• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nosler 175 gr HPBT Custom Competition OR Sierra 175 gr HPBT MK's

Deadshot2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2011
The Convergence Zone
I've shot both in my rifle and can't seem to see any discernible difference between the two other than about .007"-.010" difference in base to ogive measurement.

Both shoot well with the same charge weights giving me groups in the .250 MOA area on a regular basis. Neither one seems to have an advantage other than the Nosler having a higher published BC.

Is the Sierra actually worth the $40/thousand more in cost? Or ?????????

Just trying to see what others have experienced before I order again. I'll go with one or the other once my stock of each has been depleted.

Which should it be?

The price was the reason I went with the Nosler CC's in both the 175g 308 and the 77g 223 stuff. On a per round cost 2-4c doesnt look like much but over 1000 or 10000 rounds it adds up quickly.

I bought 1000 nosler cc 77gr .224 back a few years ago for the only reason that I couldn't justify the cost of the smks in that caliber; I thought they were grossly overpriced for 224 bullets. Plus, the noslers come in a thousand pack, which is nice. I never shot the 77 smks, but the nosler cc did ok.

If the nosler shoots just as well as the SMK why buy the SMK.

Right now I'm thinking that both bullets being "equal" the Noslers are going to be my choice. I go through a couple thousand of them per year and the price difference adds up. I was just wondering if the SMK had something I wasn't seeing that makes the price higher.

If SMK is so pricey I've always wondered why the hell can't they keep them consistent. The variances in base to ogive is overboard in my opinion.

If SMK is so pricey I've always wondered why the hell can't they keep them consistent. The variances in base to ogive is overboard in my opinion.

You've noticed that too? I only have three different "sizes" in the last 400 or so I have. The Nosler's are a WHOOOOOLE LOT more uniform. Nosler claims they package their bullets with all in the box from the same machine. Why couldn't Sierra do that rather than telling those who complain "We don't see a problem". I guess they don't need to worry with the 175 SMK being used in the MK316 Mod 0 "Sniper Round". They can pawn off all their irregular bullets on the Gov. Lord knows they'll buy almost anything.

BTW, SMK's aren't really that "pricey" (you have to buy Berger's to see high prices) but the Nosler's are a couple of "Andrew Jacksons" less per thou.

Try the 178 AMAX.

I have and I like them. Haven't been able to buy them for a while so I stocked up on SMK's when they came back on the market. When gone I'll use the Nosler's and A-max.

On the SMK's--

Last night I started another sorting session. I was sorting by base to ogive dimension and found that there were three different "groups", all from the same box of 500.
The base to ogive measurements were different but within each group the ogive to tip measurements were fairly even.

I took the largest group of equal base to ogive dimensions and ran them through my MCR meplat trimmer. I now have a batch of bullets that weight the same, have the same base to ogive measurements, and are also the same Overall length. Weights are +/- .1 gr and dimensions +/- .001"

Monday I'll see if it makes any difference. Last session I was pulling my hair out over the one or two shots that for no apparent reason jumped out of the main group. At 300 yards I'd get a group of three that were all touching and then a group of two about 3/4" away that were also touching each other. After seeing the variations in base to ogive measurement I'm thinking that might have played a role.