• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Nosler's new 6.5 mm cartridge

Unknown

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2009
Pacific Northwest,USA
I sure hope this isn't a duplicate. I couldn't find another thread on it, so sorry if it is a dupe, and feel free to delete this thread. It looks like Nosler will be putting out a new 6.5mm cartridge that should launch a 129 grain bullet at 3400 fps. Obviously, someone will be necking it down to 6mm...probably around 3500-3600 fps. Great... barrels that last 800 rounds, but shoot like a laser until the throat is gone.

Nosler unveils world's most powerful 6.5mm commercial cartridge | The Daily Caller

I think I would prefer that someone come out with a 6.5mm bullet weighing around 155-165 grains grains, then this rifle could launch those at around 3000 fps...It would be really interesting to see how high of a BC could be achieved with a 6.5 mm bullet weighing 155-165 grains.

Last edited:
There is very little truly new stuff...Like you said, almost all of it has probably already been done. Heck, people necked down and blew out the 30-06 case over 50 years ago.

I'm guessing it is going to look a lot like a 6.5 Allen Express.

I wonder if brass is going to be cheaper than the 6.5 SAUM brass. Very interesting that Nosler is doing this. Very interesting indeed.

If the round can be chambered in guns that run $500-$1200, then that would be a boon, as not everybody can, or wants to, drop the money on a custom build to get into the 6.5 SAUM cartridge. I wonder if this one will stick around or if it is going to fade into obscurity.

Last edited:
In the tactical community, I think most people will stay with more common rounds, because of barrel life, and cost for ammo.

The only advantage of this round that I can think of is it's ability to extend how far a hunter can shoot without having to adjust their sights. Sure, it would be nice to be able to hold dead on out to 400 yards, but the number of people who have the skill to actually hit well enough to take advantage of this wouldn't seem to be a very large market share. Maybe Nosler is looking at the cartridge that will follow up the 6.5x284 for F-class type shooting at 1000 yards. I wonder what Nosler sees as the market for this round.

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you "should" do it. A couple of examples are the side by side 1911 type pistol, and the side by side AR15..great machine work, but it's useful applications are pretty few.

The 26 Nosler is based off the 375 Ruger case and is a long action cartridge. Nothing really different from the 264 WinMag or 6.5-06 and a handful of other 6.5mm's. One thing it's going to be a barrel scorcher for sure.

Those have been around a while. Try getting some. The bc you quoted is at 3600 fps, average fired out of any cartidge at distance would be much lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• sarcasmMeter-1266531711.jpg
    sarcasmMeter-1266531711.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 23
I don't know of any manufacturers that are making a 6.5mm barrel with a twist rate unde 7.0, which is what they recommend in that link.

Most custom barrel makers will make anything you order. I know Bartlein will. Brux has done some off the wall stuff for me as well.

People already avoid 6.5 - 284 due to the relatively short barrel life, favoring 6.5 Creedmoor and the like. Not sure this one's going to be a big hit...

Sounds like the same performance as a 6.5-06, 6.5 -06 AI, 260 Newton, 264 Brenneke, 264 Win Mag, 6.5 Wby, 6.5 WSM etc.

There is a functional upper limit for how fast you can push a lot of these bullets because they require a certain twist rate to remain stable and yet the case pushes them so fast that they come apart. A friend of mine and I have had some experiences where 140 Amax, 140 Berger, and 140 SMK (didn't shoot the 142's) blew up in 8tw 6.5-06 rifles over 3250fps

The fact that it isn't a belted mag case is a small benefit but nothing that isn't already solved by handloaders everywhere.

I don't know of any manufacturers that are making a 6.5mm barrel with a twist rate unde 7.0, which is what they recommend in that link.

They also have high speed dynamic stability issues, which the manufacturer insists are not there and the users are "doing it wrong"... yet they quote a BC at 3600fps and the bullets won't remain stable there.

The numbers on the GSC website are all calculated from McDrag which is known to be innaccurate with multi-band bullets and the guy who developed it (Dr Robert McCoy) states that explicitly.

Don Lahr is proto'ing a 157gr for me as soon as he get the new carbide dies. His first attempt split his forming dies....
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

Sounds like the same performance as a 6.5-06, 6.5 -06 AI, 260 Newton, 264 Brenneke, 264 Win Mag, 6.5 Wby, 6.5 WSM etc.

There is a functional upper limit for how fast you can push a lot of these bullets because they require a certain twist rate to remain stable and yet the case pushes them so fast that they come apart. A friend of mine and I have had some experiences where 140 Amax, 140 Berger, and 140 SMK (didn't shoot the 142's) blew up in 8tw 6.5-06 rifles over 3250fps

The fact that it isn't a belted mag case is a small benefit but nothing that isn't already solved by handloaders everywhere.

They also have high speed dynamic stability issues, which the manufacturer insists are not there and the users are "doing it wrong"... yet they quote a BC at 3600fps and the bullets won't remain stable there.

The numbers on the GSC website are all calculated from McDrag which is known to be innaccurate with multi-band bullets and the guy who developed it (Dr Robert McCoy) states that explicitly.

Some friends have had the same problem with their 6.5-257W. Bullets blowing up and getting worse as the barrel firecracks.

I wonder how Lapua's 144 FMJ would do in the 26 Nosler?

I think 6.5 is do for some heavier high BC bullets.

I think there may be a small niche for the 26 Nosler. That niche being the world of LRH for guys who don't or won't reload. Factory ammo for a cartridge of that potency doesn't grow on trees.... As a comp cartridge it's worthless & in the world of possibilities offered to reloader, it will do nothing my 6.5wsm won't do; again, making it somewhat of a moot point. However, loaded with some of the 160grn Matrix VLD's on top of some slow burnin' powder... maybe it will have some worth.

As far as short barrel life goes... who gives a shit. It's not a comp cartridge. If you can afford a Nosler rifle to shoot this new cartridge, i'm sure you can afford a Creed' to shoot in comps.

t

..and after the rich Dentist gut shoots the Big Elk with his new 6.5 nosler, his guide will drop it with a .270Win. as it's running away.

A bit confused on your statement RonA...... are you saying the 6.5's cant drop a large game animal?

Some friends have had the same problem with their 6.5-257W. Bullets blowing up and getting worse as the barrel firecracks.

I wonder how Lapua's 144 FMJ would do in the 26 Nosler?

I think 6.5 is do for some heavier high BC bullets.

Bingo! You would think with that vast popularity that the caliber is seeing that companies would be exploring higher BC bullets. I would like to see a 145gr or 148gr projectile. But someone has already mentioned the concept of a 147gr bullet coming out eventually.

A bit confused on your statement RonA...... are you saying the 6.5's cant drop a large game animal?

I think he was saying that the cartridge will be sold to Walter Mitty who will fuck up the shot and then his guide will use a 25 year old rifle in a 90 year old caliber to kill the animal just the same way they've been killed for the past 90+ years.

Absolutely not. 6.5 is an outstanding caliber. The average person that buys into the "Most powerful 6.5 on the planet" hype at the gun shop probably will have his scope mounted at the shop where he bought the rifle, and the first round through it will probably be sent in the general direction of it's intended victim with eyes shut and a trigger jerk that will chip the finish on the guard screws.

Absolutely not. 6.5 is an outstanding caliber. The average person that buys into the "Most powerful 6.5 on the planet" hype at the gun shop probably will have his scope mounted at the shop where he bought the rifle, and the first round through it will probably be sent in the general direction of it's intended victim with eyes shut and a trigger jerk that will chip the finish on the guard screws.

Now that is funny stuff right there :) & all too true.

t

Haha, I love it! Well said, I agree completely. Why Nosler would bother is a total mystery.

Have yall not heard of the 160gr Matrix bullets? Elkaholic over on longrangehunting has been launching them out of his 6.5 Short Sherman(RSAUM) at ~3020 fps. He says it comes in close to a ~.700 G1. Serious load for sure, damn close to a .300 RUM with 215 Bergers at 3100 fps. Im not sure if hes on SH but I know Broz is.

Have yall not heard of the 160gr Matrix bullets? Elkaholic over on longrangehunting has been launching them out of his 6.5 Short Sherman(RSAUM) at ~3020 fps. He says it comes in close to a ~.700 G1. Serious load for sure, damn close to a .300 RUM with 215 Bergers at 3100 fps. Im not sure if hes on SH but I know Broz is.

I've heard G1's anywhere from .680 -.700 & all over the map in between. I'm @ 3100 with the 6.5wsm & am hoping for 3150-ish before I pressure out.

t

Yes, excellent! I was just confirming! :D I completely agree with you now!

I saw a middle aged guy in a gun store once that was buying a bolt action rifle. He got his fancy 300WSM and had them mount a Leupold scope. The guy mounted it so the windage knob was the elevation knob, and so far back there was no way to get on the stock correctly. He didn't know any better and Im sure he missed a huge buck on his hunting trip.

I think Nosler is trying to ride the popularity wave. They will cash in on a few people but once they get shooting they may lose interest.

Same thing people said about fellas buying Weatherbys in the 60s and 70s...

But if he has an Allen Engineering suppressor mounted on that new rifle the rich dentist won't be disturbing the peace!

Barrel life issues can be addressed with cryogenically and chemically treating the steel or coating in Melonite to extend the life of the bore, throat, chamber, etc. There's also chrome plating, but that's considered old school, now, I think. Of course, this all would add to the price of your rifle, but that's just something you have to deal with when using such and 'overbore' cartridge.

Barrel life issues can be addressed with cryogenically and chemically treating the steel or coating in Melonite to extend the life of the bore, throat, chamber, etc. There's also chrome plating, but that's considered old school, now, I think. Of course, this all would add to the price of your rifle, but that's just something you have to deal with when using such and 'overbore' cartridge.

It's a barrel burner period! Also from what I'm hearing you cannot get a slow enough burning powder to get the 140gr. bullets at decent speeds. I love 6.5's don't get me wrong but you won't see me building one of these. If you want something different to play with etc...that's fine. I've got a .264win. mag. That was the first custom rifle I ever built but even that one is over case capacity.

Chrome plating doesn't help barrel life. Neither does cryo treating. Melonite seems promising but right now am getting data that suggests it might be causing problems with pressures etc...also if the Melontite treatment is not done correctly it can wreck the barrel as well.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

I shot the 160 matrix out of 6.5 SAUM. Was getting just over 3000fps. Shot very well.

Used Retumbo.

..and after the rich Dentist gut shoots the Big Elk with his new 6.5 nosler, his guide will drop it with a .270Win. as it's running away.
In the early 90's,on a caribou hunt in Quebec...
One of the clients in camp,took a south-end shot at a north-bound black bear with a .264 WM...
Blood was found,the bear never was...
Conclusion for him and his buddies...???
6.5 bullets are not enough for bear...
I asked which bullet he was using and I was told "Remington"...
Two days later,I killed one with a 25-06 and was told I was just lucky...and foolish...!
But then I've always been foolish...!