• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Nosler vs Sierra

LARMIKE

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 9, 2009
SE USA
I am getting back into Service rifle competition and I have a question which I may already know. Well Maybe. I have used Sierra projos and have limited knowledge on the Nosler CC bullets. I shot a few matches with the Nosler cc and would like to know if anyone out there has noticed a real difference between the two bullets. I can get the Nosler's about $10 cheaper per 500. Thanks, Mike

Re: Nosler vs Sierra

This was addressed in another thread here. While SMK's are te standard. The Nos. CC's hold their own, and they are a better buy. I shoot the 168's and Bergers. Same load data, same results at 100.

Their prospective websites are reporting the BC for each, and of course Sierra says theirs is a higher BC. The only positive to sierra is the 500count box. where as the Nosler's are 250. I know I will segregate the 80's by weight but the short range I won't. I swage my short range projos. Mike

I did a lot of testing with them a couple of years ago and had better luck in the long run with the Sierra's. Pretty sure the Nosler is a lot thicker jacket. I had a 4 ft thick bale of tightly packed cardboard and shot 10 rounds of each into the pile and actually had 2 of the Noslers make it all the way through. 9 of the Noslers retained the jacket and only one peeled it off. Also had the Noslers tumble through the cardboard. The sierras all opened up into a cavity about 10" to 16" deep into the cardboard and didn't find any pieces big enough to be able to tell what caliber they were. Makes me think the Noslers would make a heck of a varmint bullet but to my understanding the softer jacket is more ideal for a target bullet.

My brother and I are still shooting Sierra in the 308 and 30-06 due to the fact we have a good supply of bullets on hand.

My oldest boy has recently got a 308 going. It likes Hornady 168 Match about as well as Sierra. I suspect Noslers would be in the same catagory. For a Field Tactical rifle I doubt one can tell much difference in the bullets. Sierra bullet prices have really went up in the last year or so. When I run out for my 308, I suspect Noslers or Hornady will be my next bullets.