• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nosler brass thoughts and information?

ArcticFun

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2009
Wasilla, Alaska
I recently picked up about 40 rounds of Nosler Custom Match 168gr .308 Winchester. I'm wondering how the brass will compare to say Winchester brass? From just a hands on inspection of once fired brass between the two it looks like Nosler has slightly better quality. I'm wondering what the expected reload life will be with a mid level powder charge and all the standard case prep for long range shooting.

Thanks.

Re: Nosler brass thoughts and information?

After speaking with several Nosler tech reps. over the last couple years, I've been able to piece together this:

Nosler does NOT make their own brass
Nosler contracts their brass out
Nosler at one time had Norma make their brass
Nosler has the right to sell you brass made by anybody they choose and as long as that <span style="font-style: italic"><span style="font-weight: bold">box</span></span> meets their spec, they're OK with that.

I bought some 300WM brass from them 3 years ago, about the time a tech rep let it slip that Norma was making their brass. It's been phenomenal. 20+ loadings in 300WM and incredible accuracy. I did NOTHING to prep them and out of four boxes they did not vary more than 1/2 grain.

About a year later I bought 3 more boxes. They were over 10 grains different. This is when the truth started to come to the surface. Suddenly the tech reps were quite coy about who made their brass and reports surfaced about quality issues.

I no longer have any reason to believe that Norma is involved at all. Do I believe that Nosler built their reputation on Norma brass and then switched to cheaper, lower quality brass? That would be quite an accusation. But there are many question marks surrounding Nosler's ability to supply quality brass.

John

cost too much for me.rather buy Lapua for a little more and get 50 more pcs.

Sadly Lapua brass is cheaper. I was hoping to get some life out of the brass without having to junk it. For me Nosler brass is roughly $55 for 50 and Lapua brass is $70 for 100.

Is there any disrepencies with the Nosler factory loaded ammunition? Do they have higher QC over their ammunition or does it fall into the same problems that just the brass alone has?

Hopefully the cases I get out of this already loaded ammunition is of atleast decent quality. I'll have to weigh them all and give them a more than just glance next time I handle them.

I've never had any Nosler brass. Always thought that Norma made it. Norma brass is pretty consostent, but pretty soft, also. It definitely isn't Lapua. No better than Winchester in my mind.......