• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nosler Custom Competition and RDF's... Worth messing with?

DIBBS

Old Mountain Man-Tired occasionally Grumpy SOB
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 21, 2008
    WARSHington State
    I have used Nosler 77 CC's in a fast twist 223 with good results. I have also loaded 140 CC's in 6.5 Creedmoor for my son and a friend with reasonable results, both shooting Ruger RPR's. It's been a while, though.

I understand that early production RDF's had many folks tossing them and calling them random damn fliers. Did Nosler solve the issue with RDF's or are there still problems, as the published BC's are impressive.

How is lot to lot consistency on those using Custom Competitions on a regular basis?

Has everyone pretty much given up on the RDF's?

Thanks.

Last edited:
    I'm testing some now that were sent to me. Still have to see what they do with a really long jump but so far, about .75" group is the best I can get out of them.

Reactions: DIBBS
    I've had better luck with the CC's over the RDF's. I've tried the 22 cal. 70 & 77 RDF and the 30 cal. 175 RDF. I couldn't get any of the RDF's to shoot well in two rifles. I bought some 30 cal 168 RDF's last year, loaded some up for testing, but I haven't been able to get out to try them yet.

22 cal. 69 & 77 CC's have shot decently, but not as well as their Sierra counterparts out of two AR's. The 30 cal. 155's, 168's and 175's CC's shoot very well out of four of my 308 rifles.

If The 168 RDF's don't shoot well, I'm done with them. They are the last ones of the RDF line that I'm going to try.

Been shooting 6.5 140gr RDF in 6.5X47 and 6.5Saum. Both are at .3 at 100yd and predictable with great results out to 1250yds at my home range. That is my max range available. So yeah they have worked for me.

Been shooting 6.5 140gr RDF in 6.5X47 and 6.5Saum. Both are at .3 at 100yd and predictable with great results out to 1250yds at my home range. That is my max range available. So yeah they have worked for me.
    What barrel and what powder are you using? I read on a forum when I was looking for info that 4350 would be better suited for the rdf and keep the 6.5Staball for the bergers. The bergers definitely shoot lights out with staball but bergers pretty much always shoot lights out. Under .3 very consistently for berger VLD's, they are just super hard to get

I tried 70 and 77gr .224 RDF's and 105gr 6mm. They lured me in with high BC's and enough amazing 3 shot groups to keep me interested. But the flyers finally drove me nuts and I don't see myself trying them again.
    The CC's have been good, but not amazing. Maybe 10-20% larger groups than SMK's.

I shoot the 105 RDF out of a 1:8 28" barreled 6BR and am happy with it. Bergers are probably better but the steel targets don't seem to care.

I shoot the 140gr RDFs out of my 6.5 Creed Criterion and they just pain shoot. 41gr H4350 is amazing…..

I shoot the 140gr RDFs out of my 6.5 Creed Criterion and they just pain shoot. 41gr H4350 is amazing…..
    I've been thinking about trying them in my shorty bartlein to help make up some for lost velocity, and also the cost.

That may be the trouble I'm having getting it to group in the .3's or better. I read another guy say "stick the 6.5staball under the bergers and 4350 under the RDF". Might should try that

I think Sierra makes a better bullet but back when you could get 1K of the 77CC for $130, I shot a whole lot of them out of my AR, and the difference between the two wasn't enough to worry about.

I've had some success with the 70 RDF in a 1:9 twist R700. They are very jump sensitive and I had mediocre results in my AR. I have some 85 RDF that I want to try in my 223 1:7 Krieger.