• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nosler .243 Brass

DB19

Private
Minuteman
Dec 27, 2022
I’m looking at buying some brass for my 243 and was curious about the quality of Nosler brass. I got a gift card for basspro and the brass would end up being a $1.06 a piece out of my pocket. Is that worth it?

Can you find Lapua for 120 per 100 or so? I don't have anything against Nosler brass, but for almost the same price as Lapua, Lapua is a no brainer; if you can find it.

Nosler was always soft for me. Never had good luck with it. To be fair, I was running it in a 22 Nosler gas gun which wasn’t very brass friendly

Reactions: 260284
I had some Nosler 260 brass and wasn't impressed. Go Lapua or Peterson if they make it.

So far the brass that I have found has been Hornady, Nosler and Lapua. Since this isn’t my competition gun I’ve been trying to keep it as budget friendly as possible.

Nosler was really soft and showed pressure before Remington in my 260.

I bought some nosler 243 brass for my son’s gun so I could tell it apart from my lapua 243 brass. Nosler brass was soft and did not hold up as well as the Lapua brass.

Hornady makes decent brass. My Nosler 280 brass is only 7 but holding up OK. But I only bought it because nothing else was available.

Get some Norma brass. You’ll burn the barrel out before the brass wears out.

Lapua is .03 more expensive then nosler. I think you'll get bet results and longer life with the lapua.

You can also get brass for as cheap as .60 a case. https://ammoseek.com/reloading/brass/243-winchester

What ever you do, buy a bunch of the same stuff. It's nice to have a minimum of 600 cases I think.

Not sure what load he's shooting, but 600 cases would be between 2 and 5 firings on the brass running the 2 extremes for barrel life. I have shot a lot of 243 Ackley in prs. I ran the same 400 WW cases for 3 barrels. All barrels went to 2500 rounds with H1000 before I pulled them. Some of the brass has close to 20 firings on it.

If not a match gun, I would buy 100 pcs of lapua or Peterson brass. Running a box of 500 Peterson right now through 2 different 243 Ackley barrels and it shoots really well.

Not sure what load he's shooting, but 600 cases would be between 2 and 5 firings on the brass running the 2 extremes for barrel life. I have shot a lot of 243 Ackley in prs. I ran the same 400 WW cases for 3 barrels. All barrels went to 2500 rounds with H1000 before I pulled them. Some of the brass has close to 20 firings on it.

If not a match gun, I would buy 100 pcs of lapua or Peterson brass. Running a box of 500 Peterson right now through 2 different 243 Ackley barrels and it shoots really well.
I went ahead and bought 100 lapua cases. Like you said as a hunting rifle I wouldn’t likely need more.

Reactions: 260284
I usually figure I can burn out a 243 or 22-250 with 100 pieces of brass.
Challenge Accepted Let The Challenge Commence GIF - Challenge Accepted Let  The Challenge Commence Elmo - Discover & Share GIF… | Challenge accepted,  Challenges, Gif

• Haha
Reactions: supercorndogs