• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

nosler brass vs norma brass

42769vette

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2009
liberty indiana
i know your saying not another x vs y thread but

whats your favorite of the 2 brasses. it will be for a 260 so lapua isn't a option. of the 2 one is 104 dollars and one is 102 dollars so the price is the same. im trying to decide wich of the 2 to use for f-class if i decide not to neck up lapua 243 brass

Re: nosler brass vs norma brass

I've shot both and own both and in my opinion only, I prefer the Nosler. Nosler is ready to go and the weights have been more consistent. Only 2 people I know that shoot competition with a 260 use Nosler brass and are very happy with it.

I use Nosler in my 280ACK. Partly because they make headstamped 280ACK, but also because it is really nice to not have to do all the brass sorting and prep. Take it out of the box, prime, charge, seat, shoot, what a joy!

I do not buy norma cases. But I do love the nosler brass. It is already pre weighed, sorted, and weighed. Just prime and seat bullet. Love Nosler Brass.

I use both! I don't think you can go wrong with either. There are rumors in the industry that Norma makes Nosler Custom. FWIW ... I just weighed some 300 RUM Nosler Custom and it weighs almost 5 grains heavier than my heaviest lot of Rem brass. Very excited to try this!

When I got my 10FCP back last January I got 5 boxes of Nosler brass and came out with 3 different lot numbers and there wasn't but .8 grain variation between 250 rds. Nosler in 308 brass is 20 gr heavier than Winchester, 10 more than Remington, Federal is the closest in weight to all the brass I have weighed, being within 2 or 3 grains of the same case weights. Have to watch the speeds with the Nosler brass because it takes less powder to get max speeds because of less case volume. It's even about 5 grains heavier than Lapua but loads about the same. I've found I can drop about .2 gr of powder and keep the same speeds with the Nosler that I get with my Lapua.

News to me !!!!
Thanks for the info
Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gettn2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use both! I don't think you can go wrong with either. There are rumors in the industry that Norma makes Nosler Custom. FWIW ... I just weighed some 300 RUM Nosler Custom and it weighs almost 5 grains heavier than my heaviest lot of Rem brass. Very excited to try this! </div></div>

I use the Nosler in .308. It is extremely consistent in weight, and uniformity. It weighs closest to Federal brass, but I haven't weighed the Norma to compare.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gettn2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are rumors in the industry that Norma makes Nosler Custom. </div></div>

The tech guy at Nosler told me this when I bought my 300wm brass. Not sure if they still do or not. The stuff I bought was top notch brass. No prep required. Shoots great out of the box.

I have over 10 loadings to date on this brass and it's holding up a lot better than Federal.

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dntfxr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the Nosler in .308. It is extremely consistent in weight, and uniformity. It weighs closest to Federal brass, but I haven't weighed the Norma to compare. </div></div>
On a 100 case average my Norma is 10 grains lighter than the Nosler and the same weight as 40 pieces of Remington I had to check weights against. This isn't precise because I didn't have a hundred of each cases but it is a fair sampling I think. Norma, Nosler, and Lapua were all within 1 grain of the same case weights with the exception I had 4 cases out of a 100 of the Norma that were 2 to 3 grains light for some reason. The last 500 batch of Winchester were much better than in times past kick out 10 or 15 rounds on either end and they were within a 5 grain spread, much better than what I've seen in years past. It's just takes a ton of work to get them where the premium brass is right out of the box. Necks are also horrible and if you turn them as I do it takes bushing dies to get the neck tension on them. The Norma, Nosler, and Lapua necks are all about .015 and uniform enough I've never turned any of them tho in the last bunch of Lapua I had 4 rounds that seemed to throw a flier and marked them the last time out and checked them when I got home and the Neck thickness on them were closer to .013 than the .015 norm so I scraped them for work up brass.

308 Weights:

Black Hills Match: 157.3 (80 X)
Winchester: 158.9gr (100x)
Frontier Brass (Hornady): 159.9gr (60x)
Winchester Nickel: 165.5gr (27x)
Norma: 165.7 (100X)
Remington: 166.3gr (40x)
"NNY" Brass: 167.5gr (10X)
Lapua: 172.5 (100X)
Federal: 176.5gr (100x)
Nosler Brass: 177.8 (250X)
"PMP" Brass: 178.0gr (20x)