feeling rifle. It needs a peep sight and a re-bore to something (.35 Krag?), I’ve just not done it. Bought it in Searcy, AR back around 2010 for somewhere just under $200.

Might tote it late season after a doe for giggles (said that for years, never have), it does like 165 Speer Hot Cores and 3031, it’s sewer pipe bore notwithstanding…..

What caliber is yours? Here in the states it’s most likely to be .30-40 Krag. There are still plenty of places that you can buy ammo for it. Heck, even Hornady still makes a custom ammo for it.

I'll be honest I have never shot it. Never felt like burning $40 on a box of 20 for it. I'm assuming it's still in .30-.40 Krag since I'm in NE.

If I remember it tonight I'll take it out and snap some pics. Year or two back I was looking at the parts I would need to turn it back into a proper Carbine (rear sight, new forend wood and band).

Wait till you see the absolute bubba sight job on it. :LOL:
Bubba, you say Bubba.

I don't remember if I posted these up or not, so here they go again?

Story behind this:

Father in law and his brother sometime in the 1950's go together and buy this rifle out of a "barrel" at a general store. He says they could not afford the springfield so they got the krag. I think the 1903 was $25 and the krag was $15. Father in law was the son of a share cropper with a dirt floor in very rural TN. I want to say 9 brothers and sisters. They used this rifle to poach the kings deer, yup poached. Only way to put meat on the table in bad times. It ended up with the brother and when he died the FiL wanted to know if we wanted it along with an auto 5.

They made it "Pretty".

To me, and it has nothing to do with the family history behind this, these get a pass. The world was a very different place back then. When the craze of cutting up Mosin 91/30's hit when those sold out of a crate for $80 that really ticked me off. By the time they finished with all the parts and work they had $300 in that rifle, more then a "bottom of the line" new hunting rifle like an Axis or something. It would shoot "worse" as well. My G43 was sportered in the 50's as well and I had to hunt high and low for a stock for that old gal, finally coming out of Poland....."one day" I will finish it. It has passed the head space test and looks good to shoot, fairly nice bore. I have a fist full of rounds loaded up for it, have had for a long time I just have not gone out to pull the trigger with it yet. I really should do it.

FiL is getting up there, they come out monthly for burgers and to bust flying orange discs, I want to put him behind the trigger again now that I know it is safe to shoot.

On to the photos.

1695910526223.png

1695910553870.png

1695910576493.png

1695910596761.png

1695910616013.png

6.5X55 Swedish.

I also have a Springfield 30-40 Krag

bubba.jpg

Bubba, you say Bubba.

I don't remember if I posted these up or not, so here they go again?

Story behind this:

Father in law and his brother sometime in the 1950's go together and buy this rifle out of a "barrel" at a general store. He says they could not afford the springfield so they got the krag. I think the 1903 was $25 and the krag was $15. Father in law was the son of a share cropper with a dirt floor in very rural TN. I want to say 9 brothers and sisters. They used this rifle to poach the kings deer, yup poached. Only way to put meat on the table in bad times. It ended up with the brother and when he died the FiL wanted to know if we wanted it along with an auto 5.

They made it "Pretty".

To me, and it has nothing to do with the family history behind this, these get a pass. The world was a very different place back then. When the craze of cutting up Mosin 91/30's hit when those sold out of a crate for $80 that really ticked me off. By the time they finished with all the parts and work they had $300 in that rifle, more then a "bottom of the line" new hunting rifle like an Axis or something. It would shoot "worse" as well. My G43 was sportered in the 50's as well and I had to hunt high and low for a stock for that old gal, finally coming out of Poland....."one day" I will finish it. It has passed the head space test and looks good to shoot, fairly nice bore. I have a fist full of rounds loaded up for it, have had for a long time I just have not gone out to pull the trigger with it yet. I really should do it.

FiL is getting up there, they come out monthly for burgers and to bust flying orange discs, I want to put him behind the trigger again now that I know it is safe to shoot.

On to the photos.

View attachment 8237281
View attachment 8237282
View attachment 8237284
View attachment 8237285
View attachment 8237286