• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nosler m48 mountain carbon or Proof elevation light weight hunter?

treetrimmer_01

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 5, 2012
Shonkin, MT
I need a new hunting rifle for an elk hunt this fall. I can't decide between the Nosler m48 mountain carbon or the Proof Research elevation lightweight hunter. My caliber of choice is 300 win mag. Which one of these rifles would you choose and why? Also any insight on why all other Proof rifles are sub 1/2moa guarantee but the elevation is only sub moa guarantee? Thanks for the help.

I don't know a lot about Nosler rifles. But the Proof Research Elevation is a proven 'custom' rifle based on components so that would be my choice.

I've had a chance to handle both rifles, and if it where me I'd take the Proof. I really like the overall feel of the Nosler but don't much care for their action. IMHO the Proof with the Bighorn Origin is a nicer action. Also, depending on your likes, the Proof stock is a really nice stock for a hunting rig, I liked it enough to build a rifle with one and just got it this week, so far I'm liking it more and more.

Good luck on your choice - hope it brings much hunting luck!!

I have the Proof MTR in 6.5 PRC.

Very nice rifle.

Also very light.

Even with a brake, it will take perfect form to avoid high flyers in 300 WM.

Exactly the right round for elk by the way.

Contrary to popular belief, rifles can be too light to be shootable.

Good luck with your choice.

I've had a chance to handle both rifles, and if it where me I'd take the Proof. I really like the overall feel of the Nosler but don't much care for their action. IMHO the Proof with the Bighorn Origin is a nicer action. Also, depending on your likes, the Proof stock is a really nice stock for a hunting rig, I liked it enough to build a rifle with one and just got it this week, so far I'm liking it more and more.

Good luck on your choice - hope it brings much hunting luck!!
Did you glass bed the Proof Research stock on your rifle build?

Did you glass bed the Proof Research stock on your rifle build?
Yes, it has been glass bedded even though I think Proof says you don't need to with the v-block in the stock. My smith though in the end it would be better and I agree based on how everything came together and they way it shoots. I'll be doing the same on the next one:)

Yes, it has been glass bedded even though I think Proof says you don't need to with the v-block in the stock. My smith though in the end it would be better and I agree based on how everything came together and they way it shoots. I'll be doing the same on the next one:)
Thanks for the response. I am in the process of a rifle build using a Defiance anTi, Proof stock and barrel.
I have been on the fence about glass bedding the Proof stock or not.

Reactions: Oregonmuley
Thanks for the response. I am in the process of a rifle build using a Defiance anTi, Proof stock and barrel.
I have been on the fence about glass bedding the Proof stock or not.
Shaen @ Shaen Rifles did all the work on mine and IMHO it turned out fantistic. Heck if a nice guy to work with.
414467674.jpg

i would also go with a proof, i did the same thing last year went with a mesa precision ti action proof barrel and their stock. best guys i ever worked with on a custom build. it shoots 215 Berger's in one hole took it out to 900 yds. all i need to do is get out elk hunting again. o yes its a 300 mag they also gave me 500. off for le mil discount. i think it weights about 5.5 lbs i put a nf actar 4by16 and its still not heavy. you might want to give them a look also.