• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NOS Vintage Redfield Accu-Rance 3-9x scope for M40 projet - Value and opinion

MescaBug

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2012
Baie-Comeau, Quebec
I bought a rifle from a nice gentleman yesterday. I was packing it up when I notice a Redfield scope box on a shelf, along with other misc stuff.

I asked if I could take a look at it. He said yes... I couldnt believe it.. This scope has never been mounted. It is brand new, not a scratch, turrets have never been touched. Original box with papers and all. Still has the sticker on it! Accu-range with the 200-600y tombstone and 2 top lines. Papers says: 18" reference wire.

Told me he bought it mid-60's. Papers are dated 66. He put it on the shelf 47 years ago, and its been sitting there since. He said; I'm glad you found it! My reply; didnt found it, its right there... It been there for so long, I guess he didnt see it anymore. The best thing about it, he gave it to me for free... I just couldnt believe it. I gave him some money, so I didnt feel cheap.. I found a set of Redfield rings in the box, brand new. They are stamped '1-66'.

I bought a similar Redfield scope a few weeks ago. Its used... I want to send it to Celtic Rifles to get it rebuilt and green anodized. But its not a 1st gen... doesnt have the '1" Tube" marking. This is for a M40 project.

Whats the value of a NOS scope like that? I see them on eBay often, 200-400$. But this is a NOS item.. Would you mount it on a rifle? Would you have it anodized?

Dont know what do to.. Opinions are welcomed!

IMG_2728_zps53f025a2.jpg

IMG_2731_zps03441412.jpg

IMG_2734_zpsc2371a05.jpg

IMG_2733_zpsca7e9e3c.jpg

IMG_2732_zpse58d5f17.jpg

IMG_2736_zps7fa77733.jpg

IMG_2737_zpsc9100658.jpg

MB ... that is a 1st gen and it does have the 1" tube markings on it. How do the lenses look, are they clear? Really great find! I would give Connor at Celtic a call and maybe he can give you a sense of what a virgin scope like this would be worth, maybe help you with your decision.

Mescabug, a great find, its remarkable what you can find out there and the 1-66 marked rings as well. As much as it pains me to say this, that scope is really the only scope that should be anodized green not the gen 2 which were satin anodizied just like the original Art Tel scopes. Although its such a rare find, it seems a pity to do anything with it. On page 141 of The One Round War, theres a great picture of one of the first M700 sniper rifles produced by Remington and shes wearing a gloss black accurange. As for price, several years ago a scope like this would have made 6+ plus on Ebay, the market does seem to have teetered off greatly, but its such a rare gem. I was fortunate to pick up an original satin anodized scope several years ago, although it was in very good condition, I had Ironsight recondition it for me, your scope its just a beautiful find.

I would think the value in this scope is that it is NOS. If/when you mount it, it's value may go down a bit. Other thing to consider is that it is a 45 year old scope at this point and the cosmoline seal (yes, internal grease is cosmoline) inside my have dried up a bit so a rebuild might not be a bad idea. Others may want to chime in here ...

I'll give Connor @ Celtic a call.

So it is possible that the very first M40 were equipped with gloss Redfields.. I've never seen a combat issued M40 with a gloss scope though. Tactically, thats a bad idea.. They probably never left the factory like that.

Rainier42: Lenses are in perfect condition. I'll snap a pic when the lighting is better.

If I mount it, it will be on a era-correct M40 clone. Value of the scope may go down, but it would be a shame to store it on a shelf again... I'd rather use it.

If it were mine I'd donate it to the Sniper museum at Ft. B. Ga.
That same model was bought from PX's and was used in 4 different country's long, long, ago.

I have my Dads scope ,its the twin to your find, I have it mounted on a Win mod 52 sporter, its my squirrel getter. One of the few non AO scopes that work with my old eyes. Put me on the list if U decide to sell. very best

I was watching it also. I contacted the seller for the serial. This one was P172**. I was curious about it since the catalog is from 1964 and it was listed as 1967? It had a 150-450y Accu-Range reticle... Not the usual 200-600.

Most 1st gen I saw had a serial beginning with 'Y' like mine.

I tried to bid on it, but eBay policies and buyers requirements prevented me from bidding on anything 'gun' related. I'm in Canada.....

Cant believe it sold for 99$. That's a steal!

EDIT: Serial begins with F, not Y. Brain fart.

Last edited: